Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Oval

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

snotboogie wrote: »
    I think the question should be what bus routes we can add rather than how we can skim back on the only route that works. Our public transport is a joke

Not in the context we are dealing with here though. If there are very few people travelling between Ballincollig and Carrigaline on a Saturday evening other than these scum then no need for it. Cut the direct link off.
    Not going to solve the problem though so probably no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Everytime I have ever gotten the bus it has been late. And I get the 220 6/7 times during a normal week.

Have you ever tried getting the 206? Or really any other bus service in the city (save maybe the 202) it's totally normal to be waiting 30-40 minutes or more. At least with the 220 the frequency compensates for the inefficiency.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Have you ever tried getting the 206? Or really any other bus service in the city (save maybe the 202) it's totally normal to be waiting 30-40 minutes or more. At least with the 220 the frequency compensates for the inefficiency.

Can we stick to the subject at hand please rather than discussing how well or badly the public transport works in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

dmakc wrote: »
    If they're dumb enough to put the attack on their snap story - they're dumb enough to pat themselves on the back anonymously

That page has been proven to be a right wing Irish nationalist support account, hardly the sort that would be making comments like that.

If you can find me tweets or comments from actual real profiles patting themselves on the back for what happened I might believe you, but until then I’m inclined to believe that these comments are being made by racists who are trying to incite outrage among white people.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Glory83

SusieBlue wrote: »
    That page has been proven to be a right wing Irish nationalist support account, hardly the sort that would be making comments like that.

If you can find me tweets or comments from actual real profiles patting themselves on the back for what happened I might believe you, but until then I’m inclined to believe that these comments are being made by racists who are trying to incite outrage among white people.

I do agree with you. Think about IRA, Travelers, drug gangs how Black gangs can fare against them. It was just a stupid misbehaved mixed race scumbag whose neither White Irish mother nor Black father raised him well. The majority of Black people who live in Ireland are hardworking people who are not looking for troubles. You find good and bad apples in every race and nationality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

After seeing that video ( I wish I hadnt) I'm really shocked to learn that the perpetrator is released and back on Snapchat telling his friends he is back on the streets. Or is there more to this story... surely the video evidence was enough. I'm as shocked that he is at home as much that his parents considered it ok to give him the phone back. Am I very naive? I can't imagine what I'd do if he was mine but he certainly wouldn't be back online and casually gloating.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

After seeing that video ( I wish I hadnt) I'm really shocked to learn that the perpetrator is released and back on Snapchat telling his friends he is back on the streets. Or is there more to this story... surely the video evidence was enough. I'm as shocked that he is at home as much that his parents considered it ok to give him the phone back. Am I very naive? I can't imagine what I'd do if he was mine but he certainly wouldn't be back online and casually gloating.

Irish Times saying he is in custody and can be kept for up to 24 hours

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Irish Times saying he is in custody and can be kept for up to 24 hours

I do hope so.. my son's are friends on Snapchat with people from his school and was sent a screenshot of a snap from him but maybe it was fake. Alot of the teenagers seem shocked naturally and even more confused at the idea that he could be released so quickly.

Thread title changed? Someone complain? At least change it to something meaningful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

What’s worrying me is this isn’t an isolated incident in this city. There’s been a spate of stabbings over the last few months, including a cold blooded murder carried out by a teen.

There’s something going on with a notion that life is cheap. It needs to be dealt with. Cork never felt particularly unsafe to me but it has done over the last few months.

I’m also really shocked by the amount of heroin use I’ve been seeing over the last couple of years. I’ve had the horrible scene of arriving back to my car at a city centre multi-storey, to find two junkies in a stupor right next to my front wheel, having just shot up.

Also needles on the ground in car parks, even encountered one just thrown on the pavement on Patrick’s Bridge.

This isn’t a race issue. It’s a home grown Corkonian scumbag issue and it needs to be dealt with by actually having visible policing.

I’ve seen some REALLY rough stuff around town over the last few years and have reported it.
    If you don’t deal with these minor incidents they can grow legs and you end up with bigger issues.

Take during the pandemic lockdown, the city centre felt almost like it had been abandoned by the authorities.

I’m not arguing for heavy handed policing, just a visible Garda presence and actually tackle antisocial behaviour.

• Advertisement

In relation to the dreadful race angle that is being pushed. There seems to be zero proof of this and it seems to be a load of fast right arseholes trying to push it on social media pushing it. (seen people as far away as colorado saying it... It's also a bit telling that they're putting the video up on Bitchute.

What’s worrying me is this isn’t an isolated incident in this city. There’s been a spate of stabbings over the last few months, including a cold blooded murder carried out by a teen.

There’s something going on with a notion that life is cheap. It needs to be dealt with. Cork never felt particularly unsafe to me but it has done over the last few months.

I’m also really shocked by the amount of heroin use I’ve been seeing over the last couple of years. I’ve had the horrible scene of arriving back to my car at a city centre multi-storey, to find two junkies in a stupor right next to my front wheel, having just shot up.

Also needles on the ground in car parks, even encountered one just thrown on the pavement on Patrick’s Bridge.

This isn’t a race issue. It’s a home grown Corkonian scumbag issue and it needs to be dealt with by actually having visible policing.

I’ve seen some REALLY rough stuff around town over the last few years and have reported it.
    If you don’t deal with these minor incidents they can grow legs and you end up with bigger issues.

Take during the pandemic lockdown, the city centre felt almost like it had been abandoned by the authorities.

I’m not arguing for heavy handed policing, just a visible Garda presence and actually tackle antisocial behaviour.

It's the arrogance of recording it .. there seems to be zero fear of consequences. If it's true that these young lads were involved in another recorded attack in the same week then parents literally need to keep their kids in. That young girl who was incredibly brave and courageous to step in and try to protect him must be experiencing considerable trauma right now.
    I donated to the gofundme account, this was never a race issue for me.. I see gurriers attacking a young fella and girl now shocked to see the go fund me has been suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Everytime I have ever gotten the bus it has been late. And I get the 220 6/7 times during a normal week.
    I was getting the 220 bus 10 times a week before my business shut down and it turned up on time every hour of the day even on the late night routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ludo wrote: »
    Thread title changed? Someone complain? At least change it to something meaningful.

Maybe a scumbag whose feelings were hurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The fact of the matter is that the Gardai are pouring all the money into Dublin policing and leaving the rest to fend for themselves. I feel sorry for the Gardai in Cork. Fighting a losing battle when the head men in Phoenix Park couldn't care less about down here.

The fact of the matter is that the Gardai are pouring all the money into Dublin policing and leaving the rest to fend for themselves. I feel sorry for the Gardai in Cork. Fighting a losing battle when the head men in Phoenix Park couldn't care less about down here.

I really hate asking this...but can you provide more details and stats on this please. I am interested in seeing the figures.

Actually never mind: https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/human-resources-and-people-development/garda-hr-directorate/garda-numbers-by-division-and-station-breakdown.html

4134 Gardai in Dublin
    730 in Cork

Does seem slightly biased towards Dublin. Understandable reasons for some of that of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I really hate asking this...but can you provide more details and stats on this please. I am interested in seeing the figures.

Actually never mind: https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/human-resources-and-people-development/garda-hr-directorate/garda-numbers-by-division-and-station-breakdown.html

4134 Gardai in Dublin
    730 in Cork

Does seem slightly biased towards Dublin. Understandable reasons for some of that of course.

Is that for the entire country or is that for the city alone? If for the entire county then that's a disgrace. (The site won't load correctly on mobile)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Is he out or is he not?

Is that for the entire country or is that for the city alone? If for the entire county then that's a disgrace. (The site won't load correctly on mobile)
    730 Gardai in Cork City. That's split into 600 Gardai and 100 Sergeants. The two most central (and smallest by area) regions in Dublin have 1500 Gardai. The entire Cork County has 1400.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Community policing needs to be built up again. This needs funding. Our city is left to rot.

An aside, but the park on grand parade does not feel safe.
    There should be permanent security there. A warden who could radio the gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The biggest problem isn’t the Gardai, their number or how resourced they are. It might be a factor but it’s not the biggest one.

If you want to see living proof of what the actual problem is then spend the next week or two reading the court reports for criminal cases in Cork. See how many people with convictions up to triple figures don’t get a custodial sentence for their latest contribution to the community.

The judicial system in this country is the problem.
    Sentences are Overly lenient.
    Repeat offending is not considered.
    Courts are full of repeat offenders who don’t give a **** because the sanctions don’t match the crime.
    The judges are delighted because they want full court rooms not full prisons.
    Solicitors love the volume of work it generates, free legal aid coming out their ears for lads with 100plus convictions.
    Gardaí doing the donkey work only to see scumbags get suspended sentences or concurrent sentences.
    Early release for everyone because of capacity.

I can assure you if you follow the criminal cases for a few weeks you will be pulling your hair out at the nonsense that goes on.

Judges in this country are completely failing society at large and nothing can be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

730 Gardai in Cork City. That's split into 600 Gardai and 100 Sergeants. The two most central (and smallest by area) regions in Dublin have 1500 Gardai. The entire Cork County has 1400.

Looking at a further breakdown. There are 109 guards for Togher, which covers all of Togher, Bishopstown, Carrigaline, Crosshaven, Douglas, Passage West. That's a large area with some sizable population for that little guards.

Ah yes..I only included city by mistake. My bad.
    1400 is much more reasonable compared to Dublin based on respective populations and policing needs.

titan18 wrote: »
    Looking at a further breakdown. There are 109 guards for Togher, which covers all of Togher, Bishopstown, Carrigaline, Crosshaven, Douglas, Passage West. That's a large area with some sizable population for that little guards.
    And I'd say 4 of those (Douglas, Passage, Crosshaven, Carrigaline) are closed. I live in Rochestown and the local Garda always told us if we ever needed anything the only place to call is Togher. I know a fella working in Bishopstown and he's never ever there.

And I'd say 4 of those (Douglas, Passage, Crosshaven, Carrigaline) are closed. I live in Rochestown and the local Garda always told us if we ever needed anything the only place to call is Togher. I know a fella working in Bishopstown and he's never ever there.

A lot is made of closed garda stations, but to be honest I never bother about that. Anglesea Street or Togher isn't far from the anywhere on the south side. And Anglesea Street or Gurranabraher for the north side. Cork is a small place really.
    A garda station wont really stop crime...gardai will. I would prefer to see more of them around rather than spend money on buildings. Probably a simplistic attitude of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

A lot is made of closed garda stations, but to be honest I never bother about that. Anglesea Street or Togher isn't far from the anywhere on the south side. And Anglesea Street or Gurranabraher for the north side. Cork is a small place really.
    A garda station wont really stop crime...gardai will. I would prefer to see more of them around rather than spend money on buildings. Probably a simplistic attitude of course.

I dunno, response times are obviously going to be worse with no local station and likely results in less patrols etc in areas where the station isnt.

Tbh, looking at numbers in a breakdown and overall numbers, you could probably double the number of gardai at least to provide an effective presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Some serious racist bot/sock puppet action on twitter regarding the incident last night. There's a lot wrong in Ireland, but I'm glad these clowns have no real influence here, unlike the UK and US.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,738 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

DellyBelly wrote: »
    515546.jpg

515545.jpg

My God those tweets are frightening. What's happening to the country.

That's from a far right troll account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Using 2016 census figures for respective populations of the two counties, Cork has one Garda for every 388 people and Dublin has one Garda for every 327 people. Putting it another way, Cork’s “Garda density” is 84% that of Dublin. Like most people posting on this thread, I know nothing about policing so I’ve no idea if that is a significant difference.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    I dunno, response times are obviously going to be worse with no local station and likely results in less patrols etc in areas where the station isnt.

Not necessarily. Response times would be better if more Gardai were available to respond and out on patrol. The areas they patrolalso should not depend on abuilding in Douglas, Passage or Togher.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement