Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahmaud Arbery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,490 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Gatling wrote: »
    No one is impressed with your victim blaming ,

It's pretty obvious he was executed for being black in a white neighborhood ,but hey as long as you keep reminding people he was given probation 6 years ago for an offence ,
    His execution was some how justified

Some folks would make it seem like the whole neighborhood was plastered with bounty posters for the capture of Ahmaud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

Overheal wrote: »

If there’s a racial motive in this killing, this investigation will find it. The feds will also be investigating the police department and the DA’s office.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

Stateofyou wrote: »
    I don't think that word (racist) means what you think it means. Look into what racism is. Assumptions and stereotypes about white people is called prejudice, not racism. Racism is about the systemic relationship of power.

So a white man in Botswana, a majority black country, gets called white racial slurs and assaulted because of his skin tone - racism.
    He steps a couple feet to the south and the same scenario occurs in South Africa - not racism.

A laughable attempt at changing what the word racism means.

From everything we've seen this far it seems this man was murdered in broad daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

I’d suggest otherwise.
    If the question is whether or not Georgia is a swing state (a state important in determining presidential elections where both parties have similar support) then I'd say Georgia's electoral history speaks for itself:
    https://www.270towin.com/states/Georgia
    Georgia has a heap of problems when it comes to integrity of federal elections.
    If by that you're referring to the whole Stacey Abrams controversy, where Stacey Abrams who lost the governor's race and then spent the next two years whining about voter suppression in a race she lost by 55,000 votes where turnout was 70%.
    GA’s red Governor is the least approved of among all the governors. All of the governors currently poll higher than the president, except for the one glaring mention.
    Mostly due to the fact that the media portrayed him as screwing up hugely by reopening Georgia when there's no evidence whatsoever that this led to spike that couldn't been managed.

Georgia is not going to vote for Joe Biden in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sean.3516 wrote: »

Mostly due to the fact that the media portrayed him as screwing up hugely by reopening Georgia when there's no evidence whatsoever that this led to spike that couldn't been managed.

This is all going wildly OT and feeding the folks that try to bury the bull**** they put on the thread , but these "spikes" are not just numbers on graphs, they are dead people. Its easy to be flippant about numbers rising and falling but those numbers are someone relative that died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

What are you implying?

He didn’t steal anything. Police didn’t find anything dropped by the suspect afaik, and the McMichaels didn’t report seeing Arbery holding anything. He was wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

I have no idea what immigration issues have to do with this case. Hundreds of miles from the border, too.

He was arrested before wasn't he? Media did not lied years ago in Baltimore when they omitted that one man killed by police had maybe 10 convictions or more? They show only one side of the story. I not see these people as opressed but as privileged to be born in the biggest economy of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Gatling wrote: »
    It's pretty obvious he was executed for being black in a white neighborhood

It's always 'pretty obvious' that xxxxx person was killed for being 'insert minority here'.

Thank god we have a burden of proof in this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Some folks would make it seem like the whole neighborhood was plastered with bounty posters for the capture of Ahmaud.

That's it ,

This is all going wildly OT and feeding the folks that try to bury the bull**** they put on the thread , but these "spikes" are not just numbers on graphs, they are dead people. Its easy to be flippant about numbers rising and falling but those numbers are someone relative that died.

This is so tiresome. Nobody is saying that every individual killed doesn't have inherent moral worth.

When considering what public policy is appropriate, you have to look the graphs of deaths and determine what level of infection will or will not overwhelm your system. In the absence of a vaccine, the second spike is will exist no matter how long you wait to reopen. Viruses don't just disappear when you hunker down long enough.

"Even if we only save one life" is the first refuge of someone who doesn't know what they're talking about and the last refuge of a political scoundrel with no credibility.

This is so tiresome. Nobody is saying that every individual killed doesn't have inherent moral worth.

When considering what public policy is appropriate, you have to look the graphs of deaths and determine what level of infection will or will not overwhelm your system. In the absence of a vaccine, the second spike is will exist no matter how long you wait to reopen. Viruses don't just disappear when you hunker down long enough.

"Even if we only save one life" is the first refuge of someone who doesn't know what they're talking about and the last refuge of a political scoundrel with no credibility.

Its very easy to throw in a line line "its a spike we can mange"

Look let's leave the talk of the election or virus for the proper threads, as has been said. This is playing in to the hands of certain people that want to throw out things like "he was 12 miles from home" without any proof but knowing that itll at least stick in a few peoples mind and thats the narrative theyll remember. Much like Trump tweeting lies, a lot of people wont believe it, more will question it, but his base believe it and it adds to his narrative.

Incidentally, has Trump had a say on this? I havnt seen it if he has.

• Advertisement

Look let's leave the talk of the election or virus for the proper threads, as has been said. This is playing in to the hands of certain people that want to throw out things like "he was 12 miles from home" without any proof but knowing that itll at least stick in a few peoples mind and thats the narrative theyll remember. Much like Trump tweeting lies, a lot of people wont believe it, more will question it, but his base believe it and it adds to his narrative.

He has.

https://youtu.be/GUgLhidhdKg

I don’t anticipate him making any attempt to gaslight or derail the case against Arbery’s killers if going by these comments.

Senator Tim Scott is the jr. Senator of SC, whom he is referring to. You pick up on right away that is “Trumps Black friend.” SC is upset about the incident however and Scott is the face of southern black conservatism in the GOP.

As I mused earlier, I don’t envision any scenario where Trump could defend or protect the Arbery killers that doesn’t lose Republicans the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Election and virus talk is "playing into the hands of" but then you pigeon hole in Trump. How marvellous. As if there aren't enough places to talk about him.

2u2me wrote: »
    Election and virus talk is "playing into the hands of" but then you pigeon hole in Trump. How marvellous. As if there aren't enough places to talk about him.

Its exactly what he does. "allowing Michigan voters to vote by mail is illegal" . He knows its not true, but some people will believe him. There are hundreds of tweets all doing the same thing.

Its exactly what he does. "allowing Michigan voters to vote by mail is illegal" . He knows its not true, but some people will believe him. There are hundreds of tweets all doing the same thing.

Funny that Texas also is going to MIV, same as Michigan, but Trump only picked one of these states to feign outrage about

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can journalists ever get things wrong?

I'll happily retract my 12 mile claim if you can tell me where he lived. Does your journalist say where he lived exactly? He is from Brunswick, that is not in dispute is it? Do you think his high school is a bad indicator of the general area where he lived? I have heard the 12 mile distance mentioned in multiple sources. I have done work to verify that myself as you have seen. I believe the 12 mile distance is unsuitable to the "jogging" narrative and that your journalist and the media in general is trying to spin it. Again, I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Can you give us readers more specific details on where he lived? I believe he lived with his mother (although I cannot be sure). Can you find any articles that mention where his mother lives? That might help.

So you claimed twice on the thread that he lived 12 miles away but now you're saying you dont know where he lived at all, that fell apart pretty quickly :rolleyes:

And Im not claiming a journalist cant get things wrong, but I am claiming that a Pulitizer Prize winning one working for the NYT goes out of their way to verify sources and to get the story correct, if they dont their career is on the line. Thats the profile of a credible source.

What are all your multiple sources behind the 12 miles claim, Im interested in seeing them now, post them all up there.

He has.

https://youtu.be/GUgLhidhdKg

I don’t anticipate him making any attempt to gaslight or derail the case against Arbery’s killers if going by these comments.

Senator Tim Scott is the jr. Senator of SC, whom he is referring to. You pick up on right away that is “Trumps Black friend.” SC is upset about the incident however and Scott is the face of southern black conservatism in the GOP.

As I mused earlier, I don’t envision any scenario where Trump could defend or protect the Arbery killers that doesn’t lose Republicans the south.

This is correct.

Everybody is in agreement that this was a bad shooting. Including most Republicans and Trump. The main point of controversy is whether or not there was an overt racist motive to this shooting. Based on the evidence, we have no reason to believe that there was. It was a few overzealous vigilantes who believed that they were defending their community against a known menace that unfortunately ended in what at the very least was manslaughter.

(edit) I'm not justifying the motives of these guys. I think they were wrong to round up a posse on this guy even though they did not see him commit a crime.

Everybody is in agreement that this was a bad shooting.

Im not so sure the ones on this thread that keep bringing up things like "if he didnt trespass on the site he'd still be alive" and pushing the previous convictions etc are
    It's like the anti vaxxers that come in soft with "im no anti vaxxer but I think we should all question things" and build from there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Irrespective of where he lived.......why is 12 miles not suitable to the jogging "narrative"?

It's very possible to go out running for 20 miles+, many people do it. Simply the fact that he was out running 12 miles from his home (if he even was) means nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Very minor event on other side of planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

911 call from Gregory McMichael from days before the indecent where he describes a black man who looks like he is armed entering the property in question... This phone call I believe shows why the were carrying their guns for the citizens arrest.

Christ, man, can you not spell "incident"?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Irrespective of where he lived.......why is 12 miles not suitable to the jogging "narrative"?

It's very possible to go out running for 20 miles+, many people do it. Simply the fact that he was out running 12 miles from his home (if he even was) means nothing.

he was out jogging a marathon (12 miles out 12 back ) in south Georgia ?, many
    convicted criminals training for the Olympics and creeping in property he had no reason or right to be in

some people still think Michael Brown was an innocent young child executed for no reason

race politics in America is horrible , black or white there is a narrative to make you look bad

mynamejeff wrote: »
    convicted criminals training for the Olympics and creeping in property he had no reason or right to be in

some people still think Michael Brown was an innocent young child executed for no reason

race politics in America is horrible , black or white there is a narrative to make you look bad

No.

This is why it’s important that people state things as fact that they can support being true.

NYT confirmed he lived 2 miles away. 12 was random google maps sleuthing by the OP and iirc was based on information like where Arbery used to go to high school. The problem with that is Arbery is 25 and hasn’t gone to high school in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

No.

This is why it’s important that people state things as fact that they can support being true.

NYT confirmed he lived 2 miles away. 12 was random google maps sleuthing by the OP and iirc was based on information like where Arbery used to go to high school. The problem with that is Arbery is 25 and hasn’t gone to high school in a long time.

And lots of people live a good few miles from their school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

He was two miles from his home.

Drop the lie that it was 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Homelander wrote: »
    No-ones saying what they did was right. They were wrong.

Equally, he was certainly not a "jogger" out enjoying the evening air as the media are widely reporting.

What they did being wrong, doesn't make him a completely innocent victim either - even if he certainly didn't deserve being shot.

I'm pretty sure anyone that is taking up his past is in some way trying to justify his death as it's just another waster dead nothing to see here.

And, in your own words he wasn't "completely innocent victim", To justify his death in some way that he trespassed so he kinda deserved it type of nonsense is what is going on in this thread, so yeah people are saying they were right.

The actions of the McMichaels and the other guy set the ball rolling to the point that 3 shots were fired and hit Ahmaud Arbery and killing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The actions of the McMichaels and the other guy set the ball rolling to the point that 3 shots were fired and hit Ahmaud Arbery and killing him.

One grazed him and two shotgun rounds to the centre mass .

One shotgun round would be catastrophic to the centre of the body let alone 2 , depending on the rounds used not all shells are buck shot some are solid slugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Loads of vids released in last week or so showing he is no harmless young man... he made a mistake when he started fumbling around with those men though... most Americans are armed to the teeth which has created a lot of fear there... in aggressive situations it’s the natural instinct for most there to take action ... kill or be killed ... they were wrong to shoot him But unfortunately that’s the way it is there

LillySV wrote: »
    Loads of vids released in last week or so showing he is no harmless young man...

irrelevant excuse to try justify a killing

LillySV wrote: »
    he made a mistake when he started fumbling around with those men though...

He didnt fumble around with anyone, they came after him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

how come all the pics of Ahmaud Arbery are of him in a tux or pics from his social media and why the McMichaels is just mug shots ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

how come all the pics of Ahmaud Arbery are of him in a tux or pics from his social media and why the McMichaels is just mug shots ?

He's the victim of a crime and they're the perpetrators.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement