Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being redeployed in the public sector...

Options
  • 25-05-2020 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Good afternoon,

I am a public sector admin worker... my role is no longer going to be needed and my manager would like to redeploy me and my colleagues to take patients temperatures and help people put on face masks before they enter the hospital.

A colleague was in touch with their union and they said it's not an admin job so we have to agree we are comfortable with the role before agreeing to do it... My colleagues have advised there may be room to negotiate a higher grade/salary and they are considering going this route before agreeing but I'm not with a union...

Is it too late for me to join the union to get their help with this and would there generally be scope in the public sector to negotiate like this? My main concern is they won't be open to negotiation and will redeploy me to something I'd really hate...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I think you are clutching at straws here OP. You can't negotiate a higher grade or more money unless you are going into a completely new role or having more responsibility - I stand to be corrected by more knowledgeable folk - especially now the public coffers are in dire straits.
    The amount of applications that have been submitted to have their roles re-evaluated is staggering and a lot of them haven't even been looked at yet so I seriously doubt you will jump that queue.

From what I understand its not mandatory and the union has said you don't have to agree to it. So you can simply be asked to do something else which is what they will do if you don't want to do this role.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ask the union to see what they say.

Advertisement