Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to do with my car I left in Ireland?

• 26-05-2020 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey all,

I was living in Ireland and came there with my left-hand car when I moved there 3 years ago.

Now I'm back to my home country in Croatia and I'm thinking of what is the best way to get some money out of it?

I've put on paper all my expenses (plane tickets, ferry tickets, 2000km of fuel to get it back, etc.) that I would have if I wanted to return it here in Croatia, but it doesn't seem feasible money wise to get it here and sell it.

Car stats:
    Ford Fiesta
    200 000 km
    Petrol
    - left-hand
    - NCT valid until 23/12/2020
    - gear box doesn't work properly, fixed it a year ago, but before I left I noticed issue with it again and it should be fixed.

Does anyone know what's the best way to sell it, put it online for sale, for parts or as scrape?

I'm also interested if I can sell it in any form without going back to Ireland just for this? Car is currently with my wife's sister.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, for that car and age I doubt you'd get any real money.
    And left-hand drive will put most people off.

You could put it on adverts/donedeal and see if someone is interested.
    Else give it away on facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It may appeal to someone from Eastern Europe who is returning home and wants to bring a cheap LHD car home with them. However if the gearbox is broken and with 200k on the clock you might not get that much for it but probably more than it's scrap value which would be less than €100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

To sell it you need to sign the back of the vehicle registration certificate. If you were to get your sister to post that over to you, sign it and then post it back it would allow her to complete the sale for you.

However, the car is probably essentially worthless due to being left-hand-drive and of that age.

Exporting it would be probably more expensive than the value of the car itself.

If it’s in good condition, consider marketing it in Dublin and Cork - big population and near car ferries. Plenty of people who have a holiday home in France and a LHD car with an Irish reg at a low price might actually be useful to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The OP doesn't have to change ownership or export it themselves in order to sell it though. The OP's sister in law can sell it on their behalf to someone for export as long as they are in possession of the Irish log book. They just give it to the new buyer who is exporting it. The biggest problem is getting someone to buy it with a dodgy gearbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

You can’t sell a car you don’t own. He would have to transfer ownership to his sister first, or at least pre sign the paperwork.
    The Vehicle Registration Cert (log book) has to go back to the Department of Transport in Clare to complete the change of ownership.

If you've paperwork going back and forth to Croatia at the moment, just bear in mind it may take considerably longer than usual.
    I posted documents to Spain and they took 30 days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You can’t sell a car you don’t own. He would have to transfer ownership to his sister first, or at least pre sign the paperwork.
    The Vehicle Registration Cert (log book) has to go back to the Department of Transport in Clare to complete the change of ownership.

If you've paperwork going back and forth to Croatia at the moment, just bear in mind it may take considerably longer than usual.

Should have put a stamp on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Definitely not, if it's going to be exported....seeing as you appear to have replied to the post which stated this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Newer model Fiesta would still be worth a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Would you stop. Assuming he left the reg cert with the sister (as the car is there), and they get a buyer, she just signs the cert in his name. I'd imagine it's done regularly. I did it last week with my fathers car. It's hardly a shootable offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

To sell it you need to sign the back of the vehicle registration certificate. If you were to get your sister to post that over to you, sign it and then post it back it would allow her to complete the sale for you.

Why would you go to all that hassle instead of thr sister just signing his name? The only person that would ever have an issue with the signature would be the cars owner , but hes the one selling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭fran38

OP getting the gearbox fixed may be in excess of what you could get for it if you sold it. Sell it off as scrap. You'll get 100/150 for it. Be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Car stats:
    Ford Fiesta

Frank, is that you?!!? :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is it the newer model from late 08? That would make a huge difference as the step up in appeal and competence from the older model is huge. The newer one has very strong resale values, they go for good money even at ten years old, easily 5k plus for a clean one.
    Fords are cheap to fix, that's one of the great things about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Frank, is that you?!!? :eek::eek::eek:
    :p:p:p

Advertisement