Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this tree?

Options
  • 25-05-2020 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Grows from suckers. Hard to know what sort of tree it makes, I found it in a spot that has been damaged by forestry machinery and there wasn't much left standing.
    EDIT: Quaking Aspen!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Lime?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

rje66 wrote: »
    Lime?

Fair guess, but I don't think so. I have lime trees and the leaves on them are much more substantial. These mystery leaves feel very soft and almost fragile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Is it a type of birch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Populus tremula...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Long time since I've seen one. Used to have a 60ft specimen in "my" garden in the UK but lost it in the 87 storm. Planted a couple since because they are supposed to have a degree of salt tolerance but didn't have any luck with them.

Always remember the mess the big one used to create when all the catkins dropped.

• Advertisement

rje66 wrote: »
    Populus tremula...

That's it! Well done and thanks a million.
    I have seven acres that I'm planting with broadleaf trees and I think I can find room for a few of these. I'll take cuttings and see what happens.

That's it! Well done and thanks a million.
    I have seven acres that I'm planting with broadleaf trees and I think I can find room for a few of these. I'll take cuttings and see what happens.

Should grow OK from cutting a lot of poplars and willows do.

Can also be propagated from root suckers so if you see a big one look around for a few suckers to dig up. Best if you sever the roots on the tree side a few months before digging the suckers up.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Should grow OK from cutting a lot of poplars and willows do.

Can also be propagated from root suckers so if you see a big one look around for a few suckers to dig up. Best if you sever the roots on the tree side a few months before digging the suckers up.

It's late in the year but I'll try cuttings anyway and make plans to collect suckers next spring.
    Thanks, that's useful advice about cutting the roots on the tree side.

Its only a little late for cuttings still worth a try if you have the right sort of material.

It suckers so well that you don't actually need any suckers and can just dig up a section of root and use them for propagation, if you can do that now its not too late. To save me waffling on about how to do I I found this online https://treesforlife.org.uk/docs/079_485__growyourownaspenfinalpdfwebsize_1520856688.pdf

Advertisement