Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar setup for Floodlight

Options
  • 25-05-2020 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to install a couple of LED floodlights for a relative in some sheds. Basically he wants to have a yard in front of a shed illuminated during darkness (although I'd expect that activation with a PIR would be acceptable).

There are currently 50W LED floodlights in place running off a generator. However, the issue with this is that when arriving at night there is no illumination to access the shed until you are inside and the generator turned on.

Originally I had planned to use something like these which can be permanently on with low light, increasing to full illumination when the sensor is triggered. I have used these before and they are reasonably good for their price - although in the depths of winter they do run out of power:
    (MPOW 54 LED Security Light)
    Mpow-54-LED-Solar-Powered-Lights-Outdoor-Waterproof.jpg

However, the owner also wants security cameras installed. So, I was thinking if it would be better to create a battery bank trickle charged off a solar panel using some deep cycle car batteries. I would also put a battery charger across them too so that when the generator is going, it can top them up too.
    I could then link a PIR to each of the pre-existing 50W LED floodlights and power them from the battery bank.

In regards to the security cameras, I've not given them an awful lot of thought as yet - maybe something like the Reolink Go PT - which is either powered by a rechargeable battery or solar powered - it can be powered by a 5V/2A supply according to the spec. Although I think the shed would require 2 - 3 cameras of sufficient coverage - so not sure how that could be done remotely and only require a single sim card.

Is this a viable plan or should I separate out both?

Comments

SZI7bUr.jpg

Think bigger.
    Put big panels in the sunlight. Run off a single large battery. Use a charge controller with lighting controls.
    If you can keep every appliance operating at or near the battery native voltage instead of an unnecessary inverter your efficiency will be very high.

Advertisement