Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahmaud Arbery

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 NackJapier

If I'm walking down a road innocently af knowing I haven't done anything wrong and there's somebody standin mid road pointing a shotgun at me. I am NOT tryna fight nobody am asking WTF?

Dude was clearly guilty of something.

His killers should go to jail but let's not act like they just callously murdered somebody for no reason. Dude was a thief and a criminal and he played a stupid game and won the stupidest of prizes as someone mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,490 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He would definitely have been armed if he had got the gun off Travis. How do you know he had nothing on him? Link please.

He didn’t get the gun off Travis. We don’t know that he wasn’t trying to throw the gun to the ground.

He wasn’t armed. Police reports confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

NackJapier wrote: »
    If I'm walking down a road innocently af knowing I haven't done anything wrong and there's somebody standin mid road pointing a shotgun at me. I am NOT tryna fight nobody am asking WTF?

His killers should go to jail but let's not act like they just callously murdered somebody for no reason. Dude was a thief and a criminal and he played a stupid game and won the stupidest of prizes as someone mentioned.

Ah the good old "but". The false positive, yeah the "killers" BUT it's all his fault anyway.

They didn't chase him, they waited at the end of the road. Its in the video.

They did chase him.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007142853/ahmaud-arbery-video-911-georgia.html

He was seen running from the house, he wasn't acting innocent. He ws at the very least trespassing.

Trespassing isn’t a crime.

Criminal trespassing is a misdemeanor.

He wasn’t criminally trespassing however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats not what happened though. Theyd been chasing him for 4 minutes at that stage

Are people really going to just drop in and pretend the rest of the thread isnt there?

How was he being hunted? Link please. The video shows them waiting for Arbery and Arbery charging at them.

*sigh*

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000007142853/ahmaud-arbery-video-911-georgia.html

How is it a lynching? He was messing about in peoples property. Its in the video.

The fact that you automatically apply guilt to Arbery shows precisely why it’s been described as a lynching.

Please link to evidence that this was premeditated. All the evidence I have provided suggests otherwise.

Never said they were making a citizens arrest to 911. Never said it to Arbery either.

They called 911 for an alibi.

They knew Arbery because they had been involved in prosecuting previous criminal history of Arbery’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Overheal wrote: »
    Did you even read past the headline?

I read the entire article twice. It contains no evidence that Arbery's shooting was racially motivated. I assume the part of the article you think shows racial motive is where the guys tell the 911 operators about a "black male running down the street."

Here's the entire paragraph:
    " The dispatcher then asks for a confirmation of the man’s description, to which the caller replies “White T-shirt. Black guy, white T-shirt. He’s done run into the neighborhood again.” "
    " “I’m out here at Satilla Shores,” the second caller begins and proceeds to state that, “There’s a black male running down the street.” "

They were giving a physical description of Arbery because when you call 911 to report a crime, the operator usually asks for a physical description of the suspect. A physical description will usually include ethnicity. They weren't saying that Arbery was a "black man" as a justification for their suspecting him of a crime. It never ceases to amaze how human beings will do whatever it takes to confirm their own biases.

Danzy wrote: »
    I think carrying a gun to a school game is serious, you do not.

What's to argue about?

I think it’s serious. That’s not quite what you were getting at though. You said it was a serious gun crime. On the spectrum of gun crimes, I would rate it among the least severe, at the expense of homicide, armed robbery, rapes, felonies, or even in the act of other misdemeanors.

Mass shootings happen in the US on a weekly basis now, excluding Covid. It’s a hot button topic for Americans whether you should be allowed to carry in a school or not. You’ve prejudged that he was up to no good with it, without any reason to refute the equal possibility he was in possession to be a good guy with a gun.

So, justifiably ^, I rate this possession in a school by itself to be among the least serious of Gun crimes. If you can find and share details from reliable sources that confirm Arbery was in possession with criminal intent, that would be swell.

• Advertisement

Georgia is a swing state, political capital to be made.

Georgia isn't a swing state. It's a reliably conservative. They've voted Republican in 9 out of the last 12 presidential elections. In the 3 elections they voted Democrat in the last 50 years, 2 were for Jimmy Carter (who was from Georgia) and 1 was for Clinton (a very moderate Democrat).

Trump won't need to campaign in Georgia this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

Ah the good old "but". The false positive, yeah the "killers" BUT it's all his fault anyway.

No-ones saying what they did was right. They were wrong.

Equally, he was certainly not a "jogger" out enjoying the evening air as the media are widely reporting.

What they did being wrong, doesn't make him a completely innocent victim either - even if he certainly didn't deserve being shot.

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    Georgia isn't a swing state. It's a reliably conservative. They've voted Republican in 9 out of the last 12 presidential elections. In the 3 elections they voted Democrat in the last 50 years, 2 were for Jimmy Carter (who was from Georgia) and 1 was for Clinton (a very moderate Democrat).

Trump won't need to campaign in Georgia this year.

I’d suggest otherwise.

Georgia has a heap of problems when it comes to integrity of federal elections. Subsequently and in conjunction with other issues, GA’s red Governor is the least approved of among all the governors. All of the governors currently poll higher than the president, except for the one glaring mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Can journalists ever get things wrong?

I'll happily retract my 12 mile claim if you can tell me where he lived. Does your journalist say where he lived exactly? He is from Brunswick, that is not in dispute is it? Do you think his high school is a bad indicator of the general area where he lived? I have heard the 12 mile distance mentioned in multiple sources. I have done work to verify that myself as you have seen. I believe the 12 mile distance is unsuitable to the "jogging" narrative and that your journalist and the media in general is trying to spin it. Again, I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Can you give us readers more specific details on where he lived? I believe he lived with his mother (although I cannot be sure). Can you find any articles that mention where his mother lives? That might help.

Wait. You don’t know where he lives by your own admission? How could you therefore make any claim about how far he was from his home? You’re asking others to provide information to disprove the arbitrary figure you’ve provided. That’s not how it works. The onus is on you to prove that you are right, given that you made the claim.

joe40 wrote: »
    Fully agree with most of your post, but I can't disregard the racism aspect so lightly.
    If this had been two black men shooting a white man do you really think the prosecutor would have been as lenient.
    We'll never know but I would find it very hard to believe.
    Racism doesn't have to be overt to be a problem. Ingrained sub conscious bias can be just as damaging.
    Exactly! We can never know! The counterfactual doesn't exist! Maybe you're right but without evidence of intent we can't conclude anything.

The problem I have with allegations of ingrained sub conscious racism is that it just isn't helpful. Mainly because subconscious bias is notoriously difficult to quantify/measure. Nor is it clear that anything can actually be done to change it if it does exist. And frankly subconscious bias shouldn't be considered a conclusive factor when it comes to predicting behaviour. It's possible to be subconsciously biased against someone in one's mind and still treat them respectfully in the real world. The law isn't supposed to care what people think until they commit a crime in the real world.

Side note: The people from Harvard who pioneered subconscious bias have said openly that the research is highly sketchy and wholly unreliable. They've said it's psychological malpractice that they tests they developed are being used to by major companies like Starbucks to supposedly "train the bias out" of their employees.

blinding wrote: »
    Mr Arbery would be alive and well today had he not foolishly tried to grab a gun from its legal holder.

The issue isn't whether or not the gun was being held legally. The issue is whether or not the men had the right to preform a citizen's arrest and since they did not witness Arbery commit the crime they wished to capture and question him for, they didn't.

An illegal citizen's arrest (also known as kidnapping) at gunpoint gives Arbery the right to defend himself (regardless of whether or not that was the smartest thing to do at the time.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Saw this photo on Twitter. @ KKK rally 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Stateofyou wrote: »

Took 5 seconds to debunk, the man in the photo has tattoos on his left arm, Gregory McMichaels does not.

If he was that adamant a KKK man, the news would already have broken.

Telling that the photo used could be any grey haired man with a goatee.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Stateofyou wrote: »

So he was on a ****** hunt .

But ,but ,but ,the black got probation when he was 19 .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Took 5 seconds to debunk, the man in the photo has tattoos on his left arm, Gregory McMichaels does not.

Also highly unlikely he would actually use that much effort to stand up.

He seemed to dislike basic activities.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

I have googled it and did not find any evidence it has been debunked. Could you point it out please.

If he was that adamant a KKK man, the news would already have broken.

Telling that the photo used could be any grey haired man with a goatee.

But grainy midnight CCTV photo can be positively connected to Arbery?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Gatling wrote: »
    So he was on a ****** hunt .

But ,but ,but ,the black got probation when he was 19 .

Keep trying to rev it up.

We are all most impressed with your hunger for justice.

IF HE NEVER TRESPASSED ON THAT PROPERTY HE'D STILL BE ALIVE TODAY!

Like let's really make it simple - had he NOT went on property that WAS NOT HIS. He would STILL BE ALIVE.

I agree with you.

Also I think this was a bad shooting and these guys should go to jail for manslaughter at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

If somebody's pointing a gun at me, I'd assume there's a good chance they mean me harm. Its very trusting of you to think they won't shoot you and you should just do what they want.

It's kind of disquieting how there are people on this thread who although acknowledge this was a bad shooting are determined that there be some sort of silver lining out of this.

Why do you feel the need to relish in the fact that some people in the community might benefit from Arbery's unjustifiable killing? I'm not saying they won't benefit although they certainly won't if vigilantism becomes the norm in that neighbourhood.

Everybody here pretty much agrees that Arbery although not being squeaky clean, should not have been killed outright the way he was. It's kind of sick to emphasise the possible benefits of a shooting like this which should never of happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Well, Gun Safety 101 says that you do not point a gun at something you don’t want to hit. So either they wanted to hit him or they were not qualified to have a firearm. Neither scenario is encouraging so if I personally happened upon that situation - a gun pointing at me - I wouldn’t feel particularly calm and what I have or haven’t done in my life wouldn’t be the reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wait. You don’t know where he lives by your own admission? .

Since when does that matter. Just say things with the confidence of truth and keep saying it till people countering you give up and stop bothering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Keep trying to rev it up.

No one is impressed with your victim blaming ,

It's pretty obvious he was executed for being black in a white neighborhood ,but hey as long as you keep reminding people he was given probation 6 years ago for an offence ,
    His execution was some how justified

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement