Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to old employer..

Options
  • 24-05-2020 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I left my job and started in a new company straight away. Unfortunately, there were major issues and the new job only lasted a couple of weeks. I’ve since been on Job Seekers Benefit.
    There may be a chance that I could return to the previous job. Would they know that I have been claiming JSB?. And would they know the date that my employment was terminated in the newer job?
    I’m not sure what information is provided to the HR department by Revenue when you are taking up a job.
    Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Starting back by telling porkeys isn’t a good footing.

If your not willing to be honest don’t be applying to go back.

If they are the sort of employer that will mess you about because they know it didn’t work out for you don’t be going back to them.

There’s nothing wrong with something Not working out. I’d be of the opinion to hold your head up and say you tried something different but it didn’t work out. If they are Assholes and hold back the salary offer as a result then your best out of there anywhere.

If however Your the asshole and have messed about both employers then you need to think about what your doing and settle down and behave yourself if your lucky enough to get another job.

Personally I’d be really keen to get into employment at the moment. It’s likely we are looking into another recession and as such any employment is better then SW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BinkyBill

Thank you for the reply. I had worked for the first company for many years and I’m glad I tried something new. I definitely didn’t mess either company around.
    If I returned, I would like to keep things to myself and just say ‘things didn’t work out’..no porkies. However, the lady who is in charge of the wages is a gossip and it’s a very small company-so I just wanted to know exactly what she will know if I return?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

She will see what your tax credits are. She won't know why they are what they are.

She will likely assume that the new company put you on short-term layoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BinkyBill

She will see what your tax credits are. She won't know why they are what they are.

She will likely assume that the new company put you on short-term layoff.

Thank you for your reply. That’s great news. If I am asked to return, at least I know I can be vague in my replies and won’t have too much explaining to do about why it didn’t work out. The new procedures about P45 and P60s on the revenue site had me confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Under the PAYE modernisation system, your new employer would mark you as a leaver on their payroll submission report. Your old employer would mark you as a starter on their payroll submission once you start. Revenue will then send an RPN file to be uploaded by your old employer, it will only contain earnings, tax paid etc and current tax cut off and tax credits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Make It Real

A few questions for you, BinkyBill:

- What were the reasons that caused you to leave your original company?
    Do you still see them as being valid? Will they still be there if you return?

- How much of "something new" did you get to see in your couple of weeks in the new company?
    Could there be more "new" out there for you to see still? What might it be? Where could you maybe find it?

- What's changed here for you?
    You wanted something different. You tried it once, briefly. And now you want "the same" again.

So, was your original idea for change wrong? Or was it right, but did you maybe not know it well enough? Or plan it, give it a chance? Or hit by understandable fears due to Covid impact on the economy? Or something else?

If the dream is still alive, its not black and white and I'm sure you're smart enough to figure a way to chase it. Don't give up!

Hope this helps and let me know if I can do anything more for you.

Advertisement