Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move the electricty meter

Options
  • 25-05-2020 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi
    We got told by ESB we need to move the electricity meter as it doesn't meet regulations. It's beside the door inside a cupboard with the fusebox and the gas-line too - not safe.
    We had a sparky out today and he said he'll need to rewire the house to fix it, quoted about 10k
    Is this a 10k job or is there another way out of this situation I havent thought about ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lockdownrescue

Rooster86 wrote: »
    Hi
    We got told by ESB we need to move the electricity meter as it doesn't meet regulations. It's beside the door inside a cupboard with the fusebox and the gas-line too - not safe.
    We had a sparky out today and he said he'll need to rewire the house to fix it, quoted about 10k
    Is this a 10k job or is there another way out of this situation I havent thought about ?
    Thanks

sounds cheap tbh, can you provide more details, rooms electric cooker, shower, heating, no of sockets, lights, outside wiring etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rooster86

sounds cheap tbh, can you provide more details, rooms electric cooker, shower, heating, no of sockets, lights, outside wiring etc.

Thanks for the reply.
    All we want is to move the meter (and fusebox) to make the area safe.
    Does the entire house need to be rewired ?
    Pic attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Maybe getting the gas piping and meter moved would be a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I was in the same situation about 15yrs ago and ended up just moving the gas meter outside the house.
    Bord gais send out an estimator to see how much work is involved..in my case it was 1000 euros as far as i remember.
    But bord gais wont touch the pipes...you will have to get a registered technician to move all the pipes and do the reconnect for you which cost us 600 euros.
    cheaper than getting you whole house rewired.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Rooster86 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    All we want is to move the meter (and fusebox) to make the area safe.
    Does the entire house need to be rewired ?
    Pic attached.

Did the electrician give a reason why he thought the house should be rewired? Is the rest of the wiring in a poor state? If it was done by the same person who done the board then it may be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Doolittle51

Out of interest, how did the ESB get involved?
    The fuseboard is in very poor condition and unsafe in it's own right. Unused slots aren't blanked off etc.

Would be a good idea to remove the old towels that are stuffed in the side of the cupboard. Bit of a fire hazard.

I'd be more concerned about the gas than the towels.
    I'd be moving the (new)consumer unit without rewiring the house ,but I'd be looking at a rewire also.
    The biggest pain in the hole for a rewire is the repair work to the walls and ceilings.

What sort of a wall is that op? Internal ,external ,solid etc?

I'd guess deviding wall terrace house.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Out of interest, how did the ESB get involved?

They probably came to install a digital meter and decided not to. If they did, they couldn't then claim that it was in an unsafe location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I'd be more concerned about the gas than the towels.
    I'd be moving the (new)consumer unit without rewiring the house ,but I'd be looking at a rewire also.
    The biggest pain in the hole for a rewire is the repair work to the walls and ceilings.

What sort of a wall is that op? Internal ,external ,solid etc?

I'd guess deviding wall terrace house.

If the black and red wire below the phone is anything to go by I can see why an electrician would not want just move the fuse board and sign it off. A rewire is probably going to be needed I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

I would 100% want that gas meter out of the house if you can just move it to the other side of the wall it might not cost much to move.

If the red and black cables are pvc and in good condition then they don't necessarily need to be changed. But your earth and bonding is probably a joke. and a house that age is probably full of junction boxes and spurs and all manner of hidden horrors under floor boards etc. which is why an electrician might not want to touch it without rewiring it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Retro.

I would 100% want that gas meter out of the house if you can just move it to the other side of the wall it might not cost much to move.

If the red and black cables are pvc and in good condition then they don't necessarily need to be changed. But your earth and bonding is probably a joke. and a house that age is probably full of junction boxes and spurs and all manner of hidden horrors under floor boards etc. which is why an electrician might not want to touch it without rewiring it.

Would agree with this

ET101 has a section on moving the distribution board, I presume it's still allowed to move them without rewiring if the installation is in good nick?

Gas meter or appliance is a minimum 400mm from a distribution board, from et101

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rooster86

Retro. wrote: »
    Would agree with this

ET101 has a section on moving the distribution board, I presume it's still allowed to move them without rewiring if the installation is in good nick?

Gas meter or appliance is a minimum 400mm from a distribution board, from et101

Thanks for replies all
    We're getting the gas meter moved outside and then we're leaving the electricity meter where it is but we are getting a new fuseboard and some rewiring to get certified. It's setting us back a few 000' but worth it to make it safe and certified.

Advertisement