Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

steddyeddy wrote: »
    This is a really interesting interview between professional sceptic Mick West and Kevin Day, radar operator on the Nimitz. The Nimitz incident involved 6 pilots chasing a "UFO" until the object accelerated away from them at speeds not attainable by anything we have on earth.

These videos, released by the Pentagon detail footage of the UFO shot by the pilots using FLIR images. The Pentagon later confirmed that these videos showed unexplained phenomenon.

Here's a video detailing the radar operator's testimony about what happened. The most interesting thing here is his observation that the the object he tracked dropped from 28,000 feet to just above the surface of the water in 0.7 seconds. That's around 20k miles an hour

This video was interview because he's a trained technician talking with expertise about the characteristics of the phenomenon he observed. Mick West, like a huge amount of sceptics actually hold back science by ridiculing anyone describing unexplained phenomenon. Speaking as a scientist I can name countless incidents where sceptics actually held back science using ridicule.

Scientific American weighed in on the topic of UFOs detailing the effect that sceptics have on this worthy area of study.

Great post,see a lot of ridicule that you are talking about here as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Please define potential sources of the fireball? Could you also provide a scientific term in place of "fireball". It's meaningless.

Like a small meteorite that enters our atmosphere and explodes and leaves a smoke trail.

There is new evidence of these on dash cams and mobiles. Which makes complete sense, with the creation of this tech there is much more likelihood of proper video evidence of UFO's and flying saucers.

All we need now is for someone to properly video one?

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Like a small meteorite that enters our atmosphere and explodes and leaves a smoke trail.

There is new evidence of these on dash cams and mobiles. Which makes complete sense, with the creation of this tech there is much more likelihood of proper video evidence of UFO's and flying saucers.

A small meteorite that goes through trees, lands and takes off again? Must be some magic fireball

Also was the pentagon video not good enough for you??

bangkok wrote: »
    A small meteorite that goes through trees, lands and takes off again? Must be some magic fireball

Also was the pentagon video not good enough for you??

Yeah it must have been a Soviet drone so?

We both know that there is no such things as UFO's or Flying Saucers, so at least we can rule that misnomer out.

I would say either a UK drone being used during an exercise for US Navy Seals or something similar. Or obviously a Russian drone of some sort?

I mean all the tech was available at the time. Drones are essentially remote controlled, it makes the most sense.

Why does all this crap go down near military bases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Captured on FLIR video by 6 pilots for the US air force. The radar operator stated that it accelerated to speeds of nearly 20k an hour. Photos are not proof by the way. There is no photo that would convince a sceptic. All of the pilots involved reported that the craft moved in ways not possible by conventional aircraft.

• Advertisement

We both know that there is no such things as UFO's or Flying Saucers, so at least we can rule that misnomer out.

I would say either a UK drone being used during an exercise for US Navy Seals or something similar. Or obviously a Russian drone of some sort?

I mean all the tech was available at the time. Drones are essentially remote controlled, it makes the most sense.

I can't believe you talked about unconfirmed aerial phenomenon that's reported by pilots using the word "we know".

Do you know how stupid statements like that are in a scientific context? We don't know. Experience that's the point in unexplained phenomenon. No one would make a statement like that in a scientific inquiry.

It doesn't make sense to the 6 pilots involved in the USS Nimitz incident, nor the radar operator.

I can't believe you talked about unconfirmed aerial phenomenon that's reported by pilots using the word "we know".

Do you know how stupid statements like that are in a scientific context? We don't know. Experience that's the point in unexplained phenomenon. No one would make a statement like that in a scientific inquiry.

Apologies for speaking stupidly. Thanks also for the heads up on Scientific inquiry etiquette.

How come the Aliens are so shy and won't talk to us?

It doesn't make sense to the 6 pilots involved in the USS Nimitz incident, nor the radar operator.

Is it possible that they were suffering from fatigue?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

This is the sort of thing that Scientific American warned against. A lot of sceptics exhibit a barely disguised scientific illiteracy trying to ridicule areas out of their intellectual comfort zone.
    Please define potential sources of the fireball? Could you also provide a scientific term in place of "fireball". It's meaningless.

You do love that word 'scientific', keep using it and it might just give a cloak of 'scientific' respectability to the inane child-like musings posited by yourself and others on this thread.

The milky way she walks around
    All feet firmly off the ground
    Two worlds collide, two worlds collide
    Here comes the future bride
    Gimme a lift to the lunar base
    I wanna marry a monster from outer space

• Advertisement

Captured on FLIR video by 6 pilots for the US air force. The radar operator stated that it accelerated to speeds of nearly 20k an hour. Photos are not proof by the way. There is no photo that would convince a sceptic. All of the pilots involved reported that the craft moved in ways not possible by conventional aircraft.

The last one is a Soviet camera drone that is able to cling onto moving jet aircraft using radio magnetic waves. It literally mimics the movement of localised aircraft, hence it is able to follow them and it appears to move erratically in the sky.

The best way to imagine the tech is to use the example of a piece of dirt or bacteria that you perceive as floating around your Cornea. Everytime you try to focus on the object it skips away. Roughly the same thing is happening using those Russian drones.

Seemingly they developed them to move in groups of 3 also. They are programmed to lock on to local moving craft based on satellite instruction. Once they are locked on they will work until they run out of battery power and literally drop out of the sky. They can send automatic live images back to a control center via satellite.

UFO's are everywhere, but none of them are Extra Terrestrial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

What is the story with the WOW signal, was it a technological blip.. or was something being communicated from beyond? It is the only documented aberration that I could possible believe?

The-wow-signal.jpg

You might find this interesting.

The Pan Adria incident in 1977.

Yeah, or the 15 people who swore that the Virgin Mary herself appeared in person to them in Fátima...or was it Knock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Apologies for speaking stupidly. Thanks also for the heads up on Scientific inquiry etiquette.

Yawn. Same drivel every message. You're playing Devils advocate for your own amusement.

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Yawn. Same drivel every message. You're playing Devils advocate for your own amusement.

Well no, I'm amused too.

Going back to another dimension now (Tellyland) for the second half of Chelsea v Newcastle.
    See you on the other side....be careful out there.

No problem.

Please no more hypotheticals. Just say fireball instead.

COVID wrote: »
    Yeah, or the 15 people who swore that the Virgin Mary herself appeared in person to them in Fátima...or was it Knock?

You're confusing technicianal appraisal and radar data with religious phenomenon.

The last one is a Soviet camera drone that is able to cling onto moving jet aircraft using radio magnetic waves. It literally mimics the movement of localised aircraft, hence it is able to follow them and it appears to move erratically in the sky.

The best way to imagine the tech is to use the example of a piece of dirt or bacteria that you perceive as floating around your Cornea. Everytime you try to focus on the object it skips away. Roughly the same thing is happening using those Russian drones.

Seemingly they developed them to move in groups of 3 also. They are programmed to lock on to local moving craft based on satellite instruction. Once they are locked on they will work until they run out of battery power and literally drop out of the sky. They can send automatic live images back to a control center via satellite.

UFO's are everywhere, but none of them are Extra Terrestrial.

I didn't say they were extraterrestrial. I said that there's craft reported that are said to move at accelerations and with manoeuvrability beyond current capabilities. We simply don't know what they are. I have my options but I can't say I know or don't know something.

Out of interest can anyone give a scientific appraisal of what was witnessed and recorded by the Nimitz crew? Genuinely interested in a chat that isn't posted from a cave about liking football.

• Advertisement

You do love that word 'scientific', keep using it and it might just give a cloak of 'scientific' respectability to the inane child-like musings posited by yourself and others on this thread.

The milky way she walks around
    All feet firmly off the ground
    Two worlds collide, two worlds collide
    Here comes the future bride
    Gimme a lift to the lunar base
    I wanna marry a monster from outer space

Well I've posted the opinion of scientists on the matter. We have the publication scientific American VS you spouting sh#t poetry and pretending to watching football only to respond to posts every five minutes.

Great post,see a lot of ridicule that you are talking about here as well.

Ignore them. There's plenty of scientific interest in this area. Intelligent conversations are plentiful on this topic now.

Out of interest can anyone give a scientific appraisal of what was witnessed and recorded by the Nimitz crew? Genuinely interested in a chat that isn't posted from a cave about liking football.

I recommend you watch the Lex Fridman interview with David Fravor (the man who witnessed it).

It’s a lot more in depth than the Joe Rogan interview.

Not sure if i posted about it on here before but Bob Lazars story is fascinating as well... his story has never changed through the years either.

Astronaut Edgar Mitchel recently passed, spoke very strongly on the subject as well.. one of his quotes.. "We all know that UFOs are real; now the question is where they come from."

Well I've posted the opinion of scientists on the matter. We have the publication scientific American VS you spouting sh#t poetry and pretending to watching football only to respond to posts every five minutes.

So John Cooper Clarke is shít poetry?

There's only one thing worse than a philistine, and that's a pseudo-scientific philistine.

I recommend you watch the Lex Fridman interview with David Fravor (the man who witnessed it).

It’s a lot more in depth than the Joe Rogan interview.

Watched it thanks Rhys.

Lex is an MIT grad talking to a pilot with 4000 hours of flight time.

The opposition here takes time between their intense watching football sessions to describe articles about astrophysics, MIT scientists interviewing expert witnesses as childish.

Keep posting stuff like this.

So John Cooper Clarke is shít poetry?

There's only one thing worse than a philistine, and that's a pseudo-scientific philistine.

Scientific American is pseudo scientific now :D

You're confusing technicianal appraisal and radar data with religious phenomenon.

So, 7 people swear that they saw bulshít that you do believe in = good.
    15 people swear that they saw bulshít that you don't believe in = bad.

You're confusing your fantasies with reality, dream on.

Scientific American is pseudo scientific now :D

No, but belief in flying-saucers and other such nonsense is as scientific as Scientology.

• Advertisement

No, but belief in flying-saucers and other such nonsense is as scientific as Scientology.

I think more dangerous is the ridiculing of scientific efforts to investigate such phenomenon. I posted articles from scientists, trained observers and radar operators.

You've referred to them all as childish when reciting poetry and pretending to watch football to get a reaction out of people.

Whether you like it or not it's an area worthy of investigation. The fact is there's a mystery out there. Yes people who say "I believe" are wrong but so to are the people who say "I know".

Worse still are those who lambast scientists for investigating such mysteries. You haven't attacked just those who have suggested that there's aliens visiting but all of those who maintain that there's a mystery worth investigating.

I'll leave you with the aforementioned article from Scientific American on the issue of scientific investigation. I'll post the link here and thereby put faith in you that you can do more than dismiss scientists who take an interest in this as "childish".
    A systematic investigation is essential in order to bring the phenomena into mainstream science. First, collection of hard data is paramount to establishing any credibility to the explanation of the phenomena. A rigorous scientific analysis is sorely needed, by multiple independent study groups, just as we do for evaluating other scientific discoveries. We, as scientists, cannot hastily dismiss any phenomenon without in-depth examination and then conclude the event itself is unscientific.

Such an approach would certainly not pass the “smell test” in our day-to-day science duties, so these kinds of arguments similarly should not suffice to explain UAP. We must insist on strict agnosticism. We suggest an approach that is purely rational: UAP represent observations that are puzzling and waiting to be explained. Just like any other science discovery.

So, 7 people swear that they saw bulshít that you do believe in = good.
    15 people swear that they saw bulshít that you don't believe in = bad.

You're confusing your fantasies with reality, dream on.

Do you know what radar and FLIR imaging is? It's not a matter of witnesses in this case.

And yes I think a pilot if better trained to observer and characterise aerial phenomena than the general public. You don't I see.

You also have to realise that scientists are saying there's a mystery here. They're starting from an agnostic positon as in all scientific matters. You're starting from a position that everyone who thinks there isn't a mystery here is an idiot. Attacking people for wanting to get to the bottom of a mystery has never led to scientific enlightenment.

I think my position here is being misrepresented so I'll explain. I think that we lack a sufficient explanation for the unexplained aerial phenomenon being reported.

As Carl Sagan concluded at the 1969 debate,
    “scientists are particularly bound to have open minds; this is the lifeblood of science. We do not know what UAP (unidentified aerial phenomenon) are, and this is precisely the reason that we as scientists should study them.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Have you every seen an unidentified flying object?

A UFO of course is just an aerial phenomenon that you can't explain (hence unidentified), & probably not at all connected to little green men from Mars.

So what are UFOs and have you ever seen something in the sky that you couldn't explain?

In the past many people have mistaken aircraft, weather balloons, silver party balloons, and even bright planets in the night sky as UFOs, but of course under scrutiny they usually have a rational & logical explanation. More recently drones have been mistaken as UFOs.

Then in the last month we've had video clips released from the Pentagon actually showing real UFOs filmed darting around at amazing speeds & doing manouvers that would be impossible for any manned craft to do. The G forces would be so powerful as to kill any human occupants, so what was witnessed by the US Navy pilots and the aircraft carrier radar?

Are UFOs terrestrial or extraterrestrial craft?

Illusions or really there, imagination or reality?

What are UFOs !

Yes there called military aircraft

Yes there called military aircraft

Hmmmm

I think more dangerous is the ridiculing of scientific efforts to investigate such phenomenon. I posted articles from scientists, trained observers and radar operators.

You've referred to them all as childish when reciting poetry and pretending to watch football to get a reaction out of people.

Whether you like it or not it's an area worthy of investigation. The fact is there's a mystery out there. Yes people who say "I believe" are wrong but so to are the people who say "I know".

Worse still are those who lambast scientists for investigating such mysteries. You haven't attacked just those who have suggested that there's aliens visiting but all of those who maintain that there's a mystery worth investigating.

I'll leave you with the aforementioned article from Scientific American on the issue of scientific investigation. I'll post the link here and thereby put faith in you that you can do more than dismiss scientists who take an interest in this as "childish".

When it comes to aliens, flying-saucers, Martians, and UFOs, I'll quote Christopher Hitchens on religion here: ''That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Btw, I did watch the match, 2-0 Chelsea, it wasn't very good, but at least it really did happen! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

When it comes to aliens, flying-saucers, Martians, and UFOs, I'll quote Christopher Hitchens on religion here: ''That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Btw, I did watch the match, 2-0 Chelsea, it wasn't very good, but at least it really did happen! ;)

But there is evidence. It may be poor evidence, or evidence that can be discredited after investigation, or not. But I think it is worthy of investigation.

An issue I have with the thread title is the word "believe".

I don't think any concept of belief is relevant to any form of enquiry in to the world, at least in terms of how many understand the word to mean.

I don't believe in anything in that sense. I prefer to use the word as to mean subscribing to certain values, or principles. But even there, I find it too absolutist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What would happen, if tomorrow the US government came out with a press release along the lines of....

“ we are announcing the discovery of a new planet, xxxxxxxxx light years away and we can conclusively determine that there are beings ,intelligent life forms inhabiting said planet with the ability to travel throughout the solar system and indeed to other galaxies possibly....”

Be a bit mad...

So now you're saying there's no such thing as UFOs.

Well I can prove you wrong there. UFOs are reported on all the time. Trained observers such as pilots are describing objects moving in ways that are distinct from commercial aircraft. That's a fact. You're stating the the reports aren't happening and therefore, there's no mystery.

Here's the New York Times reporting testimony from 2 Navy airforce pilots reporting on a UFO. UFOs are very real and that's a fact. What they are is up for debate.
    2 Navy Airmen and an Object That ‘Accelerated Like Nothing I’ve Ever Seen’

Hovering 50 feet above the churn was an aircraft of some kind — whitish — that was around 40 feet long and oval in shape. The craft was jumping around erratically, staying over the wave disturbance but not moving in any specific direction, Commander Fravor said. The disturbance looked like frothy waves and foam, as if the water were boiling.

Commander Fravor began a circular descent to get a closer look, but as he got nearer the object began ascending toward him. It was almost as if it were coming to meet him halfway, he said.

Commander Fravor abandoned his slow circular descent and headed straight for the object.

But then the object peeled away. “It accelerated like nothing I’ve ever seen,” he said in the interview. He was, he said, “pretty weirded out.”

So now you're saying there's no such thing as UFOs.

Well I can prove you wrong there. UFOs are reported on all the time. Trained observers such as pilots are describing objects moving in ways that are distinct from commercial aircraft. That's a fact. You're stating the the reports aren't happening and therefore, there's no mystery.

Here's the New York Times reporting testimony from 2 Navy airforce pilots reporting on a UFO. UFOs are very real and that's a fact. What they are is up for debate.

Getting there.

So no Martians, alien abductions, flying saucers, uninvited visitors from other planets and galaxies, or farmers from rural Brazil being frogmarched onto a 'spaceship'.
    So what's left?

Oh, UFOs, basically stuff in the sky that we can't quite see properly.

OPINION
    CULTURE
    Probing Extraterrestrial Abduction
    November 27, 20136:30 AM ET
    MARCELO GLEISER

According to Villas Boas, he was plowing fields with his tractor when he was taken against his will by a group of ETs measuring about 5 feet tall. On their spaceship he was put in a room where he saw some kind of gas come out of the walls, making him sick. Then a very attractive female, naked, with long platinum-blonde hair, fire-red pubic hair and deep-blue cat eyes, came to him and forced him to have intercourse.

I want on that spaceship, right now!

Carry on. :)

speaking of Brazil...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varginha_UFO_incident

this was a very good case and received a lot of attention

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    What would happen, if tomorrow the US government came out with a press release along the lines of....

“ we are announcing the discovery of a new planet, xxxxxxxxx light years away and we can conclusively determine that there are beings ,intelligent life forms inhabiting said planet with the ability to travel throughout the solar system and indeed to other galaxies possibly....”

Be a bit mad...

yea would be, be interesting to see how society would react... however, if they came out and said we are in possession of many downed UFO's, technology that is 1 million years in advance of ours, alien bodies, live aliens etc, we could potentially see a break down of society

yea would be, be interesting to see how society would react... however, if they came out and said we are in possession of many downed UFO's, technology that is 1 million years in advance of ours, alien bodies, live aliens etc, we could potentially see a break down of society

I wonder where they are hiding all this evidence they have found?

Fingers crossed the society breaker downers don't find it, there would be anarchy and chaos on the streets.... almost like a disaster movie.

Fingers crossed the society breaker downers don't find it, there would be anarchy and chaos on the streets.... almost like a disaster movie.

s4 would be a good place to look if you could get in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

This could be a pretty decent thread if it wasn't for constant idiotic posts like this.

This could be a pretty decent thread if it wasn't for constant idiotic posts like this.

It would be an even better one if we heard your opinion on anything.....

As was mentioned by another poster, the problem is the thread title.

If it were (although a bit unwieldy): The Lock Ness Monster: Reported sightings, out of focus grainy photos, and blurred footage of same...fill your boots here.

Then I wouldn't bother posting.

If however, it read: Do you believe in The Lock Ness Monster?

Then I'd probably chip in for the craic.

And there you have it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It would be an even better one if we heard your opinion on anything.....

I gave my opinion on something, you even quoted it.

Here's a video of an ex-RAF pilot who was flying for Aer Lingus in 1962 telling his story of a strange encounter they had on a flight from Cork to Brussels.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0518/876182-pilot-sees-unidentified-flying-object/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Here's a video of an ex-RAF pilot who was flying for Aer Lingus in 1962 telling his story of a strange encounter they had on a flight from Cork to Brussels.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0518/876182-pilot-sees-unidentified-flying-object/

Inb4 IAMMORON Posts "Swamp gas or Pilot was drinking on the job" without watching the video.

Cracking find btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

It`s so obvious. The evidence is being hidden in all the wet pubs in Ireland.`That`s the real reason why they haven`t been reopened for so long wouldn`t you agree?

• Advertisement
Advertisement