Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brandy for cooking?

Options
  • 25-05-2020 2:21pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm wondering what type of Brandy people use for cooking? I use brandy in a pepper sauce recipe I have, and it's quite nice. At the moment, I'm using Hennessy, but it's quite expensive, and I'm wondering if there is a cheaper alternative.

Is there such a thing as cooking brandy?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I just buy the cheapest one I can find in Lidl or Aldi to cook with.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,008 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not even sure "cooking sherry" is made anymore and I've never seen cooking brandy - just get the own brand wherever you shop, its almost always "called" Napoleon for some reason! (its a grade, I believe, but you wouldn't generally just sell whisky as '[shop name] 18' or whatever)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L1011 wrote: »
    but you wouldn't generally just sell whisky as '[shop name] 18' or whatever)

I really miss the old tesco labels. They all have names, now, like Nikita vodka. I am pretty sure some are sold at a loss so probably did not want to actually sell any, but just appear in grocery comparison sites as cheap. So they purposely made horrific labels.

DR7OIE7WAAIq6yn.jpg

tesco-value-scotch-whisky-bottles.jpg

The later "everyday" labels just sounded so wrong!

0561c22ec9c424ab6f0c174ace64682b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

L1011 wrote: »
    its almost always "called" Napoleon for some reason! (its a grade, I believe, but you wouldn't generally just sell whisky as '[shop name] 18' or whatever)

Napoleon is a grade, commonly called XO. The own brand stuff is definitely not XO brandy. They are just using a well know historical name - unaware that it's grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,008 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mellor wrote: »
    Napoleon is a grade, commonly called XO. The own brand stuff is definitely not XO brandy. They are just using a well know historical name - unaware that it's grade.

That makes it even worse then - checked and both Aldi and Tesco are using it as the 'brand' name. Lidl is "Majestat".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You can get cooking brandy - it's pre-seasoned so it is sold as a sauce and hence doesn't attract alcohol duty. I've only ever seen it in wholesalers, though.

Musgrave sell cooking wine - red and white, brandy, Madeira, port, sherry, marsalla - you name it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

God I dont think Ive ever used Brandy for cooking. Apart from pepper sauce what would you ue it for, out of curiosity?? I love a galss o neat brandy every now and again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

You can get cooking brandy - it's pre-seasoned so it is sold as a sauce and hence doesn't attract alcohol duty. I've only ever seen it in wholesalers, though.

Musgrave sell cooking wine - red and white, brandy, Madeira, port, sherry, marsalla - you name it.

You can get pre-seasoned cooking brandy through Pallas Click & Collect at the moment €5.55/l
    However the minimum order is €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

snowgal wrote: »
    God I dont think Ive ever used Brandy for cooking. Apart from pepper sauce what would you ue it for, out of curiosity?? I love a galss o neat brandy every now and again...

I always use a splash to deglaze the pan when making stroganoff, so sue me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can get pre-seasoned cooking brandy through Pallas Click & Collect at the moment €5.55/l
    However the minimum order is €30.
    I'm surprised I never heard of this, would have thought I would have heard of winos or young lads getting their hands on it. Would have thought you would need some sort of licence or check to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

snowgal wrote: »

It's probably the most common spirit used in cooking. Common in french cuisine, for obvious reasons.

Sauces, pate, flambe dishes, desserts, deglazing, pate,
    rubadub wrote: »
    I'm surprised I never heard of this, would have thought I would have heard of winos or young lads getting their hands on it. Would have thought you would need some sort of licence or check to get it.

First I heard of it too. A quick search turns up a whiskey too.
    6 euro a litre. The hard up boys would be all over it tbh, no matter how much salt there is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 527 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Yeah I get it through Pallas or if there’s a total produce near you they’ll get it in too. I use it in the cafe where I work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Yeah I get it through Pallas or if there’s a total produce near you they’ll get it in too. I use it in the cafe where I work.

Out of curiosity, how heavily seasoned is this? Saw it when I was putting an order together but didn't order it. I think for domestic use "normal" brandy is better as it is more versatile. Wouldn't want to feed a fruit cake with salty Brandy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Not brandy, but I use xiaoxing wine, which is kind of like sherry, it's Chinese. You can find it in Asian shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Slightly off topic but search on YouTube for Hennessy pizza....:D

Advertisement