Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Monitor (Well technically third)

Options
  • 26-05-2020 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've got a bit of cash saved for a new monitor and at the point now where I can start looking at models. I've about 350 quid and currently have a desktop with one nice monitor ( Samsung 28 Inch) and one potato monitor from the medieval period.

I've got a machine more than capable of powering two decent monitors (thanks to most of ye here from a build about 3 years ago) so I'd like to finally get a second one. I tend to have multiple things on the go at any one time so I could be working on something with youtube/netflix on another monitor or if I'm really into something I'd easily have the big one covered in a bunch of windows and the potato open for web references or other tools.

Just wondering how do people choose their second monitor normally in here? Are you inclined to get two identical ones? Or do you have one for size and one for quality? The desk space isn't huge so i couldn't go much bigger than the Samsung 28" anyway but just wondering if anyone has thoughts before I splurge as ye've given me good advice/ideas before.

Cheers!
    Red

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I have 2 x 27" monitors, one is an expensive 144hz gaming monitor that runs 1440 and the other is a HDR 4k for other stuff. I have them attached to an arm so they are at the exact same height.

I find if the monitors are different sizes it's not as fluid moving your eye from one to the other, but you might not be bothered by it.

Having two different resolutions is ok, but dragging windows from one monitor to another will mean resizing things quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

awec wrote: »
    Having two different resolutions is ok, but dragging windows from one monitor to another will mean resizing things quite a bit.

I've had quite the opposite experience.

My MacBook has a 15in screen @ 2880x1800 resolution. Pairing it with a 24in FullHD monitor was a big no-no for me. Just looking at the different screens made my eyes hurt a bit, every time I would go from one to the other. I've since replaced the FullHD monitor with a 1440p monitor, and the experience is radically better.

Same goes for my desktop. It has a 27in gaming monitor and another 24in secondary monitor. When the secondary was 1080p, just looking at it made my eyes hurt for a second, when I'd switch from one to the other. I've replaced this one too with a 1440p monitor and I'm now fine.

My setup, in case you're wondering consists of two 24in 1440p monitors side by side, above one 27in monitor and a laptop on a stand. Monitors are all on a Duronic desk stand.

514372.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Are you running two systems side by side there? just wondering if you considered a KVM switch or similar or is there a reason you went for 2 and 2? (macbook + 1 screen and Desktop with 2 screens)

Asking as I'm using my work laptop at home and having been looking at KVM switches recently to take advantage of my desktop setup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

RedXIV wrote: »
    Are you running two systems side by side there? just wondering if you considered a KVM switch or similar or is there a reason you went for 2 and 2? (macbook + 1 screen and Desktop with 2 screens)

I usually have just one of them on at any given time. When working, the desktop is off. When playing, the laptop is off. I turned them both on for the photo.

The large monitor is also hooked to an XBox One X via HDMI, and I switch the input when I play on the console.
    RedXIV wrote: »
    Asking as I'm using my work laptop at home and having been looking at KVM switches recently to take advantage of my desktop setup

If you can afford them, I would highly recommend Logitech MX Keys and MX Master 3 combo. They are expensive, but they are amazing. You can easily connect them to up to 3 machines (PC, Mac), and switch between them seamlessly with the Options app.

Otherwise, have a look at Synergy. It's a software solution that allows you to operate multiple machines with the same keyboard and mouse. This works well, but you need to have the server online (the machine where the keyboard and mouse are physically connected) in order to operate the other one.

Advertisement