Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peugeot Deauville

Options
  • 26-05-2020 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it would be worth restoring this bike?

Its the wife's bike that has been sitting in her grandfathers garage since it was bought

IMG-20200526-135014.jpg IMG-20200526-135732.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Stokolan wrote: »
    Just wondering if it would be worth restoring this bike?

Its the wife's bike that has been sitting in her grandfathers garage since it was bought

IMG-20200526-135014.jpg IMG-20200526-135732.jpg

Looks pretty clean and need of sligh renovation and some tidying. Maybe some modernising Remove the dynamo and the suicide brakes maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Are you restoring to cycle, or sell?

If you're restoring because your wife likes the bike, then it's a matter of how far with the restore to do you want to go? If it was me, I'd take off the mudguards, rack and plastic guard thing, and if the lights and dynamo were aftermarket those too.

Then I'd replace chain, bar tape, tubes and tyres, cables and cable housing. The paint looks to be in good nick, so a good clean should be fine. Your looking at the guts of a hundred quid for those parts, depending of course on what brands you go for.

If you're looking to restore in order to sell, you'd need to figure out will the sale price cover your time and money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Worth fixing up if it’s going to be used. But if you’re going to pay a bike shop to do it you’ll be unlikely to get much return if you sell it.

In usable condition probably worth about €50-100. The frame looks to be cheap enough judging by the stamped dropouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Looks like it just needs a good clean up and lube, all that surface rust will come off with a scour pad.
    Oil the chain get the derailleur and cables moving, pump the tyres and your there.
    I wouldn’t be taking anything off it- the mudguards, coatguard, chainguard dynamo and rack all add to the practicality of the bike. She’ll be able to cycle it in a bit of rain or on wet roads without destroying her clothes.
    Get a panier for the rear rack and she’ll be happy out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first thing i noticed was how much the chain is sagging. what's the spring action on the rear derailleur like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

OP, can you pedal, change gears, and brake?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

It's worth restoring if you are going to use it, as stated above. Beautiful original French mixte frame.

It won't make money on resale by the time you've put money into it.

A straight bar conversion, brake levers, hand grips, full service and a modern pair of alloy wheels and tyres/tubes (to shed some weight) won't leave you much change from 150-200 quid but it will be a wonderful bike to ride, albeit with a realistic market value of around 120 quid, despite what others may tell you.

I do these conversions for people constantly; their main driver is nostalgia/sentimental value.

Advertisement