Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahmaud Arbery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

GY_1980 wrote: »
    This is incorrect.

The law in Georgia is clear. You can open/conceal carry guns with a licence. You have a right to pursue and privately arrest a burglary suspect. If you’re attacked in the process, you can legally defend yourself under the State’s stand your ground law. There’s no duty to retreat or stand down.

I’m assuming the State are looking at the pursuit and will argue the pursuit wasn’t justified. The defence will argue it was.

In that case can you not just chase anyone with a gun and you can say you suspected them. I would imagine the law says if you see them committing a crime not if you suspect.

Does the person you are chasing with a gun not also have a right to defend themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

blinding wrote: »
    Maybe he was High or something ! It was a crazy decision !

Or maybe he felt it was only chance to not be killed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Or maybe he felt it was only chance to not be killed?

His odds of getting shot were small if he kept running or sat down and waited for the Police.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's similar to Travellers here, they can rob and beat pensioners to a pulp in their own home, but how dare anyone say anything about them.
    Looks the same here. Yes he was black, and clearly out robbing properties, and how dare a white man try to stop him.
    The world is too PC/

He died in a struggle, grabbing at a gun, what would have happened had he got it from him and killed him instead. He'd be going life.
    If he was an honest law abiding citizen he'd be a live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

In that case can you not just chase anyone with a gun and you can say you suspected them. I would imagine the law says if you see them committing a crime not if you suspect.

Does the person you are chasing with a gun not also have a right to defend themselves?

From a legal perspective, you must have been present during the burglary or have reasonable/immediate knowledge that the person was involved in a burglary.

That’s why I’m assuming the DA is pressing charges. They will argue this wasn’t present and therefore the pursuers were not legally entitled to pursue and attempt arrest. The defence will argue that the pursuers had the knowledge required to form the belief they did.

Of course, the prosecution will bring in a race angle to the trial while the defence will attempt to put the dead man on trial. The media will lap up the division this brings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They were not trying to mug him, they were trying to make a citizens arrest. Did you watch the video? I mean, it couldn't be more clear. Please also look at the Google Earth link I provided. The house was number 220. He could have gone anywhere. He was making a last stand IMHO.

I didn’t hear any mention of a citizens arrest in the video did you

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

AFAIK he was retired. Do you have a link showing that he was sacked

He was removed from carrying out law enforcement activity/duties and was moved to a purely civilian role in a DA office away from his former police department .
    Back in earlier before the shooting

So yeah sacked as a cop

He was sacked and failed to complete basic escalation of force training. Extremely relevant here. He also had long since lost his powers of arrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Overheal wrote: »
    I didn’t hear any mention of a citizens arrest in the video did you

Other than the video showing them attempting one then no

Gatling wrote: »
    He was removed from carrying out law enforcement activity/duties and was moved to a purely civilian role in a DA office away from his former police department .
    Back in earlier before the shooting

So yeah sacked as a cop

Thats not being sacked. Also, link please

• Advertisement

GY_1980 wrote: »
    From a legal perspective, you must have been present during the burglary or have reasonable/immediate knowledge that the person was involved in a burglary.

The neighbour told them they saw arbery. So they had immeadiate knowledge

Maybe they should have rang the police and let professionals deal with it.

They did ring the police. The police were on their way to the scene as it happened. Which would suggest they were not out to murder anyone

Other than the video showing them attempting one then no

They didn’t say so in the video.

They didn’t say so in the 911 calls.

Hmm.

Not of any felony.

Citizens Arrest does not then apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It's similar to Travellers here, they can rob and beat pensioners to a pulp in their own home, but how dare anyone say anything about them.
    Looks the same here. Yes he was black, and clearly out robbing properties, and how dare a white man try to stop him.
    The world is too PC/

He died in a struggle, grabbing at a gun, what would have happened had he got it from him and killed him instead. He'd be going life.

Virtually everyone I know complain about travellers. Maybe not explicitly in the media, but general population would be very critical of traveller behavior. So it's not true that you can't complain about travellers.
    Even on board's very few posters support traveller behavior or lifestyle.

But seriously, you are suggesting that criticism of an unarmed man been shot dead is evidence that the world is too PC. Pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Thats not being sacked.

What would you call it ,

A clap on the back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Didn’t those two worthless dirtbags get arrested and charged anyway? Hope they each get put in cells with some friendly African American chaps. I’m sure they’ll get a warm “welcome” in the showers.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Didn’t those two worthless dirtbags get arrested and charged anyway? Hope they each get put in cells with some friendly African American chaps. I’m sure they’ll get a warm “welcome” in the showers.

All three of them are in jail now. They booked the videographer a few days ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

They did ring the police. The police were on their way to the scene as it happened. Which would suggest they were not out to murder anyone

I heard they also made a call several days earlier and no police showed up; is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You want potentially innocent men to be raped by blacks?? Are you a psycho?

Where did I say I wanted them to be raped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's not immediate knowledge.
    The neighbour would be the only one with such knowledge in that instance, it's not "shared" by being told.

It's hearsay at best and if incorrect, which in this case the CCTV evidence of Arbery's visit to the construction site would show it is!
    Was false and contributed to an unlawful killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Arbery was known to the McMichaels along with his weapons charge (Gregory had investigated him whilst on police duty) A gun had gone missing from a car in the neighborhood recently. In a call a few days before the indecent, Travis McMichaels had seen a man matching Arbery's description with what appeared to be a gun.

Unless he was in the middle of committing a crime that somehow involved mcmichaels, thenmcmichaels shouldn't be trying to stop him going about his business.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I presume all the " I demand my freedom" folks that are refusing to wear masks in to businesses are fully backing the dead man in this case and demanding mcmichaels face the full extent of the law......................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I wouldn't want a potentially innocent man shot dead either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Potentially innocent" they pursued and shot him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

The world is too PC/

What a scumbag you are

A lot of armchair apologists here seem to have upturned the entire concept of self defense.

Now when the womens are held up at gunpoint we have to rewrite the book at what we tell them to do: self defense classes out, sitting on the ground and waiting for the police is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Overheal wrote: »
    A lot of armchair apologists here seem to have upturned the entire concept of self defense.

Now when the womens are held up at gunpoint we have to rewrite the book at what we tell them to do: self defense classes out, sitting on the ground and waiting for the police is in.

Thats not fair. You need to know what colour the woman and/or attacker is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

What a scumbag you are

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Lol

LOL LMAO :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement