Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from house share to single accommodation

Options
  • 26-05-2020 6:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi All

I am coming to the end of a flat share in South Dublin, the landlord is looking for the room back at end of lease for family and so looking for different accommodation to isolate in. I remember some of the interviews i had looking for flat-sharing before(some genuine weirdos out there) so would prefer single place over shared after sharing for a couple of years and of course the virus doesn't make things easier, just can't find anything suitable in price range (ideally less then 1000).

I don't earn a bundle so the prospect of paying 1400-1600 a month plus expenses would leave me nearly pot-less so I'm trying to avoid that. I'm not on any social housing list as I'm not sure if I'd qualify being single despite having no relatives in the county to ask for help and I'm earning less then the threshold. Don't like the idea of depending on that when others are worse off that me need it more.

looking on the usual places like daft and rent but nothing catching. I open to the idea of renting in around Dublin or outside the county I just don't want to travel over 100km to work each day when the lockdown ends(did that before and it's not nice on the mind or body).

Any advice on where to look, what sites/areas or if letting agents would be a good idea? any ideas are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You may have to broaden your search parameters. Looking for a property to rent by yourself in Dublin, or within a short/medium commuting distance places you in a group with a large number of people searching for accommodation. Though rental costs may be falling, at the price level you are talking about (<€1000) you may have no option but to look at another house share or longer commute.

Just on a side note, do you currently share with your Landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Look for studio apts in Ranelagh/Rathmines area - plenty under the €1000. Great location, still close to the centre by foot. But they go pretty fast so you better act fast. Set up an immediate Daft alarm so you will get notified the second the ad is posted there. Dont know what area you work so try there too.

Studios are great, just dont take any where you cant move a finger - i saw some weird stuff on Daft, prisoners have more space in their cells than some studios.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hotshot88

Dav010 wrote: »
    You may have to broaden your search parameters. Looking for a property to rent by yourself in Dublin, or within a short/medium commuting distance places you in a group with a large number of people searching for accommodation. Though rental costs may be falling, at the price level you are talking about (<€1000) you may have no option but to look at another house share or longer commute.

Just on a side note, do you currently share with your Landlord?

Ya, living with landlord in flat now for a year, nice guy no complaints either side just looking for it back for his brother.
    Ya I am looking beyond Dublin but little in price range there thats not in carlow or Gorey, Wicklow or Kildare wouldn't bother me just calculating in travel costs as well as rent even there it soon adds up
    Look for studio apts in Ranelagh/Rathmines area - plenty under the €1000. Great location, still close to the centre by foot. But they go pretty fast so you better act fast. Set up an immediate Daft alarm so you will get notified the second the ad is posted there. Dont know what area you work so try there too.

Studios are great, just dont take any where you cant move a finger - i saw some weird stuff on Daft, prisoners have more space in their cells than some studios.

Good luck.

Ya I was looking at a few but most seem like a box room you can't swing a cat in there. Thanks for the advice

Advertisement