Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

I believe they're possible.
    I've no proof but there's a place I know of which is peppered with leylines and energy fields.
    Within the land there's a lot of different metals and minerals, whether these things resonate some kind of reaction to my brain or not it's to be investigated.

But have any of you ever heard of a rake ???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I am switching that back to you. I am entitled to not believe ( check out the thread title ). There is no rule against ridiculing fantasist nonsense either. So apols for being a spanner in your delusion.

One of my favourite movies btw, I loved the concept. The only thing is that the movie Aliens are always reaching out, as opposed to the subtle, shy and reclusive types that visit these days.

Ba ba ba boh booooohhhh.
    De de de duh duuuuuhhhh

Ridicule was actually a specific technique that has been employed widely by certain parties who had a vested interest in supressing UFO knowledge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

to be fair determining the speed of an object when you do not know how far away, or what size it is, is pretty impressive.

Or a subjective guess?

iagreebut wrote: »
    But have any of you ever heard of a rake ???

Sure

614617_p01.jpg

Rakes remind me of old style broom sticks, like the wicked witch of the East used to get around on.

Wizard-of-Oz-w08+witch+on+broomstick.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Or a subjective guess?

I was agreeing with you. To suggest that a reasonable estimation of the speed of an unknown object can be made is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

another great ufo incident, underwater this time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shag_Harbour_UFO_incident

I was agreeing with you. To suggest that a reasonable estimation of the speed of an unknown object can be made is nonsense.

The Czech Air Force should carry these as standard in their helicopter fleet going forward.

speed-gun-with-camera-500x500.jpg

If they had one in 1987 this shambles might never had happened. Very sloppy.

i know its the obvious one, but the Roswell case, why would the military have said first the captured a flying saucer and then retract the story the very next day.....

bangkok wrote: »
    i know its the obvious one, but the Roswell case, why would the military have said first the captured a flying saucer and then retract the story the very next day.....

Because the Roswell story was invented by the CIA to cover up Nuclear weapons testing in Area 51.

Even I know that.

Because the Roswell story was invented by the CIA to cover up Nuclear weapons testing in Area 51.

Even I know that.

lol, looks like you have done very little research on the subject so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

How can a pilot measure that speed from inside a Helicopter?

How come no sonic boom was recorded?

From the article:

On their own initiative, our pilots played around with calculations and, by establishing distances at particular times, estimated that the speed of the unknown target ranged from 60 to 2,700 km/h [37 to 1,678 miles per hour].

I would think if they had a chat with the radar operator it would be easy to get an estimate.

lol, looks like you have done very little research on the subject so

I lived in Southern California in the 90's. The dog on the street knew the truth. Area 51 is a military no fly zone which was fenced off from the general public during the Manhattan project. The general argument is that Groom Lake is a crater formed during a controlled nuclear explosion.

The CIA and the US army are comfortable with all the UFO rumours because it distracts from the reality that the entire area is uninhabitable and highly radioactive.

There was no satellite tech to send images up until the shuttle program was introduced. So all that happened was if you went snooping around you found yourself in front of a large fence in the middle of a hostile desert.

From the article:

On their own initiative, our pilots played around with calculations and, by establishing distances at particular times, estimated that the speed of the unknown target ranged from 60 to 2,700 km/h [37 to 1,678 miles per hour].

I would think if they had a chat with the radar operator it would be easy to get an estimate.

Surely the radar operator would have recorded such a conversation happening, or even a directive from a Helicopter pilot in his/her daily operational logbook?

I think if I got a special request to establish the speed of a large UFO, travelling at more than twice the speed of sound... I might get around to registering such a request? It seems pertinent.

I lived in Southern California in the 90's. The dog on the street knew the truth. Area 51 is a military no fly zone which was fenced off from the general public during the Manhattan project. The general argument is that Groom Lake is a crater formed during a controlled nuclear explosion.

The CIA and the US army are comfortable with all the UFO rumours because it distracts from the reality that the entire area is uninhabitable and highly radioactive.

There was no satellite tech to send images up until the shuttle program was introduced. So all that happened was if you went snooping around you found yourself in front of a large fence in the middle of a hostile desert.

and yet there are hundreds of workers flying in and out of their daily? that doesnt even make sense

and yet there are hundreds of workers flying in and out of their daily? that doesnt even make sense

Sorry but, at least stick to facts.

There is no point trying to disprove one lie by trying to disprove another?

I am sure that Area 51 is not quite as radioactive as the 40's and 50's. But the UFO capture certainly helped as a welcome distraction as to what was really going on there. The Manhattan project winded down slightly ( albeit the US Dept of Defense both restructured and refocused their nuclear program ), it was decided to continue using the area for advanced prototype development. The Russians had developed their own satellite tech, they need to negate this particular issue. They needed a private area that was only admissible by senior Dept of Defense employees.

The flying saucer story is the subject of much derision and amongst employees of both the US Air Force and other NASA employees I have been lucky enough to meet. They snigger and the joke only goes so far.

Sorry but, at least stick to facts.

There is no point trying to disprove one lie by trying to disprove another?

I am sure that Area 51 is not quite as radioactive as the 40's and 50's. But the UFO capture certainly helped as a welcome distraction as to what was really going on there. The Manhattan project winded down slightly ( albeit the US Dept of Defense both restructured and refocused their nuclear program ), it was decided to continue using the area for advanced prototype development. The Russians had developed their own satellite tech, they need to negate this particular issue. They needed a private area that was only admissible by senior Dept of Defense employees.

The flying saucer story is the subject of much derision and amongst employees of both the US Air Force and other NASA employees I have been lucky enough to meet. They snigger and the joke only goes so far.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

The Nal wrote: »
    The universe is so big its almost impossible for there not to be life.

The problem is the time it takes to travel. The nearest planet to us which is capable of supporting life is anywhere from 4 to 13 light years away. Thats a minimum of traveling 4 years at the speed of light to get here. Not sure how these aliens could sustain that trip. Even if they could travel at light speed. Food, fuel, health etc. Just can't see it.

This is a very common misconception and at the core of the theory of relativity.

The four years passed are for outsiders.
    But when YOU travel at the speed of light you arrive instantly at the place you wanted to go to.
    Literally no time has elapsed .

The catch is that travelling at the speed of light takes infinite energy. Best to travel a bit slower then and get there in a few second or minutes but not instantly right . ðŸ˜.

maninasia wrote: »
    This is a very common misconception and at the core of the theory of relativity.

The four years passed are for outsiders.
    But when YOU travel at the speed of light you arrive instantly at the place you wanted to go to.
    Literally no time has elapsed .

The catch is that travelling at the speed of light takes infinite energy. Best to travel a bit slower then and get there in a few second or minutes but not instantly right . ðŸ˜.

what if where you wanted to go was 200 light years away??

Strazdas wrote: »
    Problem with the UFO theories is that any advanced civilisation would be so far ahead of us that they would surely have the technology to make themselves invisible. We think of aliens in too lateral terms and as if they would have the same levels of intelligence as us : if they could travel across galaxies at speed (or send remote controlled vehicles here), they would be way ahead of humans in intelligence.

They definitely will have technology that is almost equivalent to magic for us now. But it will be based on the known laws of physics probably with a few we haven't cracked yet.
    The thing about technology though.is that it is never perfect. Things break and that's a natural law.of the universe, the tendency to disorder. Meaning that a complex machine needs power to function, working parts . Sometimes things will break..

Not all intelligent entities will be aligned in what they want to achieve either . There'll be competition, wars, disagreements. That doesn't disappear just because you are 'advanced'.

• Advertisement

what if where you wanted to go was 200 light years away??

You can anywhere instantly in the universe , when you travel at the speed of light distance is shrunk to zero.
    As.i mentioned this takes infinite energy so it's just a theoretical construct.

That's why scientists instead talk about a fraction of the speed of light. But you would be talking about solar system and galaxy levels of power going up to 99.9% plus if I recall correctly. Depends how much mass you need to accelerate. E ≠MC2.
    So the energy needed for further acceleration increases not linearily but at a square.

You can anywhere instantly in the universe , when you travel at the speed of light distance is shrunk to zero.
    As.i mentioned this takes infinite energy so it's just a theoretical construct.

That's why scientists instead talk about a fraction of the speed of light. But you re talking about solar system and galaxy levels of power going up to 90% plus if I recall correctly.

think you are wrong there, travelling at the speed of light is 670,616,629 mph

what if where you are going is 200 million light years away? you dont arrive there instantly

what if where you are going is 200 million light years away? you dont arrive there instantly

I'm not wrong.
    Check any physics book.
    Understand the difference between the person 'travelling' and the person 'observing'.

Alternatively you may read through story of Tir Na Nog to get an idea.

I'm not wrong.
    Check any physics book.
    Understand the difference between the person 'travelling' and the person 'observing'.

Alternatively you may read through story of Tir Na Nog to get an idea.

fair enough, you seem to know more about it than me...

just a quick question, a little off topic, it take sunlight 8 mins to reach the earth, so if the sun exploded right now we wouldnt see it for another 8 mins, does the sunlight not travel at the speed of light??

Surely a UFO travelling at 670,616,629 mph within the vicinity of our solar system and general intergalactic location would have significant effect on things on Earth?

If a truck drives by me on the road at 60mphs it causes a temporary disruption of my immediate atmosphere. A minor wind gusts for starters, never mind the dust.

I would assume UFO's faffing around our solar system at the speed of light would leave some sort of burnt energy trail or disruption of the surrounding space? Even movement or visual distortion upon entry?

Unless of course they are using the modern cloaking devices which the Romulans or Cling Ons use?

Surely a UFO travelling at 670,616,629 mph within the vicinity of our solar system and general intergalactic location would have significant effect on things on Earth?

If a truck drives by me on the road at 60mphs it causes a temporary disruption of my immediate atmosphere. A minor wind gusts for starters, never mind the dust.

I would assume UFO's faffing around our solar system at the speed of light would leave some sort of burnt energy trail or disruption of the surrounding space? Even movement or visual distortion upon entry?

Unless of course they are using the modern cloaking devices which the Romulans or Cling Ons use?

no atmosphere in space, so there is your theory out the window straight away

• Advertisement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendlesham_Forest_incident

probably the most famous UFO case in the UK and up there with the best of all time

probably the most famous UFO case in the UK and up there with the best of all time

More than likely a drone or a covert military exercise being carried out by either NATO forces or even the Russian Airforce.

It might even have been an exercise within the RAF to see how their defense systems respond to an unexplained event.

Or even a fireball or the local Lighthouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

I'm not wrong.
    Check any physics book.

Alternatively, you may read through story of Tir Na Nog to get an idea.

Or you could listen to 'A Spaceman Came Travelling' by Chris de Burgh which includes the cryptic couplet: ''A bright light of silver shone round his head
    And he had the face of an angel, and they were afraid''

the story of the UFO landing in the school in Zimbabwe is a fascinating one as well, to have so many children see the same thing as well, very interesting

another great ufo incident, underwater this time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shag_Harbour_UFO_incident

Shag Harbour UFO incident

That incident has already been explained.

It was the Lock Ness monster migrating to cooler waters in order to avoid the scorching-hot Scottish summer.
    The Canadian equivalent of 'The Sun' newspaper summed up the incident with the pithy front-page headline: ''Nessy comes to Canada for a shag!''

• Advertisement

the story of the UFO landing in the school in Zimbabwe is a fascinating one as well, to have so many children see the same thing as well, very interesting

That wasn't a UFO you silly moo; it was a large paper aeroplane that one of the kids was throwing around the classroom.
    It was quite a warm day, so the teacher had left the door open, what do you know, the paper aeroplane glided straight out and landed in the playground where a crowd of bemused children quickly gathered to point at the strange-looking object.
    ''It might be a UFO'' said one.

''Why, I think you're right'' replied his pal.

''Take the rest of the week off'' the teacher barked, ''while we investigate this curious phenomenon''.

And that's what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Isn’t there conflicting reports? One person claims they saw aliens hovering outside the craft. It’s a great example of modern UFOology, there’s way too much sh1te to parse through.

Isn’t there conflicting reports? One person claims they saw aliens hovering outside the craft. It’s a great example of modern UFOology, there’s way too much sh1te to parse through.

None of the guards said they saw an alien although they did see the craft land

COVID wrote: »
    Shag Harbour UFO incident

That incident has already been explained.

It was the Lock Ness monster migrating to cooler waters in order to avoid the scorching-hot Scottish summer.
    The Canadian equivalent of 'The Sun' newspaper summed up the incident with the pithy front-page headline: ''Nessy comes to Canada for a shag!''

Yawn....

Are you afraid of the truth and this is some tactic to make you feel better??

Yawn....

I'm afraid, I'm very afraid.

Yawn....

Why has there never been any attempt to speak or communicate with anyone... at all?

I mean I would imagine that with all the UFO activity that one of the Aliens must have gotten curious and tried to eat someone or talk to them or maybe even worse?

No communication whatsoever?

This planet sends out daily attempts at intergalactic communication, how come no other planets are trying to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

More than likely a drone or a covert military exercise being carried out by either NATO forces or even the Russian Airforce.

It might even have been an exercise within the RAF to see how their defense systems respond to an unexplained event.

Or even a fireball or the local Lighthouse?

I didnt realise drones gave you information via Binary code when you touched them.

Lighthouse was debunked, too far away, these are trained airmen you are talking about.

It was called RAF Woodbridge but the RAF were not Stationed there, it was very much as USAFE base, works the same way today with RAF Lakenheath & RAF Mildenhall, both have RAF names but are operated by the USAFE.

Psychlops wrote: »
    I didnt realise drones gave you information via Binary code when you touched them.

Lighthouse was debunked, too far away, these are trained airmen you are talking about.

It was called RAF Woodbridge but the RAF were not Stationed there, it was very much as USAFE base, works the same way today with RAF Lakenheath & RAF Mildenhall, both have RAF names but are operated by the USAFE.

All I can say is:

With your mind you have ability to form
    And transmit thought energy far beyond the norm
    So close your eyes, and concentrate
    Together, that's the way
    To send the message we declare World Contact Day

Psychlops wrote: »

Probably a fireball then.

How come there is no images of it at all?

A fireball that could manovre through the trees, land and take off again, that loads of credible eye witnesses seen... please

• Advertisement

A fireball that could manovre through the trees, land and take off again, that loads of credible eye witnesses seen... please

It was probably just the second coming...and nobody witnessed it...damn and blast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

No images but it was documented by the actual base Commander himself on Audio, you also need to remember this base secretly housed Nuclear Weapons. There is no way in hell it was the Russians, do you actually believe they would get that close to serious world ending weaponry & the US/UK/Europe/NATO would be ok with it? Please.

It was probably just the second coming...and nobody witnessed it...damn and blast!

Whats with the childish replies? Its a serious discussion that goes all the way to the very top of every high powered government in the world

Ok, more likely some sort of prototype drone then, with a flood light.

Any images floating around?

Whats with the childish replies? Its a serious discussion that goes all the way to the very top of every high powered government in the world

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that.
    I'm going to watch Chelsea v Newcastle on the telly now....over and out!

https://youtu.be/MAAHgAuti84

Regan speech to UN

Ok, more likely some sort of prototype drone then, with a flood light.

Any images floating around?

Any videos of a plane flying into the pentagon One of the most secret buildings in the US??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

This is a really interesting interview between professional sceptic Mick West and Kevin Day, radar operator on the Nimitz. The Nimitz incident involved 6 pilots chasing a "UFO" until the object accelerated away from them at speeds not attainable by anything we have on earth.

These videos, released by the Pentagon detail footage of the UFO shot by the pilots using FLIR images. The Pentagon later confirmed that these videos showed unexplained phenomenon.

Here's a video detailing the radar operator's testimony about what happened. The most interesting thing here is his observation that the the object he tracked dropped from 28,000 feet to just above the surface of the water in 0.7 seconds. That's around 20k miles an hour

This video was interview because he's a trained technician talking with expertise about the characteristics of the phenomenon he observed. Mick West, like a huge amount of sceptics actually hold back science by ridiculing anyone describing unexplained phenomenon. Speaking as a scientist I can name countless incidents where sceptics actually held back science using ridicule.

Scientific American weighed in on the topic of UFOs detailing the effect that sceptics have on this worthy area of study.
    As scientists we must simply let scientific curiosity be the spearhead of understanding such phenomena. We should be cautious of outright dismissal by assuming that every UAP phenomena must be explainable.

This is the sort of thing that Scientific American warned against. A lot of sceptics exhibit a barely disguised scientific illiteracy trying to ridicule areas out of their intellectual comfort zone.

• Advertisement

Please define potential sources of the fireball? Could you also provide a scientific term in place of "fireball". It's meaningless.

Advertisement