Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP: POE Cable Outdoors

Options
  • 24-05-2020 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone recommend a decent POE cable for CCTV system running 4K?

Cable will be running a length of 30m outside under facia. Please provide any links to item.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Mackzee wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone recommend a decent POE cable for CCTV system running 4K?

Cable will be running a length of 30m outside under facia. Please provide any links to item.

Get some outdoor cat5e, a crimper, some rj45s and watch a YouTube video

https://www.freetv.ie/outdoor-cat5-ethernet-cable/
    https://www.freetv.ie/rj11-and-rj45-crimping-tool/
    https://www.freetv.ie/rj45-ethernet-cable-connector-1s/

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭glog

If it were me I'd just buy one on Amazon.
    I have gone down this road and its fine for indoor patch cables but the extra shielding/protection on the unflexible outdoor cable makes it difficult to get a good crimp etc.
    Granted, it may have been bad technique on my behalf.

I have used these in the past outdoors.

Although they are not rated externally, the end connectors were either indoors or terminated in junction boxes so only the actual cable was exposed. They still going fine after 5 years.
    My home made crimped ones broke down much sooner.

There's no shielding on outdoor cat5e, it's the same to crimp as indoor

Don't use a non outdoor rated cable, it'll crack and water will get in and run to the end and blow whatever it's connected to

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Mackzee

There's no shielding on outdoor cat5e, it's the same to crimp as indoor

Don't use a non outdoor rated cable, it'll crack and water will get in and run to the end and blow whatever it's connected to

Exactly what I want to avoid, cameras are not cheap

Can anyone recommend a cat 6 POE specifically for out doors, don't want to risk blowing anything from water ingress etc. Amazon is riddled with choices with mixed reviews.

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a cat 6 POE specifically for out doors, don't want to risk blowing anything from water ingress etc. Amazon is riddled with choices with mixed reviews.

You don't need cat6, cat5e will do gigabit. Big of you really want outdoor cat6 you will find it on the same site

Be careful of Amazon, a lot of the cable on there is cheap CCA (copper clad aluminium) which can be ok for small internal runs but you definitely should not put power through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

External cat5e will do you fine. Are you putting it in any containment or are you running it in the soffit or are you running it bare? If you buy cheap cable you could have issues.

The cameras you are installing.....do they not have glands to prevent water ingress?

You could also do a drip loop on the cable. What kind of environment are you installing the cameras? There are so many variables which can dictate the best possible practice which to implement on an installation.

alta stare wrote: »
    External cat5e will do you fine. Are you putting it in any containment or are you running it in the soffit or are you running it bare? If you buy cheap cable you could have issues.

The cameras you are installing.....do they not have glands to prevent water ingress?

You could also do a drip loop on the cable. What kind of environment are you installing the cameras? There are so many variables which can dictate the best possible practice which to implement on an installation.

Cameras have glands. Caneras will be attached to wall and cable will run under facia then over a conservative roof. So it will be 100% exposed to water and UV over roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Cameras have glands. Caneras will be attached to wall and cable will run under facia then over a conservative roof. So it will be 100% exposed to water and UV over roof.

Run it in electroflex. Problem solved.

Advertisement