Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harmony Test

Options
  • 25-05-2020 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

What are the pros/cons of having the Harmony test?

Sorry to be blunt, but at 12+ weeks there's nothing can be done anyway?
    (That's what the doctor told me 13yrs ago with my first son, so what has changed now?)

If the same results can be seen at the 20wk anomaly scan what are the benefits of the early test?

We're pretty sure we're not going to have it, we feel the cost could be better spent elsewhere, but the midwife mentioned it today so I'd like to be sure I'm not missing something before I decide to refuse it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

It can actually be done from 10 weeks, and results take about a week. After 12 weeks I understand a pregnancy can be terminated for fatal abnormalities and the harmony tests for a few syndrome including Edwards syndrome which 95% of pregnancies don’t have a live birth and the ones that do often pass away early, so I would assume with Edwards syndrome one could terminate here after the 12 weeks.

I’ve had the test on all mine- my pros:
    1) I find it good peace of mind and you can find out the gender early, which is just a nice little bonus!!
    2) I find the big scan a bit scary so it’s nice to have this done, finding out about a FFA at 20plus weeks would be worse I assume, although it only checks certain things so it’s not a clean bill of health before that scan anyway.
    3) extra time if there is a problem

My cons:
    1) the cost

It was mentioned to me first time on my third pregnancy as I’m almost 35, if you’re over 35 that’s probably why it was mentioned. (Also We didn’t have it 13 years ago when you had your first) The pros and cons above are “my” pros and cons - I’m sure other people have different reasons. It is somewhat controversial so there are also ethical considerations that may influence an individuals decision to choose or not choose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Also Downs can often go undetected at the 20 week scan. Can't remember the percentage but think it's about 30 per cent of cases are not picked up on the scan.
    I didn't have it for my first two when I was 35 and 38 but did on this pregnancy as I just turned 40 and the stats become a little scary then.
    I had it at almost 12 weeks and I wanted to know about FFA mostly but also Downs in order to be best prepared.
    It's not for everyone and if you don't feel you want to get it absolutely don't. It's also costly and I found waiting for the results quite nerve wracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

I also got it on this pregnancy. Midwife suggested it as I'm 36. Didn't have it on my first at 34 though. I guess it's the preparedness/peace of mind it gives that spurned me to get it in the end, but I did seriously think it through. Added pro is you can find out the gender with 99% certainty. This suited my husband and I who both have no patience to find out :D

Cost-wise, it is pricey. If you have health insurance, check with your provider as some reimburse you for partial costs. Think I got around 50% back through VHI but it depends on your plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I don’t know the statistics but I think NIPT tests have a much higher accuracy of picking up certain conditions like trisomy 21.

I got the panorama test done myself I am 35 and it was well worth the money for peace of mind. You can claim it back on your health insurance and your tax.
    The 20 week scans have been reduced down now to 15 minutes anyway with Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I chose not to have it done this time. I felt it wouldn’t change the course of action I would take with the pregnancy. While I considered it giving time to be prepared if there was an issue, I also didn’t want to spend an additional couple of months Potentially worrying about the pregnancy. It’s very much a case of to each their own though. I can totally see how some would find it reassuring .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Thanks everyone for the feedback and info. We have decided not to have the test this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

How much does this test typically cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

How much does this test typically cost?

I paid €450 for the panorama but you can get it done slightly cheaper. It includes a scan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Was told it was €580 in Galway but my consultant only charged me €380 as I am attending him. Seems to vary a lot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I had it offered on my third in 2017, as it didn't exist on the previous 2 either.I didn't take it, I just felt there was nothing that would have changed my mind anyway.Also at the time, the yes vote hadn't happened, and no matter what I got back as a result, I couldn't do anything about, even if I wanted to.(my personal choice by the way, I would never, ever judge anyone for the decisions they make based on those test results, but I was sure about how I felt).Cost was not an issue for us.

I gather it is more accurate in picking up genetic issues than the 20 week scan, and I suppose if you were to go down the route of terminating, some people feel better doing it earlier (again-personal choice), but I think that is about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I had it on my third pregnancy in Holles Street. I knew I wanted it before my first appointment due to age and the fact I was fairly sure if there was a high risk of certain syndromes we'd like to terminate asap.

I got a high risk result for one syndrome and had to wait to have amniocentesis. This was pretty stressful but thankfully all was ok. There wasn't an extra charge for this and my consultant did it herself.

Would highly recommend for peace of mind. It sucks that you'd still have to travel but we wanted to know either way so we could make an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

cant26 wrote: »
    Was told it was €580 in Galway but my consultant only charged me €380 as I am attending him. Seems to vary a lot.

We got charged €480 in Galway.

Chose to get it done for a bit of reassurance and knowing the sex of the baby at 11 weeks was a nice bonus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

cooperguy wrote: »
    We got charged €480 in Galway.

Chose to get it done for a bit of reassurance and knowing the sex of the baby at 11 weeks was a nice bonus :)

I paid €650 in Galway in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

Hi All

Just wanted to rise this topic again.

I am just trying to make sense of doing this test in the first place. We all use this test just to calm our nerves and expecting the good outcome. But can someone please outline the steps to be taken in a worst case scenario. Would you actually have time to terminate the pregnancy ( providing that it's your personal choice) if something shown wrong within the test? Also abortions are fairly new thing in Ireland. Is this something that i safe to do in country with limited experience?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I believe you can abort past 12 weeks but it has to have a number of medical opinions and further tests - you wouldn't do anything based on just the result of one Harmony test.It is considered exceptional circumstances, past 12 weeks, and I am sure if you check the HSE site you will find further info.

I think what it can help with is identifying potential problems a baby might have so assistance is there straight from birth if needed.

I'll be honest, Harmony test wasn't a thing when I had 2014 and 2016 babies.It was in 2017, for my third, but I couldn't have done anything regardless of the result, as you couldn't abort, (even if I had wanted to, which I admit I didn't) so I didn't bother with it.The 20 weeks scan was the best we had to work with. It is really up to you, it isn't a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rose_2

Bumping this thread, hoping for advice on the topic!

Do people book the test themselves or based off consultant referral/advice?

I’m seriously considering booking this test, and I’d like to have it done as early as possible (I believe around 10wks), in the event difficult decisions have to be made, as others have commented.

my booking appt is not until week 12, so I would have thought waiting until after that appointment would be a little late?

in that case do I just go ahead and book test myself separately?

thanks in advance!

Advertisement