Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahmaud Arbery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Penn

blinding wrote: »
    Mr Arbery would be alive if he had not tried to grab a legally held fire arm.

You make it sound like McMichaels was walking down the road with his gun and Arbery chased him down in a vehicle and tried to grab his gun from him. Instead what happened was McMichaels chased him down in a vehicle and pointed a gun at him, and Arbery tried to defend himself.

He would be alive if the McMichaels hadn't done that. He was trying to defend himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

A shot gun fires cartridges with pellets !

Had Mr Arbery not made the crazy decision to try to grab a legally held fire-arm from its legal owner then he would be alive and well today !

ha ha....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yup, mob rules. Just like the not guilty rugby players. Trial by media is more important than the law of the land for some people.

Thankfully the law takes precedence over opinions of inconsequential people like us.

Two armed civilians chasing down another civilian is a much more insidious and dangerous form of mob rule. People can and do express opinions about court cases that's why they're held in public so the process is transparent.
    We have to accept the verdict doesn't mean we have to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Had Mr Arbery not made the crazy decision to try to grab a legally held fire-arm from its legal owner then he would be alive and well today !

Actually it depends on the type of cartridges used not all are pellets

Fat white gun had a loaded and no safety on he was Hunting for kill and got one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Overheal wrote: »
    Which was only pointed at him during an unlawful “citizens arrest”
    You don’t know if it was pointed at him or not. People experienced with fire-arms do not point them willy nilly at People ! !

It may well have been that as it was not pointing at Mr Arbery that he made the very foolish decision to grab a gun from its legal owner ! !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The pellets still speed.

In fact it’s more dangerous to outrun a shotgun than it is most firearms.

Shotgun-target.jpg

This doesn’t throttle the fact that the murderers had no lawful grounds for the pursuit, or the brandishing.

Gatling wrote: »
    Actually it depends on the type of cartridges used not all are pellets

Fat white gun had a loaded and no safety on he was Hunting for kill and got one
    I don’t think you’ll be making the Jury in a Free and Fair Trial !:eek::D

The pellets still speed.

In fact it’s more dangerous to outrun a shotgun than it is most firearms.

Shotgun-target.jpg

This doesn’t throttle the fact that the murderers had no lawful grounds for the pursuit, or the brandishing.
    Georgia Law, Georgia Courts, A Georgia jury will decide all of this !

I don’t think you’ll be making the Jury in a Free and Fair Trial !:eek::D

Did Ahmaud Arbery get a fair free trial before execution ?

Which was only pointed at him during an unlawful “citizens arrest”
    You have no idea if the gun was pointed at him before he tried to grab the gun !

• Advertisement

You have no idea if the gun was pointed at him before he tried to grab the gun !

How did he grab at the gun if it wasn't pointed at him exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-17/chapter-4/article-4/17-4-60

You would not be able to perform a citizens arrest of someone on a most wanted list.

If it is the case that you can only make a citizen's arrest for felony crimes in the act or immediate aftermath and not days later, then yeah, they won't be able to use that defence either.

Mr Arbery would be alive and well today had he not foolishly tried to grab a gun from its legal holder.

I wonder has Mr Arbery ( in post mortem) and the Other Participants been drug tested.

Georgia Law, Georgia Courts, A Georgia jury will decide all of this !

I’m brushed up on Georgia law. Are you?

How did he grab at the gun if it wasn't pointed at him exactly
    Are you saying that he could not have tried to grab the gun if it was not pointed directly at him ! That would be a very very very silly thing to say ! !

I’m brushed up on Georgia law. Are you?
    Was that a Sweeping Brush ? ?

I have a pretty good idea. They jumped out of the truck and approached him with the gun. The third arrested murderer is a shyte cameraman.

osarusan wrote: »
    If it is the case that you can only make a citizen's arrest for felony crimes in the act or immediate aftermath and not days later, then yeah, they won't be able to use that defence either.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

osarusan wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that's right. If somebody sees a criminal who has been on the Most Wanted List for 5 years, they don't have the grounds to try and make a citizen's arrest?

My understanding of citizen's arrests is is that for a misdemeanour, they must have witnessed or have 'immediate knowledge' of the misdemeanour. The did not witness Arbery's trespass on the day of his death, and somebody telling them about it does not appear to constitute immediate knowledge.

However, Travis McMichael had had an altercation with Arbery 12 days earlier - the motion-sensor in the same house/construction site had been triggered, and the owner Larry English called a neighbour, Ray Perez, to ask him to take a look. Along the way Perez met McMichael, and together they saw somebody that Perez gave evidence to be Arbery in the yard of the house. Maybe they can use this as 'immediate knowledge' of a misdemeanour and thus justification for their attempted citizen's arrest 12 days later.

Now, if it was a felony, the standard for citizen's arrests is lower - they need 'reasonable suspicion'. In their evidence to the police, the McMichaels said Arbery resembled somebody involved in some recent burglaries/break-ins (which would be felonies).

But the records suggest that there was just one reported burglary in the area that month - the theft of a gun from Travis McMichael's truck. I have no idea whether the police report of the stolen gun included a description of somebody who resembled Arbery (or any description of a suspect at all. There may have been burglaries reported in January or even before that though.

The McMichaels need to make an argument that they had legitimate reason to be there in the first place. Whether they can argue that they had witnessed a trespass, or that their suspicion that Arbery had committed recent burglaries was 'reasonable' will be central.

so much wrong i dont know where to start

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Mr Arbery would be alive and well today had he not foolishly tried to grab a gun from its legal holder.

I wonder has Mr Arbery ( in post mortem) and the Other Participants been drug tested.

Masterful bit of victim blaming there.

• Advertisement

Your position was so indefensible you went there huh?

Sucks for you that no toxicology report showed any drugs in Arberys system. Negative for drugs. Negative for alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Amaud arbery would also be alive if the idiots had just used they're few brain cells to follow him, instead they forced the whole situation.

I have a pretty good idea. They jumped out of the truck and approached him with the gun. The third arrested murderer is a shyte cameraman.
    The Elder McMichael was on the back of the Truck on the Phone to the Police as I understand it. His gun was still in his holster. After Mr Arbery tried to grab the gun and the gun went off it actually appeared to take the Elder Mr McMichael a long time to get his gun from his holster ! !

The Elder McMichael was on the back of the Truck on the Phone to the Police as I understand it. His gun was still in his holster. After Mr Arbery tried to grab the gun and the gun went off it actually appeared to take the Elder Mr McMichael a long time to get his gun from his holster ! !

That’s not relevant to the shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He was shot, it wasn't in a court, the justification of that has to be determined. Calling it an execution is dramatic.

Do you accept that while the justification for his killing is to be decided on, that his community, surrounding communities are now safer that he is gone.

A silver lining in all of this.

Your position was so indefensible you went there huh?

Sucks for you that no toxicology report showed any drugs in Arberys system. Negative for drugs. Negative for alcohol.
    Do you have the official findings and you will see that I also said that the McMichaels should have been tested. Actually I am sure people are routinely tested. I doubt you know the official findings.

Danzy wrote: »
    He was shot, it wasn't in a court, the justification of that has to be determined.

Do you accept that while the justification for his killing is to be decided on, that his community, surrounding communities are now safer that he is gone.

The actual fcuk?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Danzy wrote: »
    He was shot, it wasn't in a court, the justification of that has to be determined.

one less black criminal is certainly something that community should be grateful for.*

*sarcasm btw though a non-sarcastic reading would not be out of place in this thread.

That’s not relevant to the shotgun.
    Posters have jumped to conclusions that the shotgun was pointed at Mr Arbery. I have seen no definitive evidence that the shotgun was ever pointed at Mr Arbery before Mr Arbery tried to grab the gun !

• Advertisement

Do you have the official findings and you will see that I also said that the McMichaels should have been tested. Actually I am sure people are routinely tested. I doubt you know the official findings.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/ahmaud-arbery-died-multiple-gunshot-wounds-autopsy-finds/story?id=70634924

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement