Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Share Horror Stories?

Options
  • 24-05-2020 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Last year I had to find a room near the university. I am in my early 30s and wasn't keen to share with anyone loud, a smoker or anyone messy. I am old and set in my ways. But also fairly chill otherwise. I didn't anticipate a problem.

So I found an ad on daft.ie for an apartment share in a good location. Room was lovely and 650 a month + bills. Pricey for a student but as mentioned, I wanted a relaxing place to call home for a year.

The ad seemed great so I sent an email. After some back and forth, the lady asked me if I mind cats. Absolutely not if it is just one. We arranged to meet for a viewing and I erroneously let it slip that my boyfriend will drop me off, but he won't be living with me as he is from another city. Then everything changed. She asked, "did you read the rules" and I said, what rules? "At the bottom of my ad." I checked them and there was a 15 item list of what her housemate had to be:

- female (not trans), age 28 to 34 NO EXCEPTIONS
    - must work or be out of the home at least 9 to 6 everyday
    - no overnight guests at all
    - no pets allowed
    - no smoking or drugs
    - must be very tidy and have no addictions
    - the sitting room is off limits as it is my personal space
    - no chefs or people who like pungent food

Dont be put off by the number of views in this advert as I am waiting for the perfect housemate."

Needless to say, I was floored and a bit offended. Although I was the perfect fit, incidentally, the idea that a mere mention of my boyfriend made her turn all militant about rules put me off. So I thought f this, I'm going to reply: Dear S, It seems I am nearly the perfect fit. I am very well adjusted and normal, and happen to have a steady long term relationship (perhaps function of being in my early 30s and well adjusted). So best of luck to you finding a single professional woman who was born with the correct genitals between the ages of 28 to 34 who has no vices and is very tidy. It makes me wonder if you have confused daft.ie with Tinder but best of luck to you all the same."

The reply I received: "too bad, you seemed nice".

What are your house share horror stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I despise ads like that, they just want money for an invisible tenant to exist, not actually live with somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I despise ads like that, they just want money for an invisible tenant to exist, not actually live with somebody.

To be fair, her house, her rules. The (no trans) is funny, but apart from that, nothing outrageous. The only question I would have for the op is if the owner is retired, she might be used to her own company and just wants to take in a lodger, not someone who will be in the house all the time, which is hardly unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Dav010 wrote: »
    To be fair, her house, her rules. The (no trans) is funny, but apart from that, nothing outrageous. The only question I would have for the op is if the owner is retired, she might be used to her own company and just wants to take in a lodger, not someone who will be in the house all the time, which is hardly unreasonable.

the 28 to 34 thing baffles me, like id understand say a round 25-35 or something , but that ones odd, also lower age caps are normal enough, can't see what trouble say a 36 or a 40 year old would add, could completely see why you wouldn't want say an 18 year old...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Better to have rules clear from the outset even if they are ott. Ads like this avoid nightmare sharing because you know what you are in for from the beginning.

Imagine she sprung these rules after you moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I actually agree with pretty much everything on the list except I dont have an issue with trans. If the landlord is upfront with his/her expectations chances are things will work out for both. Unfortunately not all lodgers are honest when they agree to the rules and you often end up with people sneaking in girlfriends or taking over the kitchen or working part time and so on.
    Horrors stories are when you live with a nightmare flatmate

• Advertisement
Advertisement