Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasty Journalists.

Options
  • 26-05-2020 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

The line of questioning towards experts, politicians etc in relation to nursing homes is very frustrating and annoying...what bloody answer are they trying to drag out of these guys,. World wide pandemic the likes that the majority of humans never experienced, it hit us like a wave with a ferocity that has shocked and scared the World.. vulnerable people were hit hardest,. Is it not obvious that unfortunately the elderly would suffer the most(so sad but fact). The same has happened in every country of the World with very very few exceptions.
    Sorry but what answer are these journalists and some political representatives looking for. Is there a blame game going on,it seems so insensitive to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Not to mention the head of the private nursing homes association or whatever it is called doing her best to pass the buck.

Didn’t some SF TD have to apologise for spreading “fake news” by massively exaggerating the death toll in one home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Do you not think that people in power and positions of authority need to be questioned vigorously? Irish citizens have suffered badly in the past because people were afraid to challenge such things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Didn’t some SF TD have to apologise for spreading “fake news” by massively exaggerating the death toll in one home.

Didnt Simon Harris say there be 15000 tests a day back in march. That's why they need to be questioned.

debok wrote: »
    Didnt Simon Harris say there be 15000 tests a day back in march. That's why they need to be questioned.

No idea why you are quoting my post.

For the record:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/sinn-fein-td-apologises-after-falsely-claiming-17-people-died-in-one-nursing-home-39149665.html

“Sinn Féin TD Dessie Ellis has been forced to apologise after incorrectly claiming 17 people died in one nursing home.”

• Advertisement

A bit of context to this ‘claim’ (?) might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Didn't Simon say there were 18 other Covid viruses with vaccines.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Didn't Simon say there were 18 other Covid viruses with vaccines.

Stick up a link there, would love to read that, thanks.

I have already posted a link to the apology from Dessie Ellis for disseminating fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

As bad as today's breed of journalists are they should be allowed ask questions

No idea why you are quoting my post.

For the record:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/sinn-fein-td-apologises-after-falsely-claiming-17-people-died-in-one-nursing-home-39149665.html

“Sinn Féin TD Dessie Ellis has been forced to apologise after incorrectly claiming 17 people died in one nursing home.”

Quoting you because the thread was about journalists tough questioning but you straightaway brought sinn Fein into it.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1124042/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Unfortunately the ****ty journalism that goes on in the UK is seeping over here. The last 4 days in the UK has been an all time low for their journalism with the exaggerations, lies and downright nastyness. Mind you, they've always been like that in my memory. They're one of the worse in the world for it, invented it even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I have already posted a link to the apology from Dessie Ellis for disseminating fake news.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/simon-harris-sorry-for-awful-boo-boo-about-18-viruses-before-covid-19-1.4235478?mode=amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/simon-harris-sorry-for-awful-boo-boo-about-18-viruses-before-covid-19-1.4235478%3fmode=amp

I'll stick one up later, just sipping a g&t here in the garden at the moment, but if ye cannot wait just google, 'Simon Harris 18...' and google predicts brings you to his other few viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The line of questioning towards experts, politicians etc in relation to nursing homes is very frustrating and annoying...what bloody answer are they trying to drag out of these guys,. World wide pandemic the likes that the majority of humans never experienced, it hit us like a wave with a ferocity that has shocked and scared the World.. vulnerable people were hit hardest,. Is it not obvious that unfortunately the elderly would suffer the most(so sad but fact). The same has happened in every country of the World with very very few exceptions.
    Sorry but what answer are these journalists and some political representatives looking for. Is there a blame game going on,it seems so insensitive to me.

Two ways of looking at it.

1. The snowflake way, where you are offended and outraged at a highly paid and powerful elected person being held to account for the failures and the shortcomings of the crisis on his or her watch by a journalist just doing their job, and feeling an outpouring of sympathy for the poor person/manager/politician in question.

2. Feeling a sense of pride that there are still some journalists who have an actual pair of balls and will ask the hard questions that need to be asked- why wasn't more done to protect nursing homes, who is responsible for the many deaths in nursing homes etc and not to let some extremely well paid authority figure wiggle off the hook by reaming off a few statistics and a vague promise to "do better" in the future.

Personally im for number 2, especially when you have ministers who break the very rules they came up with whilst hundreds and thousands of people stuck faithfully to the rules, despite massive hardship and sacrifice.

Sadly this generation are so fragile, that when we see a politician being called to task, they immediately cry bullying and point the finger at the journalist, instead of squarely back at the person who needs to answer some very tough questions and not to just pass the buck like a coward.

Quoting you because the thread was about journalists tough questioning but you straightaway brought sinn Fein into it.

What exactly is your claim? Did it not come to fruition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

What about.....

I'll stick one up later, just sipping a g&t here in the garden at the moment, but if ye cannot wait just google, 'Simon Harris 18...' and google predicts brings you to his other few viruses.

Or I can wait for you to post a link to back it up. Cheers.

What exactly is your claim? Did it not come to fruition?

No

Or I can wait for you to post a link to back it up. Cheers.

Do you really need it spelt out to you? You bypassed two other links to ask me to post one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭GY_1980

We live in a free country. We need an antagonistic media to question those who hold power.

I brought an SF TD into it (not SF as a whole as you incorrectly claim) as an example of a politician rightly being called to task by the media for spreading fake news.

Do you really need it spelt out to you? You bypassed two other links to ask me to post one?

Can you not just post it instead of playing games? I have no idea which links or posts you mean. You made a claim, you back it up. FFS.

Can you not just post it instead of playing games? I have no idea which links or posts you mean. You made a claim, you back it up. FFS.

The links are all above.

I brought an SF TD into it (not SF as a whole as you incorrectly claim) as an example of a politician rightly being called to task by the media for spreading fake news.

Sorry I was reading the "random things you would like to ban thread " and in that you said you'd ban sinn Fein. Then I read this thread and your only example of a politician be called up on bull**** was a sinn Fein TD. Surely Harris being called out on claiming there was 18 other viruses can also be used as an example.

How can you claim not to see the links
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/simon-harris-sorry-for-awful-boo-boo-about-18-viruses-before-covid-19-1.4235478%3fmode=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Media held off during the crisis period, so they have to make up for it now that we're going back to business as usual.

The media in general have a poor understanding of health issues and most of the health sector/professions have less developed PR than other interests that might be their adversaries in certain disputes. Doctors tend to have a quaint, or honourable depending on your point of view, idea that doing their job well is more important than spin.

As a result health issues are badly misrepresented within the Media. The cervical check scandal being a case in point. With the exception of Susan Mitchell at the Business Post it was wilfully misreported in a way that misled the vast majority of the public.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

We've had 15000 capacity for a good while now.

I asked the poster who made the claim to provide a link. I don’t understand what his / her problem is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We had old people being sent from hospitals into nursing homes untested, and this contributed to the death toll.
    But is your argument that politicians responsible for health policy should not be questioned?

Advertisement