Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahmaud Arbery

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

joe40 wrote: »
    They shot an unarmed man, I certainly wouldn't want them as neighbours.

I'm curious, how would you feel about having Arbery as a neighbor?

The issue is jumping in your cars and chasing a guy up and down a road for a few minutes and then killing him.

Please link to evidence of them chasing him "up and down" the road. The video in the OP shows the McMichaels stationary and Arbery running towards them.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Big Daddy did not have an impeccable record he was repeatedly too lazy to do the basic training and had numerous suspensions because of this.

Could you link to evidence that he had suspensions please.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    He was unarmed and not a threat.

He tried to take a loaded shotgun off Travis. He was a threat.

He was unarmed and had nothing on him.

He would definitely have been armed if he had got the gun off Travis. How do you know he had nothing on him? Link please.

• Advertisement

With a known aggressive racist for a son and a daughter who posts up dead bodies on snapchat. Guessing you're not black. What a statement from privilege.

Link please.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Please link to evidence of them chasing him "up and down" the road. The video in the OP shows the McMichaels stationary and Arbery running towards them.

The NYT article and reconstruction posted earlier in the thread. You know this

How long would you consider reasonable to chase someone with guns before you can stop claiming they attacked you?

They didn't chase him, they waited at the end of the road. Its in the video.

joe40 wrote: »
    You were talking about the presumption of innocence earlier. Pity that they didn't extend the same courtesy before confronting an unarmed man with guns.
    They're thugs, pure and simple.

He was seen running from the house, he wasn't acting innocent. He ws at the very least trespassing.

The fact that McGregory's classmates say he was the most obsessively racist they ever knew.

Link please. Also, his name is McMichaels, are you paying attention?

• Advertisement

Relevant because he would have no one to charge at if he wasn't being hunted down by armed thugs.

How was he being hunted? Link please. The video shows them waiting for Arbery and Arbery charging at them.

He didnt charge at them. They were in front of him, in a car, armed. There was another car behind chasing him . He went around their car and the son moved around the front too.

Maybe he should have just let them shoot him in the back so that people could stop blaming him for getting shot.

But then, the video of that wouldnt have made it out so theyd probably just claim he was carrying an AK47......

Your describing a completely different scenario. Why though??? People can simply look at the video and see you are misrepresenting the events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

I'm curious how you would feel being chased by gun totting vigilanties?

Interesting you used the word "lynching" when that's essentially what happened to Ahmaud. Poor taste in words, no?

How is it a lynching? He was messing about in peoples property. Its in the video.
    Lynching is a premeditated extrajudicial killing by a group. It is most often used to characterize informal public executions by a mob in order to punish an alleged transgressor, punish a convicted transgressor, or intimidate a group. It also has an ugly history towards black people in the US.

Jesus, that's enough dictionary work for me today.

Please link to evidence that this was premeditated. All the evidence I have provided suggests otherwise.

armed men approach him and he is responsible somehow for them shooting him?

he approached them. Its in the video.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So basically in making this claim that he was 12 miles from his house you looked up Brunwick on Google Earth, measured the distance to Satilla Shores and then (in your own words) assumed that he had to of been 12 miles from his house.

And then when presented with a Pulitizer Prize winning Irish journalist working for the NYT stating that he was 2 miles from his house the NYT is suddenly "biased and lying"

The only person who is "biased and lying" here is you. I'll happily take the word of the journalist Malachy Browne who has verified his sources and story over you firing up Google Earth, measuring a distance, making assumptions and then coming onto Boards and writing is as fact.

This is what you claimed-

Yet you have no source for where he lived except your amateur detective work on Google Earth followed by assumptions.

Amazing how Kid Chameleon comes on here inventing fake news and then when called out on it his immediate reaction is to call the New York Times fake news. Very Trumpian indeed.

Can journalists ever get things wrong?

I'll happily retract my 12 mile claim if you can tell me where he lived. Does your journalist say where he lived exactly? He is from Brunswick, that is not in dispute is it? Do you think his high school is a bad indicator of the general area where he lived? I have heard the 12 mile distance mentioned in multiple sources. I have done work to verify that myself as you have seen. I believe the 12 mile distance is unsuitable to the "jogging" narrative and that your journalist and the media in general is trying to spin it. Again, I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Can you give us readers more specific details on where he lived? I believe he lived with his mother (although I cannot be sure). Can you find any articles that mention where his mother lives? That might help.

NackJapier wrote: »
    Your all actually crazy lads.

He was literally on property he shouldn't have being on, wasn't his!

Fair enough didn't deserve to die but wanna know what's important?

IF HE NEVER TRESPASSED ON THAT PROPERTY HE'D STILL BE ALIVE TODAY!

Like let's really make it simple - had he NOT went on property that WAS NOT HIS. He would STILL BE ALIVE.

If the guys didnt come out of their house, get in their cars and chase after him when they hadnt even seen him do anything , hed still be alive today.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Instead they blocked his path

Check out the area on Google maps (I have previously linked it) They DID NOT BLOCK HIS PATH. There are 360 degrees of paths he could have taken. He could have stood still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

How was he being hunted? Link please. The video shows them waiting for Arbery and Arbery charging at them.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007142853/ahmaud-arbery-video-911-georgia.html

Apparently another vehicle joined the chase. The person seen filming and driving behind Arbery as he was runrning towards the other vehicle. Hence cornered.

It easily could be argued that Arbery was right to stay on the road because of trespasser laws he was safer on the road then on private property(you would have thought)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,490 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'll answer this before I go.

I was initially responding to a question asking why your man had moved to the side of the truck. I had responded with the (what I thought was obvious) suggestion that maybe he wanted to stop the other fella from running away. I did not think much of the remark at the time.

A few posts later I pointed out that the fella in the white t-shirt is shown running towards shotgun fella in the video.

Other poster says that that was somehow a contradiction. I still don't really understand why he thinks that.
    I dunno I think it’s getting nitty gritty to split hairs about who went left or who went right, etc. which is reasonably uncertain. I’d more focus on the idea of stopping someone from fleeing. You can’t stop someone from fleeing wherever they want unless you are making an arrest. Eg., you for sure can’t be shooting someone in the back because you two got into a bloody or physical altercation. That’s not an arrest.

And if you’re trying to physically, lawfully arrest someone, you can’t do that neatly with a shotgun in both hands. The only thing that stops someone, then, from fleeing from you, with your shotgun, is to impose the threat of violent consequence if they do not want to submit to your control over them.

So, IMO, there is going to have to be a solidly and narrowly defined argument that lays out any allegation that Ahmaud had no reason to believe his life wasn’t in imminent danger. That’s materially exclusive from his motives: if he had robbed from the house, and been approached in this way, he still believed his life was in peril. If he was completely innocent, he still believed his life was in peril. Someone has approached him with a shotgun, intent to physically interfere with him. They’ve made it clear either way that they are not willing to allow him to flee to any sort of safe or neutral boundary. 3 white men in Brunswick Georgia were using physical force and threat of violent consequences to coerce a black man to surrender to them in the middle of a predominantly white conservative neighborhood. So, you may still think you would simply stop and say “hi friends how can I help you?” But you don’t live in that America.

• Advertisement

Check out the area on Google maps (I have previously linked it) They DID NOT BLOCK HIS PATH. There are 360 degrees of paths he could have taken. He could have stood still.

So if youre walking down a path and i step in to the middle of it and stand where youre going. Im not blocking your path?

I somehow reckon you might see it differently at the time.

Either way, he ran around them and Travis McMichael moved around his car from the other side to head him off. McMichaels hadnt done that Arbery would have continued on down the road the way he was going , without any more confrontation.

Why do you think there was a car chasing him from behind and one stopping in the middle of the road in front of him?

If we're playing silly buggers like you want, what about his freedom to travel the way he wants. They had no reason to interfere with that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The people most concerned live in nicer neighbourhoods than Arbery certainly did or the McMicheals did.

Often a class division here, people who live in neighbourhoods with less crime, even petty crime, have a certain view.

banie01 wrote: »
    Who stores $2,500 worth of fishing gear on an unsecured construction site, has it stolen and doesn't report the theft?
    Despite being engaged with Law Enforcement to an extent where they were given the local Good 'ol boys contact details?

Thanks to Overheal for clearing up the Law Enforcement Officer caveat of probable cause. Saved me a paragraph.

@KC, if you think that the definition of actions around immediate knowledge and probable cause are just semantics, never embark on a law career.

The owner of the house WAS in contact with the police regarding break ins. He has since redacted his story. I believe this is because he is receiving death threats (previously linked)

In this article we see details of communications between the home owner, Larry English and Glynn County Police:

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/glynn-county/texts-reveal-police-enlisted-help-suspect-arberys-death-months-before-shooting/4QWQW6T7QZGDVEKUJMNUTB4KGM/

“When I saw (the texts), I immediately understood that an organization had been developing in that neighborhood since at least December,” Graddy wrote. “It appears that Gregory McMichael had been informally “deputized” by the Glynn County Police Department.”

“Greg is retired law enforcement and also a retired investigator from the DA’s office,” was the message Officer Robert Rash texted to English on Dec. 20, 2019. Rush also included McMichael’s phone number and conveyed the message that McMichael "said please call him day or night when you get action on your camera.”

NackJapier wrote: »
    Your all actually crazy lads.

He was literally on property he shouldn't have being on, wasn't his!

Fair enough didn't deserve to die but wanna know what's important?

IF HE NEVER TRESPASSED ON THAT PROPERTY HE'D STILL BE ALIVE TODAY!

Like let's really make it simple - had he NOT went on property that WAS NOT HIS. He would STILL BE ALIVE.

Not that simple at all.

I have irrefutable evidence children trespassed on the property surely you wouldn’t be saying “well lads if they didn’t play on the property they’d still be alive” like some self-righteous forum pigeon if this involved they?

Danzy wrote: »
    Mind boggling to think that the poster can describe carrying a gun to school in such terms.

If it didn't conflict with his personal objectives he would rightly point out that it was very serious.

Lazy gaslighting, not a counter argument.

Also gaslighting

It’s been linked to. Here it is again.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007142853/ahmaud-arbery-video-911-georgia.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Overheal wrote: »
    Lazy gaslighting, not a counter argument.

I think carrying a gun to a school game is serious, you do not.

What's to argue about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Danzy wrote: »
    I think carrying a gun to a school game is serious, you do not.

What's to argue about?

That it's not relevant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement