Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahmaud Arbery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    You tell me, your the one who brings her to the discussion.

I don’t know. Do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Overheal wrote: »
    I don’t know. Do you?

Then what was your point showing a girl outside a university with a gun?

Then what was your point showing a girl outside a university with a gun?

I explained that in the post you quoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

I explained that in the post you quoted.

Yeah ok :rolleyes: great comparison.

Yeah ok :rolleyes: great comparison.

Indeed. She wasn’t charged for bringing a weapon to campus. Ahmaud was. She brought a gun to campus and so did he. He’s a “thug” and she isn’t. Thanks for agreeing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

As the 12 mile distance came up again tonight from another poster, I thought I would share my findings on distances in the interest of integrity.

Point A is Ahmaud Arbery's home, 140 Boykin Ridge Drive.

Point B is 220 Satilla Drive (the property of Larry English).

Note the route marked in blue. It is the most likely route one would take if they were to jog from A to B. the distance is between 1.8 miles and 2.2 miles, as we see in the image.

s3ahG5E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Bye.

As long as they are allowed to keep posting the same blame the victim ****e ,he / she will keep posting ****e despite being proven wrong or lying repeatedly.

Odd that we had links to a white supremacist site

remember it's not about race !

This is a heart warming article no matter what side of the debate you are on:

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/05/14/artist-painting-mural-of-ahmaud-arbery-on-brunswick-building/

"Artist painting mural of Ahmaud Arbery on Brunswick building
    Marvin Weeks: ‘This is a focal point where we can all come together’

Arbery’s mural is on the side of the building, which will soon be the site of the Brunswick African American Cultural Center. It’s set to open at the end of summer.

The center’s director, Aundra Fuller, is calling the situation a humanitarian issue, not a race issue.

Fuller said she hopes the portrait of Arbery on her building will represent what Brunswick is really about.

Weeks said Arbery's father and uncle have visited the mural."

The bolded part I found particularly touching. I cant imagine what is must be like for a father visiting a mural of your son, it would really bring it home that he was gone, his potential wasted. Tragic. Hopefully this image of young Ahmuad will be a symbol of change for good in the area.

The mural itself:

oMmYO2Z.jpg

Not buying the act

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

In Europe if a citizen (not police) tries to arrest another citizen and ends up killing the second citizen, regardless of skin colour, that first citizen gets arrested by the police and convicted of murder. How that isn't the case in the US is mindboggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

It hasn't been established conclusively though. Nobody has yet found what the definition of "immediate knowledge" is as it pertains to Georgia law. The best we have is a previous case that had some similarities to this one. That is not enough to form any concrete conclusions. I thought this line of discussion was over when we agreed to let the courts decide?

My opinion is that the McMichaels may not have had grounds for a citizens arrest, if that is the case, throw the book at them. If it is established by the court that they had legitimate grounds, release them.

As it stands, with the current information we have, none of us can claim to be correct on this one. I completely understand your argument and have read about the case you referenced but I don't know enough yet to make up my mind. I feel arguing about this issue with no concrete information would be fruitless.

What is you opinion of district attorney George Barnhill's informed professional opinion on this issue?

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/6916-george-barnhill-letter-to-glyn/b52fa09cdc974b970b79/optimized/full.pdf

"It appears Travis McMichael, GregMcMichael, and Bryan William were following, in 'hot pursuit', a burglary suspect, with solid firsthand probable cause, in their neighborhood, and asking / telling him to stop. It appears their intent was to stop and hold this criminal suspect until law enforcement arrived. Under Georgia Law this is perfectly legal,

OCGA 17-4-60 A private person may arrest an offender if the offense is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge. If the offense is a felony and the offender is escaping or attempting to escape, a private person may arrest him upon reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion.”

I take from this that George Barnhill feels, in his professional opinion that the McMichaels acted within the law. What is your opinion on this?

My opinion is that the McMichaels couldn’t have had immediate knowledge of a crime that would warrant a citizens arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

This is a heart warming article no matter what side of the debate you are on:

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/05/14/artist-painting-mural-of-ahmaud-arbery-on-brunswick-building/

"Artist painting mural of Ahmaud Arbery on Brunswick building
    Marvin Weeks: ‘This is a focal point where we can all come together’

Arbery’s mural is on the side of the building, which will soon be the site of the Brunswick African American Cultural Center. It’s set to open at the end of summer.

The center’s director, Aundra Fuller, is calling the situation a humanitarian issue, not a race issue.

Fuller said she hopes the portrait of Arbery on her building will represent what Brunswick is really about.

Weeks said Arbery's father and uncle have visited the mural."

The bolded part I found particularly touching. I cant imagine what is must be like for a father visiting a mural of your son, it would really bring it home that he was gone, his potential wasted. Tragic. Hopefully this image of young Ahmuad will be a symbol of change for good in the area.

The mural itself:

oMmYO2Z.jpg

Fück right off. And keep fücking off. And then fück off some more if you think you can spend days defending Arbery’s killers until you’re blue in the face and then say “ah but look at the lovely mural” as though that makes anything okay.

You absolutely disgust me and you’re a horrendous racist, the post above is a paltry attempt by you to make it seem like you’ve a well balanced view of the issue when you’ve been defending those killers for days.

The bolded part I found particularly touching. I cant imagine what is must be like for a father visiting a mural of your son, it would really bring it home that he was gone, his potential wasted. Tragic.

This is perverse given you’ve been smearing Arbery as a ne’er-do-well this entire thread. Dragging around his rap sheet and the McMichaels suspicions - and your own. “Potential wasted!” :mad:

Man tf up if this is a weak attempt at slithering down from that hill you withered and died on, just admit so.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @KiKi III - don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As the 12 mile distance came up again tonight from another poster, I thought I would share my findings on distances in the interest of integrity.

Point A is Ahmaud Arbery's home, 140 Boykin Ridge Drive.

Point B is 220 Satilla Drive (the property of Larry English).

Note the route marked in blue. It is the most likely route one would take if they were to jog from A to B. the distance is between 1.8 miles and 2.2 miles, as we see in the image.

So in your "extensive research" up to now, you never even checked google maps? You took the words of "multiple sources" ( which afaik you still havnt posted) and just fronted it out for days?

So in your "extensive research" up to now, you never even checked google maps? You took the words of "multiple sources" ( which afaik you still havnt posted) and just fronted it out for days?

I needed to know Arberys address in order to get the exact distance. In lieu of having his address I used all the information I had and made measurements using google maps. It was quite a few days before I managed to get his address

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

Ahmaud Arbery is automatically a “thug” or a “scumbag” and a “criminal” for bringing a gun to school.

Meanwhile Kaitlin Bennet is a poster child for the right wing...

Never heard of Kaitlin Bennet but a legally held firearm being used to highlight the legality of open-carry is hardly the same as someone attempting to access a high-school game with a concealed and illegally held weapon.

I'm not for a second arguing the morality of it, or supporting her political agenda, or even disputing that she's possibly a nutter. No idea.

But hardly even a vaguely credible comparison.

So in your "extensive research" up to now, you never even checked google maps?

For information that has been public knowledge since February

Gatling wrote: »
    For information that has been public knowledge since February

Funnily enough, it was available earlier than that. I found his address buried in some documentation from 2017.

Funnily enough, it was available earlier than that.

That didn't take long for you to start again.

And to think .

• Advertisement

Interesting article featuring an interview with Lindsay McMichael (the daughter/sister of the accused) I know, not exactly and unbiased source but it may give some indication to the characters of the accused... It also details some of the fallout being dealt with by those who were not involved in the incident...

The article seems to paint a picture of the McMichaels as good people, not interested in the color of peoples skin (again I acknowledge the source could be a little less biased)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8326369/Woman-brother-father-charged-murder-Ahmaud-Arbery-speaks-out.html

Lindsay told The Sun on Saturday that she does not believe Arbery's slaying was racially motivated, claiming that her father and brother have 'loved' all her non-white boyfriends.

'I have never dated anyone of the same race since I was 19 years old and my father and my brother have loved every person that I've ever dated like they were their own son or brother.

'These are people that I have brought home, that my sweet mama has cooked for and given everything to'.

Lindsay continued: 'They're not monsters. This wasn't a lynching. Do I think mistakes were made? Absolutely, but look back on your life how many mistakes have you made?'

Linday says she saw Travis' clothes splattered with Arbery's blood, and saw terror in his face.

'I've seen my brother in his happiest moments - I was there when his child was born and I've seen him in distress and I know that look... it wasn't like some glory thing, like 'I stalked and then got the kill that I was hoping for'.

'It was absolute f***king panic... I really do believe that things just escalated so fast.'

'I don't think it was vigilante justice. Travis had a weapon stolen. My mom's car had been rifled through. I think they just thought 'Let's apprehend this guy'.'

Lindsay called for calm in her interview with The Sun, stating: 'Here in the country of the United States, it is innocent until proven guilty'.

'I get it that people are angry. But let it all [the complete evidence] come out, please, for the love of God and then we'll figure things out after that.

'If things were done that were nefarious or wrong, fine, but let it come out first.'

Linday says that both she and her 61-year-old mom have been subject to violent threats.

Anonymous people have allegedly threatened to 'murder and rape' the pair.

* Just a note on Lindsay, she posted a picture of the scene where Mr. Arbery died on her social media just after it happened. She has since apologized for that and I think it was a really stupid thing for her to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Funnily enough, it was available earlier than that. I found his address buried in the Glynn County Police report on the incident in Townsend Park which happened in July 2017 (this is the incident I linked the other day where Arbery was acting suspiciously, driving without a license/insurance & in possession of Marijuana)
    I thanked your post about the mural, I was naively giving you the benefit of the doubt, but yet again a chance to black Arbery's name is never missed.

The innocence or guilt of the McMichaels does not depend on Arbery's past actions, it solely depends on their actions on the day of the shooting.

Arbery is a victim in this case, he is not on trial.

joe40 wrote: »
    I thanked your post about the mural, I was naively giving you the benefit of the doubt, but yet again a chance to black Arbery's name is never missed.

The innocence or guilt of the McMichaels does not depend on Arbery's past actions, it solely depends on their actions on the day of the shooting.

Arbery is a victim in this case, he is not on trial.

Apologies if you picked it up like that, it was not my intention but I can see I worded it poorly. I have gone back and edited the post.

Lovely article that gives an insight into the life of Ahmaud. I think its important to discussion that we have a big picture of the character of the man:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6984645/ahmaud-arbery-life/

Seems he was well respected by his peers and was ready to put his past troubles behind him. I did not know he was a champion football player.

---

Family, friends say Ahmaud Arbery’s life was at a crossroads when he was killed

He had enrolled at South Georgia Technical College, preparing to become an electrician, just like his uncles.

A makeshift memorial of flowers now rests on the lawn of a house near where he died, along with a plaque reading, “It’s hard to forget someone who gave us so much to remember.” (I believe it was his poor mother who put that plaque there, no parent should have to do that)

In his final months on Earth, Arbery appeared to be someone who felt on the verge of personal and professional breakthroughs, especially because his probation could have ended this year

So he worked at his father’s car wash and landscaping business, and previously had held a job at McDonald’s.

Born May 8, 1994, Ahmaud Marquez Arbery was the youngest of three children, answering to the affectionate nicknames “Maud” and “Quez.”

“As soon as practice started and Ahmaud started to really go, oh man, his speed was amazing,” Vaughn recalled with a laugh. “He was undersized, but his heart was huge.”

Off the field, Ahmaud had a talent for raising the spirits of the people around him — and a penchant for imitating his coach, Vaughn said.

“Ahmaud was just ready to put himself in a position to be where he wanted to be in life,” he said. “That’s what they took from him.”

Seems he was well respected by his peers and was ready to put his past troubles behind him. I did not know he was a champion football player.

Off the field, Ahmaud had a talent for raising the spirits of the people around him — and a penchant for imitating his coach, Vaughn said.

“Ahmaud was just ready to put himself in a position to be where he wanted to be in life,” he said. “That’s what they took from him.”

But yet you made multiple claims about him being dangerous , violent , having issues around authority , being a violent criminal yet he only ever received a single probation order

The Utterly disusting manner you treated the victim and solely blamed him for getting chaserdi out of a white neighborhood by armed white men and murdered .

Trying to post this ****e under the guise oh I'm posting a lovely article so you can post another 50 directly attacking Ahmaud.

Sick

But yet you made multiple claims about him being dangerous , violent , having issues around authority , being a violent criminal yet he only ever received a single probation order

The Utterly disusting manner you treated the victim and solely blamed him for getting chaserdi out of a white neighborhood by armed white men and murdered .

Trying to post this ****e under the guise oh I'm posting a lovely article so you can post another 50 directly attacking Ahmaud.

Sick

Although we disagree, I respect your opinion & am taking it into consideration. As you can see I am exploring all aspects of the case, warts and all. I am sharing all knowledge I have about Ahmuad, the good and the bad which I think is fair. I have already expressed multiple times that I feel sorry for his family & have expressed my admiration for his potential in the future. None of us can deny that the man had a past but it certainly looks to me like he was trying to move beyond that.

You use the language that I "claimed" he had various legal issues. These are not "claims" by me, they are facts & I have shared all police records & video evidence that prove everything. I know that these facts are hard to swallow but in the interest of thorough discussion I feel we need to move past that unease. It is also worth pointing out that he did not have a "single" probation order. He got probation for the gun charge and then had it extended with the shoplifting charge (that could be a semantic argument but I am no expert).

I would also point out that at this juncture, it is unfair to claim he was murdered. We must retain the presumption of innocence unless a court of law decides otherwise.

I am sharing all knowledge

Bs you have been on a one man wind up mission nothing Sharing knowledge no your not sharing knowledge trolling the death of a man who was chased by armed white men in a white neighborhood and murdered with 3 Shot gun blasts to his chest .

Please do what several others have suggested .

Bs you have been on a one man wind up mission nothing Sharing knowledge no your not sharing knowledge trolling the death of a man who was chased by armed white men in a white neighborhood and murdered with 3 Shot gun blasts to his chest .

Please do what several others have suggested .

That's actually inaccurate. He had a wound to his right wrist and two to his chest. At this point it is unclear weather Travis McMichaels pulled the trigger on all three occasions or if the gun discharged during the struggle. My amateur ballistics analysis would suggest the first wound (the one to his right wrist) was caused by Mr Arbery trying to grab the shotgun after he ran around the truck.

Here is some information about the autopsy report:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/national/2020/05/13/as-autopsy-report-shows-ahmaud-arbery-was-shot-twice-in-the-chest-gbi-investigates-recused-das/

At this point it is unclear weather Travis McMichaels pulled the trigger on all three occasions or

Are you actually for real .

• Advertisement

Are you actually for real .

Yes. Guns can go off during a struggle. Think of it like this - lets say man A is holding a shotgun with his finger on the trigger. Man B pulls the barrel of the shotgun towards himself, causing pressure to be exerted on the trigger that was not intended by man A (at that particular moment). This pressure could cause a discharge.

I believe this may be one avenue used by the defense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement