Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JP said something on Twitter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

This is exactly how we undo all the work we have done to keep the virus contained. Now is not the time for complacency, it's time to completely drive the virus out. We should not imo have eased things at all yet, we should still be in full lockdown.

Think of it this way, we not have more cases and more deaths per day than when we locked down in the first place, how does it make sense to ease things when we are worse than when we started or how are people so naive as to think "we are over the worst". This is complacency and stupidity, I can't understand how intelligent people can not see this.

Making a deal about lives being on hold for 10 weeks?? Like it's incomprehensible how this is even mentioned when we are talking about live and death from the virus.

The epidemiologists, who are also intelligent people, disagree. There is almost no community transmission now. A slow reopening combined with testing and contact tracing is the way to go. Ignoring the bigger picture of having a functioning economy is an easier mindset to take but ignores the practicalities of needing a working economy to unlock people into...
    Hard to disagree with his frustration about people booking and not showing up, but yeah his means of expression tend to be a bit colourful. https://twitter.com/mistereatgalway/status/494953173296349184

I completely agree with his sentement here to be honest. People who screw over a restaurant like that deserve no sympathy. They are low margin businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

cooperguy wrote: »
    I completely agree with his sentement here to be honest. People who screw over a restaurant like that deserve no sympathy. They are low margin businesses.

What about people who screw in the restaurant. https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/food-news/ive-found-plenty-of-my-staff-having-sex-in-the-restaurant-irish-michelin-star-chef-jp-mcmahon-35088841.html
    The stuff he says always has to be distilled down to remove the self serving propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

phelant wrote: »
    What about people who screw in the restaurant. https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/food-news/ive-found-plenty-of-my-staff-having-sex-in-the-restaurant-irish-michelin-star-chef-jp-mcmahon-35088841.html
    The stuff he says always has to be distilled down to remove the self serving propaganda.

TMI, JP!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

TMI, JP!

Is he the head chef in any of his restaurants or just a front man and give zero credit to his chefs?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

He's spent the entire duration of the crisis having a pity party and personalising the measures introduced as if they were direct attempts by health officials to annoy him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

phelant wrote: »

Its an odd story but im not seeing your point.

Either point actually, you dont have to "distill down" what he's been saying to remove propaganda. He's saying quite clearly that certain levels of social distancing makes his restaurants uneconomic. Its not some sort of cryptic message or story with hidden benefit to himself...
    He's spent the entire duration of the crisis having a pity party and personalising the measures introduced as if they were direct attempts by health officials to annoy him.

That's a bad take as far as I can see. He spends half his time on Instagram posting recipes. Surely, as a restaurant owner with some level of visibility he should be advocating for small restaurants and what makes them viable, especially since so many are on a knife edge at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

More should be done about rents if the people who own the premises where these businesses who cannot operate are based are not giving them a break.

That's one area I think the Government has failed on. They just put it out in the ether that the banks SHOULD give mortgage relief. The banks then just pointed at their existing programs that don't offer much assurance. They also suggested there would be no evictions during this but there have been multiple businesses kicked out of their spaces by greedy sh1thead landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wompa1 wrote: »
    ... but there have been multiple businesses kicked out of their spaces by greedy sh1thead landlords.

Can you name them please? I'm seeing very few which have left their premises so far.

Can you name them please? I'm seeing very few which have left their premises so far.

Upwards only rents are one of the worst things ever

Sure thing.

https://twitter.com/Joey_Cabray/status/1251080245974835201

Over the Top Rope Wrestling who cannot hold shows anymore (they usually hold shows in Dublin and Belfast mainly but have also had shows in Galway, Waterford, Cork etc.)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dispute-over-lease-sees-storehouse-of-ranelagh-cafe-removed-1.4257442

and also Nick's Coffee. They came in to start to dismantle the store without a court order. The cafe owner was told about the dismantling and plan by the landlord the first week of the lockdown when it would be impossible to move elsewhere.

Sorry, I tried to include the embeds but Cloudflare on the site said it was blocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Sure thing.

https://twitter.com/Joey_Cabray/status/1251080245974835201

Over the Top Rope Wrestling who cannot hold shows anymore (they usually hold shows in Dublin and Belfast mainly but have also had shows in Galway, Waterford, Cork etc.)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dispute-over-lease-sees-storehouse-of-ranelagh-cafe-removed-1.4257442

and also Nick's Coffee. They came in to start to dismantle the store without a court order. The cafe owner was told about the dismantling and plan by the landlord the first week of the lockdown when it would be impossible to move elsewhere.

Sorry, I tried to include the embeds but Cloudflare on the site said it was blocked.

Not Galway related

Not Galway related
    More should be done about rents if the people who own the premises where these businesses who cannot operate are based are not giving them a break.

That's one area I think the Government has failed on. They just put it out in the ether that the banks SHOULD give mortgage relief. The banks then just pointed at their existing programs that don't offer much assurance. They also suggested there would be no evictions during this but there have been multiple businesses kicked out of their spaces by greedy sh1thead landlords

Did I say it was Galway? The lack of concrete action for mortgage relief and stopping evictions during this period affects all businesses and people. Galwegians included.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is about JP and is about Galway.
    Keep it local.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I've heard a few rumours ( so i wont mention the locations) around pubs that wont be reopening. The leases were up and the landlords pre covid wanted an increase in rent but refused to reduce it once the virus hit. Nothing to say someone else wont take them over. I did also notice a few to let signs around the town which i hadn't noticed before.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I, on the other hand, cannot understand how supposed intelligent people have lost all sense of reason and perspective and can see no alternative beyond locking themselves away for eternity.

People who don't align with your views are not stupid Nox. They have a different opinion to you, they have different perspectives and risk adverseness to you. They may have very real concerns in life that the current pandemic is massively impacting upon them, whether its personal, medical or economic. That does not make them stupid. This is something you seem to struggle to grasp.

Zero deaths reported today thankfully. We are emerging from this, the restrictions will continue to ease and I don't believe there will be second waves or spikes or whatever you want to call it. I'm sure you'll at least be hopeful that I'm right with that opinion.

Hopeful yes but risking my health because of bad habits of others no way, I'm quite happy to increase my chances of avoiding the virus by staying da fuq away from the general public for at least another few weeks

Was on Newstalk this morning, no keeping that man happy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I feel comm rents are way too high.

The EuroGiant on Eglinton street is 2,500 per week.

(Source: ad for building for sale)

Retail rents in Galway are higher than Edinburgh and Birmingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Was on Newstalk this morning, no keeping that man happy

What did he have to say?

What did he have to say?

Not happy about the 90 minutes figures people need more time to enjoy the dining experience. When asked if he moves people along in his restaurants if lied and said no. Wants the social distancing reduces even further. doesn’t think he’ll open aniar cause he can’t fleece irish people the same way he does the yanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Not happy about the 90 minutes figures people need more time to enjoy the dining experience. When asked if he moves people along in his restaurants if lied and said no. Wants the social distancing reduces even further. doesn’t think he’ll open aniar cause he can’t fleece irish people the same way he does the yanks

90 minutes in Cava or Tartare are plenty, but a tasting menu in Aniar will take twice as long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I heard on the radio it may be extended to 2 hours.
    We'll see if that comes to pass.

It's weird how the fancy folks cannot enjoy a meal in 90 mins, they need 120 mins..
    Myself, I enjoy it in 20 mins :D

biko wrote: »
    I heard on the radio it may be extended to 2 hours.
    We'll see if that comes to pass.

It's weird how the fancy folks cannot enjoy a meal in 90 mins, they need 120 mins..
    Myself, I enjoy it in 20 mins :D

Num num num

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

In the Mail today
    Galway chef JP McMahon, culinary director of the EatGalway Restaurant Group, including Michelin-star winning Aniar, Cava Bodega, and Tartare Café and Wine Bar, said: ‘It seems to get more confusing and more bizarre the closer we get to opening. Each new guideline brings more and more questions.

‘I’m delighted it’s one metre, but it’s one metre with conditions. The difficulty is this 90 minutes. Why was 90 minutes chosen? Is there any science behind it? Why not two hours? I thought the idea was to get less people on to the premises.
    Doing seatings every hour and a half creates a very busy restaurant. And I think it’s not fair to customers to ask them to come for less of an experience, unless it’s quite a casual restaurant.’

Mr McMahon said he felt there had been ‘no dialogue with the industry at all’. ‘It feels like these are just orders from above. If two people leave and two people replace them, is that contact? How do you get people out of the restaurant – some aren’t very large?’ he asked.

He also queried what he should do about walk-in customers – turn them away, or book them in on the spot.
    He said that two of his premises were around 60% booked up already. The third, Aniar, will not yet open, partly because its main trade is with American tourists, and partly because meals there are usually savoured for at least three hours.

Advertisement