Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

0-7-30 or 0-10-20 fertiliser

Options
  • 25-05-2020 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Can I apply these to the lawn now? I have great growth but grass isn’t particularly green. Would it work this time of year. Don’t want growth so no nitrogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

If it's not particularly green then you want nitrogen!
    Those combinations are only for fruit and flowers, you want a high nitrogen/ phosphorus low potassium mix for a lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

7-6-17 is the one you want

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Thanks - would that cause a lot of growth. Could I spread it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Pious14 wrote: »

I give up

No only a small bit of growth but it will be green as a Heineken bottle.cut it short and spread it evenly by hand or spreader whatever you have.
    I did mine 3 weeks ago and it’s green as you can get now and I’m only cutting it as normal weekly.
    Cut it short spread it and leave the grass a week and a half to 2 weeks before cutting again and cut it higher on the next cuts.
    Now is fine for spreading and hopefully a small dash of rain after but there’s enough of a dew anyway once it doesn’t get severe drought you’ll be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Typically lawns get a N feed in spring and a 0’s feed as above in autumn.

If you are applying fert the “little and often” policy is best.

If you just want to green rather than anything iron sulphate is cheap and will green it quickly, maybe 1gram per sq meter watered on. Water it again in a few days of no rain comes. Keep it away from concrete and tarmac.

No only a small bit of growth but it will be green as a Heineken bottle.cut it short and spread it evenly by hand or spreader whatever you have.
    I did mine 3 weeks ago and it’s green as you can get now and I’m only cutting it as normal weekly.
    Cut it short spread it and leave the grass a week and a half to 2 weeks before cutting again and cut it higher on the next cuts.
    Now is fine for spreading and hopefully a small dash of rain after but there’s enough of a dew anyway once it doesn’t get severe drought you’ll be fine

Thanks very much, that’s extremely helpful appreciate it

Thanks very much, that’s extremely helpful appreciate it

Meant to say it’s 26€ a bag in my local coop. I do just spread it by hand out of a bucket then.best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I used Xtend 24-4-4 on my place and its like Wimbledon now .
    Its a slow release fertiliser ,feeds over 3 months.
    It does make the grass grow though ,but it needs to be cut every 5 days .
    I'm thinking something with a lower nitrogen concentration might be better .
    I used 7-6-17 in the past but its a fast release fertiliser so the effects dont last long .
    It is good stuff though .

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

Zardoz wrote: »
    I used Xtend 24-4-4 on my place and its like Wimbledon now .
    Its a slow release fertiliser ,feeds over 3 months.
    It does make the grass grow though ,but it needs to be cut every 5 days .
    I'm thinking something with a lower nitrogen concentration might be better .
    I used 7-6-17 in the past but its a fast release fertiliser so the effects dont last long .
    It is good stuff though .

where did you get the Xtend 24-4-4. struglingto find it

thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Zardoz

where did you get the Xtend 24-4-4. struglingto find it

thanks in advance

I get it off Cropcare.ie ,they have alot of fertilisers.
    They ship it to me via Fastway ,delivery is ~15 euro so I order 2 years supply at a time.
    Its ~40 euro for a 25kg bag but that will do 1000 square metres.
    I ring them to order.
    http://cropcare.ie/contact-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Would you not use Evergreen 4in1? Thats slow release 14-2-4, is a 7 day cutting cycle and also helps with the weeds. I feed once a year (3 weeks ago for me) and my lawn is in great condition with it.

This photo was about 8 days after I spread it so manageable growth and was very yellow/brown prior to the feed.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113474089&postcount=329

Is it too dry to spread fertiliser now? Would I have to wait for rain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

_Brian wrote: »
    Typically lawns get a N feed in spring and a 0’s feed as above in autumn.

If you are applying fert the “little and often” policy is best.

If you just want to green rather than anything iron sulphate is cheap and will green it quickly, maybe 1gram per sq meter watered on. Water it again in a few days of no rain comes. Keep it away from concrete and tarmac.

+1 on the Iron Sulphate very cheap to buy a lifetimes supply in the local co-op.

It has the advantage of greening the grass and killing moss. But you can do some damage if you apply to much. Application rate is max 5g to the square meter (https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2012/lawn_weed_control_factsheet_2015.pdf bottom of page). So best applied as a spray dissolved in water or you can make your own lawn sand up and apply with a wheeled spreader.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

Zardoz wrote: »
    I get it off Cropcare.ie ,they have alot of fertilisers.
    They ship it to me via Fastway ,delivery is ~15 euro so I order 2 years supply at a time.
    Its ~40 euro for a 25kg bag but that will do 1000 square metres.
    I ring them to order.
    http://cropcare.ie/contact-us/

what setting on a spreader would you use. ordered it but no spreader setting on it.
    thanks again for the heads up

You would need to calibrate the spreader. Test an area outside main part of about 3 square meters on a particular setting with say 1kg of fertiliser. See how many grammes are used in this 3 square meter and divide by 3. Keep experimenting until you get the desired grammes per square meter. Better scientific ways I am sure but this works for me.

I have never had a problem with dry weather and am looking to spread fertiliser. Should I wait for a drop of rain?

For those wondering, I used 7-6-17 on Saturday and with the rain and everything it’s after making my lawn the best condition it’s ever been in. Really green. Worked for me. I spread at 15/20 g per sq meter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I spread 8 6 12 mixed with granular lime

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Ros1234

I spread 8 6 12 mixed with granular lime
    Do you have any clover in your lawn?
    I'm afraid to spread lime on my lawn in case the clover dies back, some areas of my lawn (1 acre site minus house n drive) look better with the clover.
    I spread 7 6 17 usually in April, early June (rain permitting) and early August. Mulch all lawns and slowly they're improving. Lawn was set 3 years ago. I've still got to spot spray the scutch grass this year, I hate the sight of the thing!

Advertisement