Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locks

Options
  • 26-05-2020 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

I've tried to search the forum but it seems the search function is currently broken. I'm collecting my first road bike in the next few days and I need a lock. The bike won't be left at any DART/Luas stops, and it will be kept inside when not in use. The lock will be rarely used, and when it is, it will probably be when running into a shop to grab something, or possibly for an hour in the gym (whenever they open!). Can anybody recommend anything? I was thinking of something like this: https://www.mycycle.ie/Kryptonite-KryptoLok-Standard-U-lock-with-4-foot-K-p/gk001966.htm

Thanks!

Comments

It depends on the value of the bike.

For example, I spent 800 on mine a few years ago and got this and this. Might be overkill but I've never had so much as an attempted theft

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

10% value of the bike is the general recommendation. I've Kryptonite and On-guard Pitbull, as I found the Pitbull a touch wider and longer which helped me lock one of my bikes.

Nipping into the shops is one thing, I'd be wary of outside a gym tbh.

Also, learn how to lock it properly - so many bikes aren't locked effectively!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Also, learn how to lock it properly - so many bikes aren't locked effectively!

I've done a bit of research on that, so happy enough I know how to do it, thanks!

I'm now thinking of this:
    https://www.wiggle.com/kryptonite-evolution-standard-lock-flexframe-bracket/
    https://www.wiggle.com/kryptonite-kryptoflex-4-foot-cable-bike-lock/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Where are you storing the bike? Thieves often target sheds and outhouses, ensure it is locked while in the shed and the shed door is securely locked.

The locks are good enough, the trouble might be trying to find something to clamp the lock to that fits and a chain lock might give more flexibility in that regard.

https://www.wiggle.com/?s=Kryptonite+Evolution

Avoid tying to cast iron railings if possible, as the thief will break the rails with brute force, that aside some premises owners will remove such bikes.

bike_theft_stolen_how_to_lock_bike_secure.jpg

Video: How to properly lock your bike in town.

Video: How NOT to lock your bike in town.

Record the following information:
    • Make:
    • Model:
    • Colour:
    • Serial Number: (Usually found on the underside of the crank, or the tubes nearby)
    • Distinguishing marks or scratches known by you.

Keep your proof of purchase. (new bike receipts will often have the bike serial number)

Have a photo of yourself with the bike.

More information here.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I’d seen all of the above links earlier in the week, thanks. Bike is going to be stored in my apartment while not in use, so no worries on that front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I know that people who know about lock security go for the chain version of the krypto locks over the U lock. Harder to cut with an angle grinder. Which seems to be the popular method of stealing bikes these days.

Kryptonite Evolution Chain Lock (Series 4)

VIDEO: Bicycle theft using angle grinder in broad daylight in the Dublin Docklands
    March 4, 2020

Two Men Caught By Gardai Nicking Bike In Dublin In Broad Daylight
    David Layde - November 9, 2019

There is an arms race, as everyone puts on better locks the scumbags show up with an angle grinder and nobody says anything while they are cutting through them.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Get yourself a Kryptonite Evolution and leave it mounted on the bike so you'll always have it when you need it, the bike mount is a pain in the ass to fit but perfect from then on:

http://thebestbikelock.com/best-u-lock/kryptonite-evolution-series-4-review/

If you have a favourite spot where you always leave your bike outside the gym or work or whatever then buy something massive like a Krytonite New York or an Onguard Bulldog and leave the lock there to use, its great having the Evo mounted on the bike though.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The advent of the battery angle grinder makes it tough to protect against.

The advent of the battery angle grinder makes it tough to protect against.

That’s why the chain version is recommended over the u lock.

I only came across the .22 bolt gun method of breaking locks the other day. Had no idea about that method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

At a minimum make sure they cant spin your bike to break the locks, my standard is 3 U locks, 2 good ones and a smaller 3rd for the front wheel

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've done a bit of research on that, so happy enough I know how to do it, thanks!

I'm now thinking of this:
    https://www.wiggle.com/kryptonite-evolution-standard-lock-flexframe-bracket/
    https://www.wiggle.com/kryptonite-kryptoflex-4-foot-cable-bike-lock/
    Seems expensive enough, even with offers. My NY cost just a little more a few years ago when a good offer was up.

The On Guards were mentioned and I would get them again. The evolution has a 14mm diameter shackle, the NY is 16mm and the M18 NY motorbike series is 18mm.

The on guard 16.8mm brute is only £29 on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guard-Brute-STD-8001-Keyed-Shackle/dp/B00AW7P7JK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=onguard+lock+brute&qid=1590920676&sr=8-1

The 14mm including the wire cable lock is £26
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/OnGuard-8005-Pitbull-U-Lock-9-06-Inch/dp/B005YPKBWI/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=onguard+lock+brute&qid=1590920676&sr=8-5

The krypt of a same thickness may take longer to cut if they use better hardening.

I much prefer the keys on the on guards.

Effects wrote: »
    I only came across the .22 bolt gun method of breaking locks the other day. Had no idea about that method.
    Luckily Lidl do have have these in stock for the scum to steal.

I found the remains of an old Krypto NY U Lock that I cut through before. I think I'll run a test and see how long it takes to get through both sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I found the remains of an old Krypto NY U Lock that I cut through before. I think I'll run a test and see how long it takes to get through both sections.

If you know a welder you could make use of it. I had an old u-lock where my key broke and I had to cut it off. I was able to bend the ends together in a vice and got it welded to a heavy duty chain, so it could be used as a noose lock.

This is how the noose locks work, a very efficent use of chain.

MTcyNTc0NzU2YjgwNzdkYTEwNjUxNmUwZWQwODViY2GaRCFs_1uVujizs3282Q5BaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMzgxNWE0OTlhY2I3MTRhNjM1YjdjYmFkOTZjM2QyZDk4MDE3MGE3OTUxMzliOTE2YzA4ODhjZjg2ODg5NmI1Yy5qcGd8fHx8fHw1MDB4Mzc1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

noose-lock-vs-chain-lock.gif

So my broken U lock formed the hoop at the end where the rest of the chain went through.

kryptonite-new-york-noose-1275-strongest-portable-chain.jpg

But your NY might be very difficult to bend, but could be cut in 3 bits. Then welding will mess up the hardening but still probably stronger than the chain itself.

I'm wishing I had something put down in the concrete outside when I built my house. Haven't got around to building a shed yet, two years later.
    Baby on the way so my bike room has to go to make room for her!

That’s why the chain version is recommended over the u lock.

Now that you mention it and how to mitigate against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Has anybody tried the seaty lock? Think its a fantastic idea if you only are nipping in and of the shops, including shipping it comes in at $109 from America so about 90 euro.

Link

I'm not really seeing any downsides, bit heavy maybe but its a lock

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Engineer in work texted me last week asking could he borrow my grinder to cut the lock off his girlfriend's bike.
    He's only 1 km from my house so I tipped down that evening with my cordless DeWalt grinder.
    He'd lost the keys to it and it was locked to his front fence.
    Kryptonite make "u lock"

I'd say 15 seconds and it was on the ground. It's no wonder these feckers are buying cheap grinders from Lidl/Aldi and using them.
    So easy unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

mfceiling wrote: »
    Engineer in work texted me last week asking could he borrow my grinder to cut the lock off his girlfriend's bike.
    He's only 1 km from my house so I tipped down that evening with my cordless DeWalt grinder.
    He'd lost the keys to it and it was locked to his front fence.
    Kryptonite make "u lock"

I'd say 15 seconds and it was on the ground. It's no wonder these feckers are buying cheap grinders from Lidl/Aldi and using them.
    So easy unfortunately.

Yeah, the thing is, you can't really have a nice bike and leave it in town. Also.. very rarely is someone going to stop a scumbag, never mind one that is determined and has a weapon (be it an angle grinder, cutters or whatever!).

It's easy money really, no deterrent (police will rarely investigate a robbery, Joe public will do nothing) at all and as you discovered, most locks are easily defeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Has anybody tried the seaty lock? Think its a fantastic idea if you only are nipping in and of the shops, including shipping it comes in at $109 from America so about 90 euro.

I'm not really seeing any downsides, bit heavy maybe but its a lock

At first I thought gimmicky as hell, but I guess not a bad lock for a commuter/daily driver if you don't mind the downsides (new seat, no saddle bag, weight).

I don't think I'd swap my evo mini 5 tho, which I can just shove in my bag or clip onto my backpack when I need to go to the shops etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement