Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planned Gaming Build

Options
  • 25-05-2020 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Any advice on the following planned build would be appreciated. It will be my second self build but the first one was 8 years ago.

In particular, I was going to get the 360 radiator version of the cooler but I thought it might be better to just have a 240 radiator behind the top two front fans and then more air could get from the bottom front fan to the video card. Is this a good idea? I would have three 120LL fans at the top and back for exhaust.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 or maybe the new MSI Tomahawk X570 if it comes out soon.
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (maybe x 2 or else a SATA SSD)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO
    Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair RMi 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wouldn't buy a 2080 Super right now, next-gen cards are due in September.
    Consider buying later and buy from EVGA to avail of their Step-Up program: https://eu.evga.com/support/stepup/

Corsair 500D is meh IMHO and also pointless for an AIO system - it's really more for overkill waterloops or home servers.
    Also it costs nearly €300 - you can get same features for half the price.

CPU: AMD just announced the XT refresh, should be on sale middle of June.

AIO: The Arctic Liquid Freezer II outperforms Corsair in price, silence and performance. It just lacks RGB.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Gx6GYH

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor (£290.95 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£90.43 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (£200.73 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (£92.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£139.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card (£560.29 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case (£139.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£105.25 @ Amazon UK)
    Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST(5-pack) 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans (£32.25 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1652.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-25 18:05 BST+0100

Just my 2 cents.

Also consider the i5-10600K

• Registered Users Posts: 21 patryan2

Thanks for the comments. I'll have a look at your alternative options. I was reading about the next gen graphics cards but it could be October before they become easily available. It never seems the right time to build a PC as there is always something new around the corner.

Just on the case, i'm wondering if you got it mixed up with something else? I wouldn't consider it a home server case. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC-9011139-WW-500D-Obsidian-Tower/dp/B07C46L1D8 . The cost is about €280 but there are three LL220 RGP fans included (about €95) and a Commander PRO Digital Fan and RGB controller (about €70) included. The Meshify has three basic fans which I would probably replace so the cost difference is not a big as it appears. I was also put off by the design. You have to take the whole front panel off to get at the dust filters and all the front panel connector cables are connected to the front panel so could be quite easy to damage - https://overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2019/01/18171200159l.jpg

I'm just giving an example of a decent airflow case.

The 500D has unexceptional temps in tests: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3252-corsair-obsidian-500d-case-review-thermals-noise-build-quality

Maybe take a look at the Fractal Design S2 Vision, Cooler Master H500 Mesh, Phanteks P400A Digital / Enthoo Pro SE?

TBH Corsair fans are not great. You'd get better airflow for quieter from cheapo Arctic P14 than LL220.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Maybe consider a more budget oriented GPU if you want to buy now then upgrade again when the new cards come.

It's just a lot to spend on a high end RTX card when it's ray tracing power bottlenecks the rest of the cards power and has limited support for some features. The latest cards are rumored to have 4 times the ray tracing performance of the previous gen and a better tensor core that can be used more easily.

The next gen 2070 equivalent will probably blow the 2080 super out of the water and be cheaper.

Nvidia cards hold pretty good resale value as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

The case is up to you but personally I wouldn't spend such an amount of a set budget on that case when you can get exceptional cases for a third or half of the price. But, of course, they wouldn't exist if no-one bought them!

I think KOKiki is right about the graphics card. Yes, October's a fair bit away, but the 2080 Super carries a massive premium for not being all that faster than the 2070 Super.....and in 5 months time it could be worth less than half of what you paid.

I would also say that, especially in a case with good airflow, an AIO is totally pointless. In fact, I would argue that in 90% of cases they're useless compared to a decent air cooler. The stock cooler that comes with the 3700X is very good, and if you have great airflow, even better.

And particularly with Ryzen when you're not going to be pushing mad overclocks or anything.

Advertisement