Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sunken lawn

Options
  • 26-05-2020 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a 3 year old garden. The builder (as they do) just rolled turf over the back garden when it was sold to me. Fairly sure theres loads of rubble & cr@p under the layer of grass that was rolled out.

Since we moved in the lawn has sunken by between 5-10cm in places -garden slopes off to one side.

I'm going to get topsoil and either reseed or turf over the topsoil.

My question is whether i should rotovate the garden too (and dig out the cr@p) or just put the topsoil directly on the grass that is there at the moment (whats left of it). I'd cut the grass very short before putting topsoil over it to minimise the amount of sinkage afterwards.

open to other suggestions too.

Garden is south west facing and can get quite wet in the winter (So drainage may not be great....or might just be theres not enough grass/soil to soak up a heavy rain).

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Sounds like you've two separate issues here... a need to raise the level of parts of the lawn, and a potential drainage issue.

The drainage issue is the most significant one here. You need to decide if it is bad enough to warrant attention, and if so, then kill two birds with one stone and do all of the remedial work together.

If only raising level of the lawn in spots and you are patient, apply an inch or so of soil at a time, let the grass grow up through it over a couple of months, repeat and rise it up slowly.
    If it is a big spot, put on topsoil and seed it.

Pics would help with advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Doing the same thing. 3 years in a new build and they just rolled out turf on the rubble :rolleyes:

I was hoping to just dig and turn the grass and then add topsoil. Would folks dig out all the grass before starting or would just turning it be ok?

Not sure yet to seed it or turf it.

Has anyone done the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

If the grass is OK but there are bumps and hollows you could...

Cut through the uneven patch with an H-shaped incision and peel back the turf.
    Fork over the base and either remove excess soil or add new top soil to raise the level.
    Firm down the soil and make sure the patch is level before replacing the turf.
    Check the lawn is level and adjust again if necessary.
    Brush a sandy lawn top-dressing into the crevices between the turves.
    Compress the turf edges with the back of a rake.
    Water in with a watering can fitted with a fine rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Oh my God that is such a practical approach to levelling bumps and sunken area that I'm embarrassed at how I've done it before! I've often gotten soil in, dumped it where it needs to go and now have the odd patch of different coloured/textured grass which took a lifetime to grow (hens, dogs etc being at it)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭daheff

so i went with just dropping topsoil ontop of what I have in one corner...see how that goes.

topsoil (screened) is quite stoney though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement