Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topsoil for top-dressing

Options
  • 25-05-2020 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Can top soil on it's own be used for top dressing, or is it vital that it is mixed with sand and if funds permit, peat/compost?

I'll be taking delivering of topsoil soon, not strictly for topdressing, but for raising a section or two of the lawn and covering in some holes after digging out scutch grass. The grass is not performing too well so I want to scarify and aerate. Don't think it's the optimum time of year but I have one window of opportunity due to work commitments.

The topsoil is not screened so I expect to find some stones and larger lumps but I don't mind exhaustive raking to deal with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yes it's actually better. Topsoil is only bulked out with sand/peat etc. to reduce costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Yes it's actually better. Topsoil is only bulked out with sand/peat etc. to reduce costs.

Good to know, thanks. Thought sand was for aiding drainage after aerating but lawn has very good drainage already.

Advertisement