Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room advice

Options
  • 26-05-2020 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've recently moved into my partner's house (only took a pandemic :)) 30km from where I work, I'm currently staying here full time, but when restrictions are lifted I will be staying 2 nights p/w in my fathers house (he needs a little looking after) 3 nights in my own house, and 2 nights in OH's house.

I was thinking of renting out a room in my own house, and would ask for some advice.

Would I be liable to pay tax on the money received given that I'm not in my house the majority of the time - prob wouldn't bother renting if I was.

What advice would you give ? Re rules etc when letting someone you don''t know rent a room in your house?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

Firblog wrote: »
    Hi, I've recently moved into my partner's house (only took a pandemic :)) 30km from where I work, I'm currently staying here full time, but when restrictions are lifted I will be staying 2 nights p/w in my fathers house (he needs a little looking after) 3 nights in my own house, and 2 nights in OH's house.

I was thinking of renting out a room in my own house, and would ask for some advice.

Would I be liable to pay tax on the money received given that I'm not in my house the majority of the time - prob wouldn't bother renting if I was.

What advice would you give ? Re rules etc when letting someone you don''t know rent a room in your house?

Cheers
    You get the tax exemption on rent a room of your principal private residence. How many nights you spend sleeping over at G/F or dad’s house is no one’s business. Make sure you all bills and official correspondence address is registered to your own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is a question of fact whether or not yuo are living there. try to stagger the pattern so that your lodgers can't claim you are never there on the same nights each week. eg don't always stay away on the same four nights on the trot every week. It would probably be better to sleep out at the weekends and two random nights during the week as well as calling round at the weekends to to gardening, repairs etc.

Advertisement