Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Root canal problems/possible extractions/braces - help!!

• 24-05-2020 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Good morning all,

Just looking for some thoughts as to what my best options might be.

I had a root canal done around 4 years ago on an upper premolar. Big procedure but thankfully had not much pain since getting it done. Dentist filled it and needed to be refilled afterwards. I was eating recently and a chip approx the size of a 1/2 peanut came out. I went to my dentist and an extraction was suggested. My upper teeth are not perfect by any means, however, I think that they are not the worst ever and I'm concerned that if I remove a premolar, they will change shape entirely. Would I be mad to consider an extraction? I'm quite young. Would consider braces in the future as in Invisalign/6 months but I can't foot them financially at the moment and would also prefer an orthodontist to do them. Would a crown be a good call? Tooth has as I mentioned split so only support there on one side.

Also, I posted a few weeks ago about a lower molar which I was undergoing a root canal on. Dentist is not happy about it's progress and therefore, also is in favour of an extraction. There is apparentely a sinus infection there which has been there for some months. I have a really straight bottom row and therefore, think it would be a shame if it were bend as such. Would I be best going to an endontist? If anyone has any recommendations in the Dublin/north-east area and could PM me that would be great. What roughtly would the cost and wait time be? I'm guessing short of €1k? Dentist also wants to put braces on the bottom row if molar is extracted and tbh I'm not seeing why I need them. My bottom row aesthetically look quite well and there are no major issues there in that sense.

All thoughts/opinions welcome. I have to go back to see my dentist early in the week. Should I get a 2nd opinion or do dentists find that undermining? I'm relatively young and the thoughts of 2 extractions is quite daunting.

Thanks!

Comments

When root canal treating a tooth, both Dentist and patient have to consider the likelihood of the treatment succeeding, and whether the tooth can be restored to functionality.

If I take your lower molar first. A draining sinus usually means the infection is chronic rather than acute, in other words it has been there for a while and is well established. Infections like this are difficult to treat as there may now be a cyst under the tooth. If the infection has not responded to the first stage of the root canal, nerve removal, the chances are that it will not clear up. You could spend a lot of time and money on this, without achieving full resolution of the infection. You can of course get a second opinion, and you can elect to proceed with the root canal, but now that the dentist has advised you of the reduced chances of success, you will not be able to go back later if the tooth has to be removed, and say that you are unhappy with wasting your money.

In relation to your upper tooth, a root canal treatment only treats infection in the root, it does not make a tooth stronger, in fact it probably makes it weaker. If one of the walls of your premolar broke off, this leaves very little tooth to support a filling or crown. The likelihood of a filling breaking where only one wall remains is very high. As there is also little tooth to support and retain a crown, placing one on it could be expensive folly. Again, if you elect to have a crown despite your dentist advising you of the poor condition of your tooth, and against his/her advice, you will not be able to claim back the crown fee if the tooth breaks under the crown and it has to be removed.

Op, your dentist is telling you that it is not advisable to proceed with invasive and expensive treatments because they are unlikely to succeed. Get a second opinion if you are unconvinced by what he/she is telling you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Dav010 wrote: »
    When root canal treating a tooth, both Dentist and patient have to consider the likelihood of the treatment succeeding, and whether the tooth can be restored to functionality.

If I take your lower molar first. A draining sinus usually means the infection is chronic rather than acute, in other words it has been there for a while and is well established. Infections like this are difficult to treat as there may now be a cyst under the tooth. If the infection has not responded to the first stage of the root canal, nerve removal, the chances are that it will not clear up. You could spend a lot of time and money on this, without achieving full resolution of the infection. You can of course get a second opinion, and you can elect to proceed with the root canal, but now that the dentist has advised you of the reduced chances of success, you will not be able to go back later if the tooth has to be removed, and say that you are unhappy with wasting your money.

In relation to your upper tooth, a root canal treatment only treats infection in the root, it does not make a tooth stronger, in fact it probably makes it weaker. If one of the walls of your premolar broke off, this leaves very little tooth to support a filling or crown. The likelihood of a filling breaking where only one wall remains is very high. As there is also little tooth to support and retain a crown, placing one on it could be expensive folly. Again, if you elect to have a crown despite your dentist advising you of the poor condition of your tooth, and against his/her advice, you will not be able to claim back the crown fee if the tooth breaks under the crown and it has to be removed.

Op, your dentist is telling you that it is not advisable to proceed with invasive and expensive treatments because they are unlikely to succeed. Get a second opinion if you are unconvinced by what he/she is telling you.

That's a most helpful answer. Thanks for taking the time out to help. Much appreciated.

Advertisement