Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple trees

Options
  • 24-05-2020 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I have a few eaters here. They might be 15 yrs old. Next to no blossoms on them. So I expect very few apples this year. They were covered in apples last year. The same happened maybe 3 yrs ago. No apples. Every year before that they always had a great crop. Has anyone any explanation for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Do you fertilize them, prune them?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Mach Two

We never gave them fertiliser. We started pruning them last year. There was such a good crops of apples on them that you would think there would be no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Mine does the exact same, one year laden, next year barely anything. I just assume the tree uses the fallow year to replenish energy.

Mine does the exact same, one year laden, next year barely anything. I just assume the tree uses the fallow year to replenish energy.

What age are they? And did they always do it?

Mach Two wrote: »
    What age are they? And did they always do it?

About the same age, I don't recall it as much when young but certainly became more prevalent as it matured and produced more fruit.

I've just accepted it as a natural phenomenon.
    There was another similar thread on here a while back with others experiencing the same thing so you're not alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

trees naturally experience mast years. not something i've heard of in the case of apple trees, but it's a possibility.

also, from this link (i can't say if it's accurate, just struck me that this issue appeared in the year after you pruned it):
    The largest and best quality apples and pears grow on two-year-old wood and young spurs
    https://www.goodfruit.com/the-1-2-3-rule-of-pruning/

It happened before we pruned them too. One other thing to note is that it is happening on all the trees. Does that rule out lack of fertiliser?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Would think it is unlikely to be fertilizer related as trees have the ability to stretch their roots over such a wide area and so deep in the ground to get nutrients. I read somewhere before that it is a good idea to reduce the number of fruit maturing on a tree to get better fruit and another effect of this is to get a more even fruit production from year to year. If a tree produces a very large amount of fruit in one year it may need to take a couple of years to build up its energy again to have another productive year. It is a natural process in trees in the wild so the number of fruit eaters is not always at a level that all the fruit gets eaten. If there is an odd year where a surplus is produced some more fruit may simply rot and allow the next generation of plants sprout. Trees will often drop some of their immature fruit themselves so they are not trying to mature too much fruit but taking out a few apples particularly when there seems to be a large number is probably worth while. I do this with a granny smith apple tree at the end of this video clip.

It is all the trees though. If it was as you say would you not think that it would happen an odd tree now and then. Same happened a few years ago. None of the trees had any fruit worth talking about.

I think Macraignil has explained it all perfectly there.
    I'll be giving my tree a good thinning this week to reduce the amount of developing fruit.

• Advertisement

I think Macraignil has explained it all perfectly there.
    I'll be giving my tree a good thinning this week to reduce the amount of developing fruit.

You could be right as all the trees had a heavy crop last year. Would I be correct in saying that by more pruning would reduce the number of fruit bearing branches therefore reducing the amount of fruit on it.

Mach Two wrote: »
    You could be right as all the trees had a heavy crop last year. Would I be correct in saying that by more pruning would reduce the number of fruit bearing branches therefore reducing the amount of fruit on it.

Yes pretty much.
    Bear in mind that you're thinning rather than pruning, ie. Removing entire branches to create more light and space in the canopy rather than shortening every branch which will just lead to more crowding.

What time of year should I be thinning the trees. I presume it is the centre branches that should be cut.

Ideally you want to create a canopy where the branches radiate equally out and away from the trunk so removing one of two branches growing in the same direction close together and those that start on one side and grow back through the centre to the other side. You can do it now as you're still leaving plenty of leaf.

If I take too much I presume I would kill the tree. Is there any advantage in doing it now. Do I need to treat the cuts.

Less questions and more action please!
    Follow my instructions to the letter and the trees will be fine and produce a better and more even crop.
    You don't need to treat the cuts but do them cleanly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

They’re bad for drawing wasps in around the place during late summer.we do be plagued with them

Less questions and more action please!
    Follow my instructions to the letter and the trees will be fine and produce a better and more even crop.
    You don't need to treat the cuts but do them cleanly.

Very good. Thanks for your help. I will do as you say and hopefully the trees will prosper from it.

you're welcome

Advertisement