Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasty Journalists.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

The line of questioning towards experts, politicians etc in relation to nursing homes is very frustrating and annoying...what bloody answer are they trying to drag out of these guys,. World wide pandemic the likes that the majority of humans never experienced, it hit us like a wave with a ferocity that has shocked and scared the World.. vulnerable people were hit hardest,. Is it not obvious that unfortunately the elderly would suffer the most(so sad but fact). The same has happened in every country of the World with very very few exceptions.
    Sorry but what answer are these journalists and some political representatives looking for. Is there a blame game going on,it seems so insensitive to me.

Dont worry bout it man, them politicians and experts are getting well paid enough not to worry too much about their senses anyways

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

High time this one was “wrapped up” and shipped over to the “Current Affairs” forum.

Real danger of “malingering” loonies infecting this place. We really don’t need these “types” negatively affecting the integrity of AH.

Would be great to have a “Move to CA” button, would really help in getting these threads shifted before the “rot” sets in.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Do you not think that people in power and positions of authority need to be questioned vigorously? Irish citizens have suffered badly in the past because people were afraid to challenge such things

Ahhhh c'mon there's only so many times you can look for the answer you're 'hoping' to get.. the nasty nasty people are trying to get one of those poor recipients of their questioning to put Elderly and COVID-19 in the same sentence.... They think they can say what they want ask whatever comes into their 'journalistic' brains and somebody will eventually bite.... Fb generation shíte morphed into real life..

High time this one was “wrapped up” and shipped over to the “Current Affairs” forum.

Real danger of “malingering” loonies infecting this place. We really don’t need these “types” negatively affecting the integrity of AH.

Would be great to have a “Move to CA” button, would really help in getting these threads shifted before the “rot” sets in.

The reason I put this thread in ah is that us everyday folk can start acting like journalists and post whatever shíte we like.

Two ways of looking at it.

1. The snowflake way, where you are offended and outraged at a highly paid and powerful elected person being held to account for the failures and the shortcomings of the crisis on his or her watch by a journalist just doing their job, and feeling an outpouring of sympathy for the poor person/manager/politician in question.

2. Feeling a sense of pride that there are still some journalists who have an actual pair of balls and will ask the hard questions that need to be asked- why wasn't more done to protect nursing homes, who is responsible for the many deaths in nursing homes etc and not to let some extremely well paid authority figure wiggle off the hook by reaming off a few statistics and a vague promise to "do better" in the future.

Personally im for number 2, especially when you have ministers who break the very rules they came up with whilst hundreds and thousands of people stuck faithfully to the rules, despite massive hardship and sacrifice.

Sadly this generation are so fragile, that when we see a politician being called to task, they immediately cry bullying and point the finger at the journalist, instead of squarely back at the person who needs to answer some very tough questions and not to just pass the buck like a coward.

The WHO have no real answers in relation to COVID-19.. so what answers do you expect from political reps, nursing home managers/owners, HSE etc etc.
    And as for UK and this MP even if he did make a mistake an error of judgement, Why should he resign!? Him resigning won't make COVID-19 miraculously vanish..
    That is the end goal RIGHT?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Good points well made, E.

debok wrote: »
    Surely Harris being called out on claiming there was 18 other viruses can also be used as an example.

Of course it can, as long as the person provides a link for those of us who never heard about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Of course it can, as long as the person provides a link for those of us who never heard about it.

You were provided with a link

You were provided with a link

Not by the poster.

Amirani wrote: »
    We've had 15000 capacity for a good while now.

I was pointing out he said in march 15000 in a few days. That would be 105000 a week. It's end of may now and we have 325000 test done. So I doubt we've met the 15000 a day too often. I actually think we've handled well but reporters need to ask tough questions.

• Advertisement

I was pointing out he said in march 15000 in a few days. That would be 105000 a week. It's end of may now and we have 325000 test done. So I doubt we've met the 15000 a day too often. I actually think we've handled well but reporters need to ask tough questions.

Test capacity is not the same thing as the demand for tests / number of tests completed. 325k test completed is meaningless when discussing test capacity.

As of mid May:

“There is capacity there to carry out up to 13,000 tests a day but the Director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory say there is only around a quarter of that demand at present.”

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/irish-covid-19-testing-system-among-best-in-europe--hse-998808.html

Test capacity is not the same thing as the demand for tests / number of tests completed. 325k test completed is meaningless when discussing test capacity.

As of mid May:

“There is capacity there to carry out up to 13,000 tests a day but the Director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory say there is only around a quarter of that demand at present.”

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/irish-covid-19-testing-system-among-best-in-europe--hse-998808.html

So capacity is upto 13000 a day not 15000. Thanks for that.

RobertKK wrote: »
    We had old people being sent from hospitals into nursing homes untested, and this contributed to the death toll.
    But is your argument that politicians responsible for health policy should not be questioned?

No no no.
    The answers are being given,.the journalists are not accepting them and are pushing and pushing for no other reason than to force one of the 'questionees' to make a mistake/say something incriminating and work with that.... forcing fake news stories.
    A blind man(no disrespect) could see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's something I've noticed recently actually some people don't want Dr Tony to be asked any difficult question. (I've no idea why)

So capacity is upto 13000 a day not 15000. Thanks for that.

Yeah, happy to disprove your claim that it was far lower.

Of course capacity of 13,000 in mid May doesn’t mean capacity in early April wasn’t 15,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

We need journalists that are unafraid to question. That won't accept every glib answer given to them by any authority.
    This country is small and there's always a chance that it gets to cosy in the govt, gardai, public service and the media.
    Those that are willing to stick their neck out need to be applauded not shut down

We need journalists that are unafraid to question. That won't accept every glib answer given to them by any authority.
    This country is small and there's always a chance that it gets to cosy in the govt, gardai, public service and the media.
    Those that are willing to stick their neck out need to be applauded not shut down

This thread is about COVID-19..
    F ALL PEOPLE HAVE F ALL ANSWERS ABOUT THIS EVILNESS THAT ENVELOPED THE WORLD.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod Note:

Thread moved to Coronavirus Forum. Reminder to read the charter here before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

amusing thread

the media have been overwhelmingly timid towards the government and NPHET since march , far too tepid and accepting

It's something I've noticed recently actually some people don't want Dr Tony to be asked any difficult question. (I've no idea why)

guy has been elevated to a pedestal of near infalibility , history wont be kind to him with regard the nursing home screw up alone

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    amusing thread

the media have been overwhelmingly timid towards the government and NPHET since march , far too tepid and accepting
    guy has been elevated to a pedestal of near infalibility , history wont be kind to him with regard the nursing home screw up alone

Please share what you know about COVID-19 that nobody else around the World seems to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Please share what you know about COVID-19 that nobody else around the World seems to know.

We know that 95% of its victim's are over 65.

We need someone to answer why private hospitals are empty with procedures cancelled for 6 months?

Why has cancer screening stopped with no plans to recommence?

Why are kids off school until September when WHO have advised that is not required?

Why are face masks not mandatory?

Why were NPHET meeting minutes not published?

Do ya reckon transparency is not needed because a virus has turned up with CFR that has dropped substantially since the restrictions were implemented?

Yeah, happy to disprove your claim that it was far lower.

Of course capacity of 13,000 in mid May doesn’t mean capacity in early April wasn’t 15,000.

Sorry now where did I say it was far lower. You just proved my point that it was lower.no point continuing now .Goodnight now on Nightshift.
    Don't stay on boards all night nearly 800 posts since march you might have an addiction.

holohan personally over ruled a decision to suspend visitations to nursing homes , thus increasing the risks towards vulnerable elderly people by a sizeable degree

Sorry now where did I say it was far lower. You just proved my point that it was lower.no point continuing now .Goodnight now on Nightshift.
    Don't stay on boards all night nearly 800 posts since march you might have an addiction.

You tried to make the claim that 325,000 tests across 2 plus months was far lower than a capacity of 15,000 a day. That claim has been debunked.

I get the impression you are one of those people who cannot admit to being wrong. Pretty pointless when you are clearly wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Didn't Simon say there were 18 other Covid viruses with vaccines.

"...other coronaviruses and I don’t think they have actually successfully found a vaccine for any "

We know that 95% of its victim's are over 65.

We need someone to answer why private hospitals are empty with procedures cancelled for 6 months?

Why has cancer screening stopped with no plans to recommence?

Why are kids off school until September when WHO have advised that is not required?

Why are face masks not mandatory?

Why were NPHET meeting minutes not published?

Do ya reckon transparency is not needed because a virus has turned up with CFR that has dropped substantially since the restrictions were implemented?

These are the questions plus many 1000s more that COVID-19 is throwing up day in and day out all over the World.
    A common saying used daily probably for 100s of years and has been used throughout this World-wide pandemic, has never meant so much as now... WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER ... and to pass blame or point fingers at this time in World History is totally and utterly looking more and more as an uneducated attitude,.nasty and mean.

amusing thread

To be fair. the media has been generally too timid towards the government forever. It's nice to see them showing some kind of spine for a change.

Hopefully this will evolve into a media that asks/pushes the hard questions while retaining a sense of honesty. Although I suspect I'm asking too much of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As to the nursing homes question - how could this have happened, clutching of pearls and wringing of hands...well what happened is we outsourced the care of our old people to either the state or commercial enterprises instead of doing the job ourselves at home as had been the case since the beginning of time. And then during a pandemic for which there was no rule book and of which no one had any experience, as one would expect, mistakes were made. Death of the elderly, while sad, is 100% natural and 100% to be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

AllForIt wrote: »
    Unfortunately the ****ty journalism that goes on in the UK is seeping over here. The last 4 days in the UK has been an all time low for their journalism with the exaggerations, lies and downright nastyness. Mind you, they've always been like that in my memory. They're one of the worse in the world for it, invented it even.

What lies are those?
    Everything the journalists said in the original and follow up story proved to be true even though it was initially dismissed.
    Lies like driving 30 miles to test eyesight and then the PM pulls out a pair of glasses and says he has needed them since he got over the virus even though he was quoted in 2014 saying he was as blind as a bat.
    O Michael Gove saying he too has gone for a drive to test his eyesight.

Advertisement