Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahmaud Arbery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Arbery basically commit suicide by attacking a guy with a gun.

same as someone attacking the police "suicide by cop"

He was probably coked outa his head going into house and attacking people with guns.

Why isnt the media reporting this quality evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

pjohnson wrote: »
    Why isnt the media reporting this quality evidence?

It's been removed you have to be a member of a secret society to access the secret knock to access secret PM's

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A nice high res picture of 220 Satilla Drive (the house that Arbery entered on the day he died)

Note the "No Trespassing" sign

cbAr6OP.jpg

No proof here that the sign was up before the incident. It’s not seen in the videos. Do you spot it in the NYT footage? I don’t.

Overheal wrote: »
    No proof here that the sign was up before the incident. It’s not seen in the videos. Do you spot it in the NYT footage? I don’t.

I don't actually believe that's the actual property .

Google maps seems to show a completely different property and layout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

In the NYT footage & the footage in the OP (they are the same footage) there is a tree directly in front of the spot where the sign would be. So there is no way to know weather the sign is there or not. Im going to assume it was there for two reasons.

1. The only clear photo we have at the moment shows it there
    2. The owner had a string of trespassings so would most likely have erected the sign by the time of the incedent.

Ill try to find the date and more info on the sign so we can all have the facts

On the subject of the NYT report, I have now noticed an inaccuracy. They say the first shot hit his chest however according to the district attourney memo (linked earlier), it hot his hand as he tried to grab the barrell of the gun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In the NYT footage & the footage in the OP (they are the same footage) there is a tree directly in front of the spot where the sign would be. So there is no way to know weather the sign is there or not. Im going to assume it was there for two reasons.

1. The only clear photo we have at the moment shows it there
    2. The owner had a string of trespassings so would most likely have erected the sign by the time of the incedent.

Ill try to find the date and more info on the sign so we can all have the facts

On the subject of the NYT report, I have now noticed an inaccuracy. They say the first shot hit his chest however according to the district attourney memo (linked earlier), it hot his hand as he tried to grab the barrell of the gun

they could have have a million signs and it would make no difference to the guilt of the three men.

Gatling wrote: »
    I don't actually believe that's the actual property .

Google maps seems to show a completely different property and layout

The latest Google maps image is from 2014 - before the property was built. Thats why you only see an empty site. It is 100% definitly 220 Satilla Drive in the photo.

It seems there is now even more to this case involving the police and their actions that lead to the murder, could be more charges in the future ?

Two months before Ahmaud Arbery was fatally shot in Glynn County, Ga., a police officer there sent a text to a property owner who was worried about recurring trespassing incidents, a lawyer for the homeowner said on Friday.

The officer provided the phone number of a nearby resident, telling the owner to call it the next time his motion-sensing security cameras whirred into action.

Charlie Bailey, a former senior assistant district attorney in Fulton County, Ga., said it was highly irregular for a police agency to recommend that a person who was not active in law enforcement to respond to a potential crime

I’ve never heard, in my time as a prosecutor, of police enlisting a civilian to do something that the police are sworn to do,” said Mr. Bailey, a former Democratic candidate for state attorney general. “You’re not supposed to have civilians acting as police.”

The revelation is certain to bring more scrutiny upon the local police force, which appears to have bungled the shooting investigation and has a record of past troubles, including claims of cover-ups and other misconduct. The state attorney general has asked the Justice Department to initiate a sweeping investigation into the case.

On Friday night, S. Lee Merritt, a lawyer for Mr. Arbery’s family, called for the officer who sent the text and “all participating parties” to be arrested. “We believe this communication deputized a group of untrained men in the Satilla Shores community to hunt down suspected trespassers, causing the events of Feb. 23, 2020,” he said, referring to the killing

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/16/us/ahmaud-arbery-gregory-mcmichael.html

The latest Google maps image is from 2014 - before the property was built. Thats why you only see an empty site. It is 100% definitly 220 Satilla Drive in the photo.

I'm seeing a totally different house and layout that's not new and I didn't see any empty site .

I'm sure someone who knows Google maps might be able to explain

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It seems there is now even more to this case involving the police and their actions that lead to the murder, could be more charges in the future ?

Two months before Ahmaud Arbery was fatally shot in Glynn County, Ga., a police officer there sent a text to a property owner who was worried about recurring trespassing incidents, a lawyer for the homeowner said on Friday.

The officer provided the phone number of a nearby resident, telling the owner to call it the next time his motion-sensing security cameras whirred into action.

Charlie Bailey, a former senior assistant district attorney in Fulton County, Ga., said it was highly irregular for a police agency to recommend that a person who was not active in law enforcement to respond to a potential crime

I’ve never heard, in my time as a prosecutor, of police enlisting a civilian to do something that the police are sworn to do,” said Mr. Bailey, a former Democratic candidate for state attorney general. “You’re not supposed to have civilians acting as police.”

The revelation is certain to bring more scrutiny upon the local police force, which appears to have bungled the shooting investigation and has a record of past troubles, including claims of cover-ups and other misconduct. The state attorney general has asked the Justice Department to initiate a sweeping investigation into the case.

On Friday night, S. Lee Merritt, a lawyer for Mr. Arbery’s family, called for the officer who sent the text and “all participating parties” to be arrested. “We believe this communication deputized a group of untrained men in the Satilla Shores community to hunt down suspected trespassers, causing the events of Feb. 23, 2020,” he said, referring to the killing

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/16/us/ahmaud-arbery-gregory-mcmichael.html

well that would explain why they did nothing for 2 months.

• Advertisement

well that would explain why they did nothing for 2 months.

Probably Hoping to get their stories rights so that only one person,( the victim) got sole blame for being hunted and murdered in the street ,while the sacked excop gets paraded as a local hero

It seems there is now even more to this case involving the police and their actions that lead to the

This is old news and I linked to it days ago... In Georgia, citizens arrests are legal so I dont see a problem with police using all resources available to make residents and their property safe. Whats your opinion on it? I linked an article a few days ago that detail at least some of the text message exchange

In Georgia, citizens arrests are legal

murder is illegal isn't it in Georgia

Any more cops involved should now be sacked and be prosecuted for their involvement in the murder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

This is old news and I linked to it days ago... In Georgia, citizens arrests are legal so I dont see a problem with police using all resources available to make residents and their property safe. Whats your opinion on it? I linked an article a few days ago that detail at least some of the text message exchange

It’s already been established on this thread repeatedly that since the McMichaels had no immediate knowledge that Arbery had committed a crime, they had no authority to make a citizens arrest.

You know this but you keep pushing this angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Well a former senior district attorney thinks it is highly irregular, so I'll go with his interpretation.

KiKi III wrote: »
    It’s already been established on this thread repeatedly that since the McMichaels had no immediate knowledge that Arbery had committed a crime, they had no authority to make a citizens arrest.

You know this but you keep pushing this angle.

It hasn't been established conclusively though. Nobody has yet found what the definition of "immediate knowledge" is as it pertains to Georgia law. The best we have is a previous case that had some similarities to this one. That is not enough to form any concrete conclusions. I thought this line of discussion was over when we agreed to let the courts decide?

My opinion is that the McMichaels may not have had grounds for a citizens arrest, if that is the case, throw the book at them. If it is established by the court that they had legitimate grounds, release them.

As it stands, with the current information we have, none of us can claim to be correct on this one. I completely understand your argument and have read about the case you referenced but I don't know enough yet to make up my mind. I feel arguing about this issue with no concrete information would be fruitless.

What is you opinion of district attorney George Barnhill's informed professional opinion on this issue?

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/6916-george-barnhill-letter-to-glyn/b52fa09cdc974b970b79/optimized/full.pdf

"It appears Travis McMichael, GregMcMichael, and Bryan William were following, in 'hot pursuit', a burglary suspect, with solid firsthand probable cause, in their neighborhood, and asking / telling him to stop. It appears their intent was to stop and hold this criminal suspect until law enforcement arrived. Under Georgia Law this is perfectly legal,

OCGA 17-4-60 A private person may arrest an offender if the offense is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge. If the offense is a felony and the offender is escaping or attempting to escape, a private person may arrest him upon reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion.”

I take from this that George Barnhill feels, in his professional opinion that the McMichaels acted within the law. What is your opinion on this?

joe40 wrote: »
    Well a former senior district attorney thinks it is highly irregular, so I'll go with his interpretation.

I 100% agree that it is irregular.

The below serving district attorney seems to think the McMichaels did nothing wrong. Do you agree with him also?

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/6916-george-barnhill-letter-to-glyn/b52fa09cdc974b970b79/optimized/full.pdf

A little background on District Attorney George Barnhill

"I am the current elected District Attorney for the Waycross Circuit, I have worked as a criminal prosecutor for some 36 years. As an Assistant District Attorney in Waycross and Brunswick, as Chief Assistant in Waycross for 20 years and served as the District Attorney the last 5 years ; I have been actively involved in over 100 murder cases and assisted other prosecutors with at least 100 more. I have no idea how many Aggravated Assault cases involving gunshots and wounds of all types; Plus I have attended countless schools, classes and seminars on criminal prosecution and criminal acts and evidence. Myself and one ofmy Senior Trial Attorneys have reviewed the evidence extensively and concur on all points."

I take from this that George Barnhill feels, in his professional opinion that the McMichael

In his biased opinion toward an former employee and sacked cop.

I noticed he made a comment about mental health he cannot give an opinion about a murdered persons mental Health ,

Another good oul boy

Dear oh dear .

That was just Too easy

A national association of district attorneys is condemning the actions of a prosecutor who eventually removed himself from the Ahmaud Arbery case, and expressed concern that his handling of the case could prevent a “just outcome.”

In a strongly worded statement over the weekend, the National District Attorneys Association took particular issue with George Barnhill’s issuing a detailed letter exonerating the McMichaels on April 3 after he had concluded that he had a conflict of interest in the case. The association has 5,500 members and represents two-thirds of state and local prosecutors’ offices.

“We must strongly disagree with District Attorney George Barnhill’s decision to share his opinion of whether Greg and Travis McMichael should be arrested after he decided to recuse himself from the case,” the association said.

The association said the letter could influence jurors and make another prosecutor’s job more difficult. “No prosecutor should inject his or her opinion into a pending case to the point where she or he becomes a potential witness and risks compromising the just outcome of a case.”

Barnhill could not be reached for comment Sunday.

Even before he was appointed by Attorney General Chris Carr to prosecute the Arbery case, Barnhill advised Glynn County police not to arrest Travis McMichael, 34, and Gregory McMichael, 64. The case made almost no progress for the two-and-a-half months that followed.

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Arbery basically commit suicide by attacking a guy with a gun.

same as someone attacking the police "suicide by cop"

He was probably coked outa his head going into house and attacking people with guns.

In fact no alcohol or drug use appeared in autopsy.

• Advertisement

I'd be very interested in reading his autopsy report, would you have a link? Or did you get this information from another source. If you could link that it would be appreciated.

I'd be very interested in reading his autopsy report, would you have a link? Or did you get this information from another source. If you could link that it would be appreciated.

Not on hand sorry and I’m on spotty 3G this weekend.

Edit: https://abcnews.go.com/US/ahmaud-arbery-died-multiple-gunshot-wounds-autopsy-finds/story?id=70634924

I'm sure some Will be hoping they can find something preferably illegal to be found on his person or in him other than lead from 3 shot gun rounds so they can try twist the narrative again

As far as I can tell, the connection between Barnhill and Greg was though Barnhills son:

https://www.wtoc.com/2020/05/07/gbi-arrests-two-men-connection-with-shooting-death-ahmaud-arbery/

FWIW, I feel Barnhill is a man with integrity. Fair play to him for stepping down. I also don't think he would have lied or tried to bend the truth on his legal analysis of the case.

"Dear Ms Crittendon and McGowan:

Thank you again for emailing back. This is a case without any law enforcement warrants. I agreed to take the file from Jackie Johnson, the District Attorney in Glynn County, for review to see if it justified and arrest and/or presentation to a Glynn County Grand Jury.

Greg McMichael, a party/ witness in the matter, retired from law enforcement then worked at her office as an investigator for several years up until re-retiring about 10 months ago. His son, whom I have never met and do not know, is the shooter in this case. Ahmaud Arbery was shot and died in this confrontation.

Upon taking the case, my office began gathering the array of materials one normally gathers. My Chief Victim Assistant, Tammy Horlock, talked several times with Mr Arbery's family; I spoke to the mother once; Senior ADA Michelle McIntire was monitoring the collection of information through Capt. Tom Jump GPD. We had told the family it would take a month to 6 weeks to get the autopsy report. They apparently did not believe us. Note: Ms McIntire in my office received the autopsy April 2nd. I know they called the Attorney General Office sometime during this time.

My son works as an Assistant District Attorney for Jackie Johnson. Unknown to Jackie and me until about 3-4 weeks ago, he had handled a previous felony probation revocation and pleading Ahmaud Arbery to a felony in her Glynn County Office.

A local 'rabble rouser' has taken up this cause and begun publishing wild and factually incorrect and legally wrong accusations on Facebook and other social media formats calling for marches and physical affronts be made against the McMichaels at their homes, and my son's home in Brunswick etc.. . To date I have seen no direct connection between the 'rouser' and the family other than their increased calls for my office to be removed, that I must be biased.

This family are not strangers to the local criminal justice system. From best we can tell, Ahmauds older brother has gone to prison in the past and is currently in the Glynn jail, without bond, awaiting new felony prosecution. It also appears a cousin has been prosecuted by DA Johnson's office. Ahmaud, the deceased, had a juvenile and adult felony record.

In that regard, given the connection between myself and my son, and my son having worked with Greg McMichael for several years, and now known that he and Greg McMichael both helped with the previous prosecution of Arbery; I believe it is in the best interest of justice to recuse both myself and my office from this particular investigation.

In doing so I request another District Attorney be appointed to review the file and give advice to the Glynn County Police Department and determine whether there is anything justifying a presentation to a Glynn County Grand Jury.

I believe we have the majority of the information at our office. There is a decent cell phone video of the entire shooting incident, also video of Arbery burglarizing a home immediately preceding the chase and confrontation. We have a witness list and have done research we would include with the file to be available for the new prosecutor's use if desired.

Thank you for your help in this matter

George E Barnhill

District Attorney

Waycross Judicial Circuit"

One other interesting part of the article:

In a statement sent to WTOC on May 9, a Glynn County spokesperson says Glynn County police opted not to charge Travis and Gregory McMichael with the shooting of Ahmaud Arbery on advice from two district attorneys, including Waycross DA George Barnhill Sr., who told their detectives the shooting was a “justifiable homicide” less than 24 hours after it happened. The county spokesman also says Barnhill told them not to release facts about the case that “could impact future prosecution.”

Just on the issue of DA's being biased in this case, I feel that is an unfair angle to take given that Greg has three decades of service with law enforcement, he probably knows many many people in the legal profession. This is what happens in a 30 year career and does not indicate he is getting favors from associates in the legal profession. Both Jackie Johnson and George Barnhill stepped down when they realized they were connected to McMichaels. This honest behavior makes me think their analysis of the case is unbiased. They both seem to think the McMichales are innocent of wrongdoing.

Brunswick District Attorney Jackie Johnson’s statement:

https://www.wtoc.com/2020/05/09/glynn-county-releases-statement-shooting-death-ahmaud-arbery/

In the statement, the county say that first Brunswick DA Jackie Johnson’s office told them there wasn’t probable cause for an arrest.

The county also says her office told detectives the McMichaels were not a flight risk and no arrests were necessary at the time.

Johnson previously said she recused herself, given the McMichaels’ connection to her office. Gregory worked at the Glynn County Police Department in the 80s and spent more than two decades as an investigator with the Brunswick DA.

Both Jackie Johnson and George Barnhill stepped down when they realized they were connected to McMichaels. This honest behavior makes me think their analysis of the case is unbiased. They both seem to think the McMichales are innocent of wrongdoing..

Enough of the Shiite ,honest behaviour , analysis of the case is unbiased ...

The DA was biased towards the sacked white cop who happened to work for them before retiring from his civilian post as a civilian.
    Your opinion has been single handed the most biased from the very first post and every subsequent post after ,

I'm just searching for dirt on the victim so I can cheer excop who murdered him go team McMichael.

Pathetic

Just on the issue of DA's being biased in this case, I feel that is an unfair angle to take given that Greg has three decades of service with law enforcement, he probably knows many many people in the legal profession. This is what happens in a 30 year career and does not indicate he is getting favors from associates in the legal profession. Both Jackie Johnson and George Barnhill stepped down when they realized they were connected to McMichaels. This honest behavior makes me think their analysis of the case is unbiased. They both seem to think the McMichales are innocent of wrongdoing.

Brunswick District Attorney Jackie Johnson’s statement:

https://www.wtoc.com/2020/05/09/glynn-county-releases-statement-shooting-death-ahmaud-arbery/

In the statement, the county say that first Brunswick DA Jackie Johnson’s office told them there wasn’t probable cause for an arrest.

The county also says her office told detectives the McMichaels were not a flight risk and no arrests were necessary at the time.

Johnson previously said she recused herself, given the McMichaels’ connection to her office. Gregory worked at the Glynn County Police Department in the 80s and spent more than two decades as an investigator with the Brunswick DA.

You’re on a small island of belief there imo

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why? To look for something else to nitpick on for days to continue the quest to pin blame to arbery?

What do you hope to find in an autopsy? You have a video of him being shot. You going to try argue he actually died of heart failure and the shooting was unrelated?

I found further details on Arberys previous gun charge:

https://www.unz.com/isteve/why-was-ahmaud-arbery-formerly-ahmaud-avery/

Note in particular the bolded part, Arbery was told to stop several times but kept running despite having a gun pointed at him. This is what happened the day he died, he ran despite being told to stop sever times by the McMichaels. It shows a pattern of behavior. Now I'm not saying he deserved what happened, that is a real tragedy but this article shows there is more to this story

"At about 7:20 p.m. Tuesday, Glynn County Schools Resource Officer Jody Vicent noticed a man with a handgun tucked in the waistband of his pants attempting to enter the basketball game between Brunswick High School and Glynn Academy at the Brunswick High School gym.

The man, identified by Schools Police Chief Rod Ellis as 19-year-old Ahmaud Marquez Avery, ran when Vicent tried to stop him, said Ellis, who was on alert in his police vehicle in a parking lot because of a nearby chase involving Brunswick police.

Ellis said he drove alongside Avery with his gun pointed at him as Avery ran along a sidewalk in front of the school. After being ordered to stop several times, Ellis said Avery ran between buildings to the back of the school, where two officers cornered him and arrested him.

“Once he was handcuffed, the offender confirmed by exculpatory statement that he was indeed armed, but he had dropped the weapon in his attempt to escape,” Ellis said.

An intense search, joined by Glynn County police, Brunswick police and College of Coastal Georgia police, found a .380 caliber semi-automatic pistol under a folding sandwich board-style sign in front of the gym, Ellis said.

Avery is charged with two felonies, possession of a weapon on school property and obstruction of an officer with violence, and a high and aggravated misdemeanor of obstruction of a public school. Ellis said other charges may be pending. "

• Advertisement

Body cam footage of Arbery's shoplifting apprehension:

https://binginews.com/snapchat-lindsay-mcmichael-leaked-body-ahmaud-arbery/3216/

The video, dated Dec. 1, 2017, shows Arbery and three teenagers being confronted by police in the parking lot of a Walmart shopping center

Source NYPOST:“Tell me about the TV,” a police officer asks.
    “TV? What? We don’t have any TV,” Arbery, wearing shorts and a parka, responds.
    “What about the 65-inch TV?” the cop says.
    “Sixty-five inch TV?” Arbery says.
    “Do me a favor,” the cop replies. “All of you take a seat.”
    “Take a seat for what?” Arbery snaps back. “I don’t know nothing about no TV…. I don’t steal no TV.”

“What TV?” Arbery says. “The TV is in there,” motioning toward the store.
    Arbery then claims he has a receipt and tries to get up from the ground, but is placed in handcuffs and put into a squad car.

I believe this is relevant to the discussion as it shows Arbery has form for burglary. It adds extra credence to him being up to no good in Larry English's house. It also show's yet again that he has no respect for authority (he ends up getting himself handcuffed for disrespecting the cop).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement