Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMac 21.5” 2019 HDD

Options
  • 26-05-2020 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I purchased iMac 21.5” 2019 model in the last week of April 2020 from Blanchardstown Mall HN. Before I could find out how the machine fares, the shop was closed. In the one month that went by I found the iMac is absolutely slow, slow. Even the Apple Apps like Pages etc are taking long time to open. To get some docs from my iCould Drive it seems ages!
    Is it possible to exchange it to MBAir ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are you sure you bought a 2019 model? HN are currently advertising a 2017 iMac which has a 1TB HDD which spins at 5,400 RPM. That slow spin speed would definitely be a drag on performance, check the exact model of your machine and look it up on the Apple website.

On the iMac, click the apple icon on the left of the menu bar at the top of the screen, then click the first option in the dropdown menu: 'About this Mac'. In the panel that pops up, study the details and on the line which starts with 'iMac', what are the model details, does it give a model year? On the top bar of that panel, click the 'Storage' option, then study what it says on the left, what does it says for capacity and disk type?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LiberBliss

Thanks coylemj!
    I saw it. It says:
    iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)
    1 TB SATA Disk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

LiberBliss wrote: »
    Thanks coylemj!
    I saw it. It says:
    iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)
    1 TB SATA Disk

That SATA drive is likely your issue. The fusion drives (small SSD plus hard drive) should be the bare minimum if you're spending that much If not full SSD.

Nelbert wrote: »
    That SATA drive is likely your issue. The fusion drives (small SSD plus hard drive) should be the bare minimum if you're spending that much If not full SSD.

+1 OP, this looks like your problem, a slow HDD. In the absence of a fault with the device, they won’t take it back. And even if it ‘developed’ a fault, they would simply get it repaired and ship it back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Too late now but personally I think iMac's are not a good buy at present until they get rid of rotating drives. Far better to get a Mac Mini and use your own monitor(s).

• Advertisement

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Too late now but personally I think iMac's are not a good buy at present until they rid of rotating drives. Far better to get a Mac Mini and use your own monitor(s).

It's not just an iMac issue, there's lots of laptops and desktops for sale out there with 5,400 RPM drives that will severely impact performance. I know some of them are in hybrid disk setups (e.g. Apple 'fusion' drives) with an SSD front-end but these days I'd go for all SSD and not touch a HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Too late now but personally I think iMac's are not a good buy at present until they get rid of rotating drives. Far better to get a Mac Mini and use your own monitor(s).

WWDC in late June should see a revamped lineup and hopefully the last of any model that doesn't at least come with the fusion drives.
    They've no rotational drives in the MacBook lineup at all.

Advertisement