Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ride On won't start - any suggestions?

Options
  • 24-05-2020 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a Mountfield Ride On mower and it was going well so far. I started it up today for the first time in about 2 weeks and it started first time, I drove to the front garden, about 20 feet away and engaged the blades and this is when it died. I could feel it going and tried to disengage the blades but it just died. I tried starting it again with the blades disengaged and it wont. It turns over but won't start. Now the blades were at the highest setting and the grass is not long so it's not as if they were tangled.

Could it be the engine is flooded? I left it about an hour in the heat and it wouldn't start then. It's been out there all day now.

I did use the choke earlier to start it first time and I closed it off as normal and like I said it did run well until I engaged the blades. I didn't let it warm up though. I'm not sure if I had to in this heat.

There is plenty of fuel in it and the battery seems to be ok because it turns over. I'm tempted to pull out the spark plug and try starting it. It might pump out the fuel if it in there.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

breadbin wrote: »
    I recently bought a Mountfield Ride On mower and it was going well so far. I started it up today for the first time in about 2 weeks and it started first time, I drove to the front garden, about 20 feet away and engaged the blades and this is when it died. I could feel it going and tried to disengage the blades but it just died. I tried starting it again with the blades disengaged and it wont. It turns over but won't start. Now the blades were at the highest setting and the grass is not long so it's not as if they were tangled.

Could it be the engine is flooded? I left it about an hour in the heat and it wouldn't start then. It's been out there all day now.

I did use the choke earlier to start it first time and I closed it off as normal and like I said it did run well until I engaged the blades. I didn't let it warm up though. I'm not sure if I had to in this heat.

There is plenty of fuel in it and the battery seems to be ok because it turns over. I'm tempted to pull out the spark plug and try starting it. It might pump out the fuel if it in there.

Any suggestions?

Just a suggestion, is fuel tank turned off??

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

rje66 wrote: »
    Just a suggestion, is fuel tank turned off??

Not unless it turned itself off? Is that a safety thing on these? I know cars have safety cut-off but I didnt do anything. It does sound like it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

If its a brigs and stratton intek engine then flooding is the most likely cause. Pop the spark plug out and let it dry for a while, you can turn the engine over once the spark is pulled to push fuel out and dry the spark plug to save time. In this weather I find to start if you start at idle and then push the leaver until it catches and pull back until it runs nicely.

Mine has been a pain in the ass since owning the last 3 years, the carb float arms are plastic and weak and can bend which means it does not seal the fuel coming in. After winter I found I had hydraulic lock as the crankcase was full of fuel so had to drain and change the float and seal and refill with oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭eusap

Sounds more like a sensor is open,

Is gear in Neutral ?
    Is Grass collector box fitted?
    Sitting on Seat?
    Blades disengaged?
    Is there fuel in tank?

Each has a sensor and engine won't start if one fails or is open.

Are the blades free and not blocked with grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Engine oil low???

• Advertisement
Advertisement