Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe in UFOs & flying saucers ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

COVID wrote: »
    Agree with the above 'ES', save for the bit about the poster's 'scientific integrity', how or where was this established?

He is a scientist by trade, unless I’m confusing him with another poster. If that’s the case, I apologise.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Help!

Brilliant response....................not. I will ask it again. What would you say to someone who suggested what I stated in my previous post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Brilliant response....................not. I will ask it again. What would you say to someone who suggested what I stated in my previous post?

I'd tell them to lay off the bong for a few weeks to clear their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

You might say 'cynical'; it's a favoured word of religious people for non-believers.

I would prefer to think of myself as slightly less credulous than you, obviously.;)

I would disagree on that C. You're the one coming to conclusions based on no evidence or a misunderstanding of the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭COVID

bangkok wrote: »
    are you trying to tell the OP he didnt see what he claims to have seen?

I'm not a doctor, but if I were and someone claimed to have seen such a thing, then I would ask them to come and see me sharpish.

Some people claim to hear voices in their heads, I don't disbelieve the fact that they hear them, but my interpretation of their import and meaning might be at variance with that of the person claiming to hear those voices.

• Advertisement

Help...please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I'm not a doctor, but if I were and someone claimed to have seen such a thing, then I would ask them to come and see me sharpish.

Some people claim to hear voices in their heads, I don't disbelieve the fact that they hear them, but my interpretation of their import and meaning might be at variance with that of the person claiming to hear those voices.

think its best going forward if i just use the ignore function on the thread and put you on it as you are offering nothing to this thread only adding childish comments. if everyone did that the thread might be interesting

think its best going forward if i just use the ignore function on the thread and put you on it as you are offering nothing to this thread only adding childish comments. if everyone did that the thread might be interesting

Or even a lovely echo chamber.;)

He is a scientist by trade, unless I’m confusing him with another poster. If that’s the case, I apologise.

Jeez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

The fact that you 'outlined' the story doesn't make it any less ludicrous.

However, after claiming to see the above in bold, I believe it might be best for you to pay a visit to your local GP.

Do post back and tell us all how you got on, and don't hold back on telling the full story to him/her.

Do take care.

tell me this - in all honesty, why would I take your advice to go see a doctor? You admit youve never even met anyone who claims to have seen a UFO - yet here you are, the expert on the subject.

But - you keep ploughing ahead. You know best after all. :pac:

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    tell me this - in all honesty, why would I take your advice to go see a doctor? You admit youve never even met anyone who claims to have seen a UFO - yet here you are, the expert on the subject.

But - you keep ploughing ahead. You know best after all. :pac:

:pac: to you too, oh and one of these as well! :p

Help...please!

Let`s try again. What would you say to a person who suggested what I stated?

are you trying to tell the OP he didnt see what he claims to have seen?

'dr' covid is trying hard to find any of us that give a ****e about his/her's severe case of cynic-itus. bit of an attention seeker I'd presume

steddyeddy wrote: »

I would disagree on that C. You're the one coming to conclusions based on no evidence or a misunderstanding of the evidence.

You love that word 'evidence', but unfortunately, you got none; otherwise, the thread title under discussion would be utterly meaningless.

Let`s try again. What would you say to a person who suggested what I stated?

I'd say cop on to yourself.

How's that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

Won't be here for another while with Covid

I'd say cop on to yourself.

How's that?

And exactly how would that be a proper response?

'dr' covid is trying hard to find any of us that give a ****e about his/her's severe case of cynic-itus. bit of an attention seeker I'd presume

You keep replying to my posts though. :confused:

cynic-itus Laugh....I nearly started.

And exactly how that would that be a proper response?

Because that would that what I would say.

• Advertisement

I'm off, see you later, space cadets.

the current '150 ufo reports in ireland' you hear of in the past few months was taken from the National UFO Research Center, Washington's website. If you do a search for 'Ireland', you'll find 146 - and some of those have Ireland twice in the same report so its much less that 150. Its also going back to the 50's. most of it is pretty banal mind you but there's a handful of really interesting ones

http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/ndxl.html

You keep replying to my posts though. :confused:

cynic-itus Laugh....I nearly started.

I'll bite.

that wasn't your post I was replying to. d'oh!

I'm off, see you later, space cadets.

Watch the skies. The truth is out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Saw an object once going back a number of years. Three of us witnessed it. It was night, shined like a star.

It could move horizontal or vertical in an instant. Pretty fecking groovy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Back on topic folks, any more off topic nonsense will result in bans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 davidbeckham32

never seen one, but believe the US government is in possession of a ufo after the roswell crash

never seen one, but believe the US government is in possession of a ufo after the roswell crash

Not quite.

''(Robert)Park explains the emergence of the Roswell saga as the product of over-active imaginations stitching together bits and pieces of reports of unrelated plane crashes, parachute experiments involving roughly life-like dummies, and so on, even though some of these events occurred many miles from Roswell and years later.''

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/myth-of-ufo-at-roswell-debunked-1.1101393

who's robert park - besides writing for The Sciences?

• Advertisement

who's robert park - besides writing for The Sciences?

He died last year.

He was emeritus professor of physics at the University of Maryland, College Park.

and that means he knows a lot about Roswell ... gotcha.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Is there much to know about it apart from the one upmanship of claims made by successive UFO investigators decades after the event?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 davidbeckham32

Not quite.

''(Robert)Park explains the emergence of the Roswell saga as the product of over-active imaginations stitching together bits and pieces of reports of unrelated plane crashes, parachute experiments involving roughly life-like dummies, and so on, even though some of these events occurred many miles from Roswell and years later.''

didnt the guy who was front and centre in the photos of the wreckage photos say years later that the wreckage in the photos was swapped and what they found was totally different? like he was one of the main people at the time and he said what they found was not of this earth... i think i would believe him, high ranking official, why would he lie

didnt the guy who was front and centre in the photos of the wreckage photos say years later that the wreckage in the photos was swapped and what they found was totally different? like he was one of the main people at the time and he said what they found was not of this earth... i think i would believe him, high ranking official, why would he lie

Jesse Marcel... his son said he brought some home and it had hyroglific writing on some of the material,said it wouldnt bend or they couldnt damage it either

• Advertisement

Is there much to know about it apart from the one upmanship of claims made by successive UFO investigators decades after the event?

No idea - just wondering what the logic is in thinking a lad knows about the subject because he was a professor. Unless he’d researched it - which is why i asked

Obviously your research standards arent that high going by your post

No idea - just wondering what the logic is in thinking a lad knows about the subject because he was a professor. Unless he’d researched it - which is why i asked

He knows as much about anyone about alien craft?

He knows as much about anyone about alien craft?

Roswell is about an unidentified flying object crashing. Why are you assuming its an ‘alien craft’? In fact this thread is about ufos - not aliens

Roswell is about an unidentified flying object crashing. Why are you assuming its an ‘alien craft’? In fact this thread is about ufos - not aliens

Thank you for that. UFO means unidentified. It's interesting to me as a substantial amount of these sightings are unexplained and seem to defy our knowledge of aerial phenomenon.

Most likely a MFO, misidentified flying object like a surveillance ballon or weather balloon. Spare me with the assuming it's alien, this story hasn't been flogged for decades because of something that was unidentified.

• Advertisement

Most likely a MFO, misidentified flying object like a surveillance ballon or weather balloon. Spare me with the assuming it's alien, this story hasn't been flogged for decades because of something that was unidentified.

cheers. though to be fair, I can go outside and ask any other randomer their opinion either.

Ive no idea if anything at all happened in Roswell - but at least I can admit that I dont actually know, rather than pretending I know what happened. I'll bow to your superior knowledge as well. because you KNOW what happened. Yeah?

Thank you for that. UFO means unidentified. It's interesting to me as a substantial amount of these sightings are unexplained and seem to defy our knowledge of aerial phenomenon.

like I say - I'd like an explanation for the balls of light I saw 6 foot off the ground and a few feet in front of me.

Besides Covid's 'you should see a doctor' blarney. (coincidental fact, I just was at the doctors an hour ago)

You asked me who Robert Park was; I told you who he was.

That was 'the logic', oh and yes, he has indeed researched 'Roswell':

''Roswell became a gold mine. The unverified accounts spawned a string of profitable books, and were shamelessly exploited for their entertainment value on television programs and talk shows-even serious ones, such as CBS's 48 Hours, then hosted by Dan Rather, and CNN's Larry King Live. The low point was reached by Fox TV. In 1995 the network began showing grainy black-and-white footage of what was purported to be a government autopsy of one of the aliens-a broadcast that garnered such exceptional ratings (and such exceptional advertising revenues) that it was rerun repeatedly for three years. Then, when ratings finally began to wane, Fox dramatically "exposed" the entire thing as a hoax''.

https://www.nasw.org/sites/default/files/sciencewriters/html/sum00tex/aliens.htm

you ARE making the assumption everyone thinks it was alien. Ironically the same assumption you seem to be trying to belittle other people of making. in fact you were the person talking about 'alien craft' - not me. UFO doesnt not equal 'alien craft'

''Roswell became a gold mine. The unverified accounts spawned a string of profitable books, and were shamelessly exploited for their entertainment value on television programs and talk shows-even serious ones, such as CBS's 48 Hours, then hosted by Dan Rather, and CNN's Larry King Live. The low point was reached by Fox TV. In 1995 the network began showing grainy black-and-white footage of what was purported to be a government autopsy of one of the aliens-a broadcast that garnered such exceptional ratings (and such exceptional advertising revenues) that it was rerun repeatedly for three years. Then, when ratings finally began to wane, Fox dramatically "exposed" the entire thing as a hoax''.

https://www.nasw.org/sites/default/files/sciencewriters/html/sum00tex/aliens.htm

i could have swore the roswell incident was in 1947 - not 1954. who cares if it became a goldmine - if people think an 'alien' was taken away (which isnt something ive ever claimed) what do you expect it to become? That still doesnt say anything about the original incident or if a UFO was or was not seen or had crashed

i could have swore the roswell incident was in 1947 - not 1954. who cares if it became a goldmine - if people think an 'alien' was taken away (which isnt something ive ever claimed) what do you expect it to become? That still doesnt say anything about the original incident or if a UFO was or was not seen or had crashed

From the piece you, eh, just read:

The current fascination with aliens can be traced back to the strange events that took place near Roswell in the summer of 1947.

That's a review for a TV show. Nothing to do with Roswell except in a most superficial manner.

The current fascination with aliens can be traced back to the strange events that took place near Roswell in the summer of 1947.

i wonder who claimed it was a UFO - maybe the military (before quickly changing their tune)

https://www.wired.com/2010/07/0708army-announces-roswell-new-mexico-ufo-sighting/

also - theres plenty of other accounts of UFOs - why are you focusing on this one?

so what exactly is your point? we all agree there were strange events involving an unidentified flying object. granted, the government done a U turn on that - but to this day theres no definitive proof what it was (and therefore still unidentified)

You didnt puncture your own argument did you?

That's a review for a TV show. Nothing to do with Roswell except in a most superficial manner.

It's from an article written by Robert Park for,

'The Newsletter For The National Association of SCIENCEWRITERS'
    Volume 49, Number 2, Summer 2000

The article includes this gem:

''The widespread belief in alien abductions is just one example of the growing influence of pseudoscience. Two hundred years ago, educated people imagined that the greatest contribution of science would be to free the world from superstition and humbug. It has not happened. Ancient beliefs in demons and magic still sweep across the modern landscape, but they are now dressed in the language and symbols of science: A best-selling health guru asserts that cancer can be banished from the body by the power of the mind. If anyone should doubt it, he explains that it's all firmly grounded in quantum theory''.

• Advertisement
Advertisement