Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked to prove I pressed cancellation on IVR - Virgin Media

• 26-05-2020 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I could not cancel virgin media contract as:
    1. Stores are closed
    2. When you select cancellation request option on virgin media customer care lines, they dropped the call.
    3. Chat service never worked

They were selling phones or resolving technical issues on IVR however not taking cancellation request.

All this led to delay. When I raised a complaint with consonline(body for telecom complaints)

THEY ASKED ME TO PROVE THAT I PRESSED CANCELLATION OPTION ON IVR.

How will someone prove that when they called they selected cancellation option. I thought they are here to help customers
    ??? What am I missing here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

I also had that problem - tried to cancel at the end of March - no shops open and customer service lines offline. Eventually got through to someone at the end of April.

I did contact them through their WhatsApp service at the end of March and clearly stated that I wanted to cancel but no response either.

Just received my bill for next month. Ridiculous. Will lodge complaint to ComReg.
    Jjohnrockk wrote: »
    1. Stores are closed
    2. When you select cancellation request option on virgin media customer care lines, they dropped the call.

They were selling phones or resolving technical issues on IVR however not taking cancellation request.

All this led to delay. When I raised a complaint with consonline(body for telecom complaints)

How will someone prove that when they called they selected cancellation option. I thought they are here to help customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,907 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Can Virgin Media prove that you didn't press the menu choice on their IVR?

Common sense would dictate that if you called into their IVR system, you did it with good reason.
    Noone calls in to their provider just for a chat with the service robot.

If you have a log confirming the call to 1908, that's enough.
    It may not be enough for VM, but it will certainly be enough for ComReg, should VM persist in their frankly ridiculous stance with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

[HTML][/HTML]

donnyvegas wrote: »
    I also had that problem - tried to cancel at the end of March - no shops open and customer service lines offline. Eventually got through to someone at the end of April.

I did contact them through their WhatsApp service at the end of March and clearly stated that I wanted to cancel but no response either.

Just received my bill for next month. Ridiculous. Will lodge complaint to ComReg.

ComReg asked me to prove I pressed IVR. What a shame. It is like harassing someone.

banie01 wrote: »
    Can Virgin Media prove that you didn't press the menu choice on their IVR?

Common sense would dictate that if you called into their IVR system, you did it with good reason.
    Noone calls in to their provider just for a chat with the service robot.

If you have a log confirming the call to 1908, that's enough.
    It may not be enough for VM, but it will certainly be enough for ComReg, should VM persist in their frankly ridiculous stance with you.

ComReg asked me to prove I had pressed IVR. They started with this stance that 30 Day notice was required. They supported VM clearly.

Jjohnrockk wrote: »
    1. Stores are closed

Complaint was with ComReg. I forgot the name and hence had put some consonline

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Will they not let you cancel via Whatsapp chat. Then you could capture it.

We have a sorry excuse for a regulator. I would like to see some stats on what they achieve vs the cost to run it.

beauf wrote: »
    Will they not let you cancel via Whatsapp chat. Then you could capture it.

We have a sorry excuse for a regulator. I would like to see some stats on what they achieve vs the cost to run it.

Whatsapp chat response is same i.e. to wait. Secondly, when we tried WA we had no clue with had to wait to reach a regulator which will ask for such evidence.

Never faced this with a regulator anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Isnt the whole point here that the OP didn't actually cancel service?

You can cancel by email, all you did as far as I can see is ring up and not get through to anyone.

Going into the queue for a cancellations dept hardly constitutes cancelling a contract.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Isnt the whole point here that the OP didn't actually cancel service?

You can cancel by email, all you did as far as I can see is ring up and not get through to anyone.

Going into the queue for a cancellations dept hardly constitutes cancelling a contract.

lol when did I say that I could not get through. Menu option was not active - You ring them 100 times and still wont get through because cancellation options leads to no connection BY DESIGN due to shortage of STAFF. You can get through a SALES CALL. READ AND THEN RESPOND MR.

I did WA chat as well. Also, when they can sell via IVR why cant they accept cancellation.

I'm not the only one here who has same complain.

Also this is not against VM - Corporates are designed to sell or mis-sell. Profit being only goal largely

Point is how can a regulator be so illogical and ask for a proof that you pressed IVR.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,926 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I got through to cancellations on Friday. Tried the whatsapp option, but as soon as you say you want to cancel the whatsapp team direct you to ring 1908. I was on hold for about 40 mins but I got through to someone eventually and was able to speak to someone and give my 30 days notice. While on hold to 1908 I asked the whatsapp team could I cancel by email and was told no.

• Advertisement
Advertisement