Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prunus laurocerasus Rotundifolia (Cherry Laurel)

Options
  • 24-05-2020 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I've read up and see that the minimum distance recommended between plants when putting Cherry Laurel in the ground is 60cm. Does this mean 60cm between the stems or 60 cm distance between the footprint of the plant, i.e., the widest part of the plant (tip of widest stem) should be a minimum of 60cm from the next plant's widest part?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Between stems, but I think the ideal distance depends on how high and deep you want the hedge to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

Lumen wrote: »
    Between stems, but I think the ideal distance depends on how high and deep you want the hedge to grow.

Thanks. I'm hoping to get about 2.2 metres height and for the plants to "join" together to get a sort of hedge for privacy. So not too deep, just a foot or two for each plant. Would this sound achievable?

Also, should I be looking to get rootball/ instant hedging to achieve this quickly?

Any recommended suppliers in Dublin/Wicklow?

60cm sounds OK but you could push it out a bit more than that.

I think your expectations of depth might be a bit unrealistic. I've seen nice 2ft deep hedges at about 4-5ft, but 7-8ft is going to work more naturally with a 3ft depth. I certainly wouldn't plant closer than 2ft from a wall or fence, more if you need to get behind to prune it.

My (not laurel) hedging will hopefully reach 4m so I planted it 1m from the fence. My main consideration was that I want to be able to replace the fence in 20 years without having to remove the hedge. When the fence went in I had to remove a load of mature shrubs and trees that were planted too close by the previous owner, which was a bit heartbreaking.

You can buy potted hedging and in theory plant year round, but it's really the wrong time of year to be planting, particularly given the lack of rain the last couple of months. You'll be fighting dehydration and we may get another hosepipe ban.

Oh, I got my hedging from Cappagh Nurseries on Aughrim. They're lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

Lumen wrote: »
    Oh, I got my hedging from Cappagh Nurseries on Aughrim. They're lovely.

Thanks for all the info. And I'll give Cappagh Nurseries a shout.

• Advertisement
Advertisement