Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Rig - Upgrade advice

Options
  • 26-05-2020 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭

Had to dust off an old desktop for WFH looks like I will be until September now.

Specs:

i3 4130 (1150 LGA)
    H97M-HD3 motherboard
    8GB DDR3 (800MHz)
    1 GB HDD
    No GPU using onboard

Looking for any cheap enough upgrades. Was thinking a small SSD and i5 4460 (they seem to be cheap enough at the moment). Maybe some quicker RAM.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The SSD will be a huge difference, any compatible i5 or i7 will be the icing on the cake.

My office PC until late 2019 was a Core2Duo from 2007 so if you're only using basic MS Office / Windows apps it will be plenty fast at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

If its just standard office suite and browser based stuff, an SSD is all you realistically need. The processor would be nice too of course but I'd first make sure you have a good supportive chair and ergonomic desk, keyboard and mouse arrangement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Wouldn't mind getting a few older games in play at some stage too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Wouldn't mind getting a few older games in play at some stage too :)

If they're older games, at this stage you can get something like an i5-4440 for €30-40 2nd hand, and something like a 2nd hand GTX1050 for €80 will run games from 2015 downwards at high/ultra effortlessly.

Advertisement