Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 indicates it's not connected to the net when it is.

Options
  • 26-05-2020 6:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I've had this problem for some time and have unsuccessfully tried several items of advice that I found on the Net. If I unplug and reconnect the system it is shown to be OK on the display tray, then it slips back to it's old ways when I log onto something. Searching the Net indicates this is a well known and maybe unfixable problem. It did not follow anything that I did, could have followed a Win 10 update. Worse still is that it is not consistent, insofar as sometimes it won't show the pictures in downloads, it is consistently unable to connect to Microsoft Games.
    Should I get a hammer, or maybe a Gun?
    I hope some no. 8 hat has a solution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Have you messed with the static IP settings menu? Have you changed the default DNS server settings by any chance? Have you messed with the hosts file?

If it's a known problem then open Cortana and type 'update' then run any feature updates from Microsoft. It might take all day buy you will get an up to date system with a lot of problems fixed.

Can you clarify what is and is not working exactly and when was the last time it functioned correctly?

Do you have no access to the internet whatsoever or is it that you can browse websites but Microsoft Games won't load?

Sounds like a DNS issue but hard to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Malware, virus...

Never come across this so don't know where you are reading it
    Searching the Net indicates this is a well known and maybe unfixable problem

If it is just Microsoft games (what is that? XBox games?) then more likely a virus

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TAPlank

Thank you for your rely. No, I havent messed with anything. I even reset windows but the problem remains. As for where I read about the problem, I googled it and numerous similar postings indicated it to be widespread.

This is what happens. On boot up the taskbar shows a globe that when clicked on opens a panel that says "Network - no Internet" Clicking on Troubleshoot opens the Windows Diagnostic box, where it says "Possible Solutions Network Re-set" It then says it cannot fix the problem. It also shows "Apply this fix" and when I try to repair as administrato it usually corrects the problem. However it can revert to showing "Network - no Internet", However I can still browse the Net but some items won't open.
    As of now it shows "Network - no Internet" I expect to be able to post this in the nornal way. Let's see it idt does.

I missed out saying that I have to re-boot after "Applying this fix", it posted the foregoing without doing that, but would not go further until it was re-booted.
    N. B. Resetting Windows 10 did NOT fix the problem. I have the latest update.

> but some items won't open
    you mean some websites won't load? Some images won't?

Open the Windows command line and post the result of command 'ipconfig'.

Type into cortana 'cmd', open the command prompt, type 'ipconfig' and press enter.

Is it only one computer on the network that is having this problem or all devices?

If you type into cortana: ncpa.cpl you can see your network interfaces. Try right-clicking, choosing disable then enable. If that doesn't work see if setting a different DNS server fixes the problem. Try Google's DNS and see if that helps (Google Public DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

Last time a saw something like this it was a DNS issue.

How do you connect to the internet? Are you connected to the router with a network cable?

• Advertisement

Working perfectly to-day. What did I do? - Nothing. Just closed down last night, went to bed, got up this am, switched it on and its working. Never did that previously. Witchcraft, Sorcery or Happenstance? Wait and see. The thick plottens!.

Now day two, PC working normally. No connection problems. I think I'll close this issue as "fixed"

TAPlank wrote: »
    Now day two, PC working normally. No connection problems. I think I'll close this issue as "fixed"
    prolly there was an update overnight.
    if you type 'event log' into Cortana it will tell you
    I've seen network card drivers get messed up by Windows updte

Advertisement