Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify please

Options
  • 26-05-2020 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

Am surrounded by this stuff, what is it?

514347.JPG

514348.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Horsetail. A struggle to eradicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hateful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

This weed gets asked about so often it needs its own dedicated thread.

Could be a short one as the only sure way I know to get rid of it is to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

GinSoaked wrote: »
    This weed gets asked about so often it needs its own dedicated thread.

Could be a short one as the only sure way I know to get rid of it is to move.

Someone once told me it's easier to burn the house down and buy a new one than get rid of marestail!

Funny story.

I used to work in commercial landscaping and we had one site that was infested with it.

The way we worked was normally to arrive on site cut the grass then do some weeding on the beds. This one time we had an extra guy, not the sharpest pencil in the box, and no mower for him so I put him on weeding straight off. When we finished the grass about 2 hours later I couldn't see what he had done. Turns out he thought the Mare's Tail was little trees and he'd weeded around them :rolleyes: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭standardg60

Funny story.

I used to work in commercial landscaping and we had one site that was infested with it.

The way we worked was normally to arrive on site cut the grass then do some weeding on the beds. This one time we had an extra guy, not the sharpest pencil in the box, and no mower for him so I put him on weeding straight off. When we finished the grass about 2 hours later I couldn't see what he had done. Turns out he thought the Mare's Tail was little trees and he'd weeded around them :rolleyes: :eek:

Lol i was actually going to comment on the OP's little prehistoric forest!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Im goin outside to clap for you Gryzor! The only thing to clear that is a deisel powered flame thrower!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Funny story.

Ha, brilliant. :-)

One place I worked in the UK for quite a long time was on a soil know as Bagshot Sand. It really was just like sand with a bit of humus in it. Joke was that the soil was so hungry if you left your jacket out over night it would eat it.

Anyway we also had very deep land drains that needed digging up occasionally to get tree roots out of them. One day I had to dig down 6 foot to get to a land drain and there was nothing living in the soil below 2 feet down except Mare's Tail which went all the way down to 6 foot and beyond.

Advertisement