Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a gaming laptop from Amazon Spain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just be aware that the keyboard would be Spanish layout

edit: sorry it does have a qwerty layout but no operating system

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Thanks for the reply would there be a big difference between UK keyboard?

Jeez Forgot to see that �� Would it be able to install windows 10 on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

coconnellz wrote: »
    Jeez Forgot to see that �� Would it be able to install windows 10 on it?

Yeah but for that price you could get a decent desktop build, if gaming is the intended use.

The users over at PC Building & Upgrading are really helpful if you give them a budget. Personally I'd avoid laptops if gaming is the intended use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah it'll age way worse than a desktop will. For €700 you'd get a desktop that would be twice as fast, and last years longer.

Obviously if you genuinely need a laptop it's a good deal and most games would run well enough. The CPU is weak enough though.

I have that exact same spec in my laptop but with 16GB ram.

For example it's great for COD and Apex Legends - high settings no problem at all, struggles badly with Battlefield though to the point I consider it unplayable though because of the weak CPU.

If the laptop is going to be a primary gaming machine, I would spend a little extra to give some degree of longevity.

Like something like this....though really you'd want 16GB RAM at this stage as well, and be wary of laptops that have ram in single stick configuration - hurts performance.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    Yeah it'll age way worse than a desktop will. For €700 you'd get a desktop that would be twice as fast, and last years longer.

Obviously if you genuinely need a laptop it's a good deal and most games would run well enough. The CPU is weak enough though.

I have that exact same spec in my laptop but with 16GB ram.

For example it's great for COD and Apex Legends - high settings no problem at all, struggles badly with Battlefield though to the point I consider it unplayable though because of the weak CPU.

If the laptop is going to be a primary gaming machine, I would spend a little extra to give some degree of longevity.

Like something like this....though really you'd want 16GB RAM at this stage as well, and be wary of laptops that have ram in single stick configuration - hurts performance.
    that's a nice laptop would 60 refresh rate be enough tho for gaming?

Yeah would need a laptop for work so hit two birds with one stone would that play games good enough?https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7149225/Trail/searchtext%3EGAMING+LAPTOP.htm

Yeah would need a laptop for work so hit two birds with one stone would that play games good enough?https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7149225/Trail/searchtext%3EGAMING+LAPTOP.htm

That's significantly worse than the one I posted above. Though the one I posted is 17" so fairly big. Might not suit for work.

60hz is plenty for gaming. 90% of monitors and TV's are 60hz. I would worry about the core specs before I'd worry about the screen refresh rate to be honest.

What's your budget limit? Can work around that.

Thanks for the info yeah around a thousand Would be the maximum of my budget thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Started off in the right forum, but seems better suited to PC Building & Upgrading. Please note the new Forum charter and stickies.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info yeah around a thousand Would be the maximum of my budget thanks

Don't think you'll do better than this one.

Has the newest Ryzen 4th gen six-core processor and the GTX1650Ti is the latest refresh of the GTX1650 and about 10% faster.

Be good for most new games at high settings at 60fps.

It's fairly big so might not suit for work. If it has to be 15.6" you'll probably have to settle for a less powerful machine.

Could do with upgrading to 16GB ram but you could do that in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

What kind of work do you need the laptop for?

Given your budget and use case. It could be an idea to get a desktop and a light portable laptop for work.

Yeah that good point it's Nothing to heavy going just word PowerPoint and chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

In that case, I'd strongly recommend getting a cheap laptop, something like this: https://www.adverts.ie/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-t430-14-core-i5-8gb-240gb-ssd-laptop/20422296 which can be gotten for around 200 euro. Just make sure it has an Intel iX processor and ideally 8gb and an SSD, will be plenty for your work needs.

Then for the remaining 700 odd eur you can build a Desktop which will have roughly double the performance of the laptop you mentioned and will be upgradeable to last 5+ years.

Advertisement