Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVME as OS drive

Options
  • 26-05-2020 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭

I'm buying PC components for my brother in the States as a present to bring him up from 2005 in the desktop department!

He recently bought Skyrim Legendary edition to play with the kid and was crestfallen when I told him it wouldn't run on his ancient Dell :pac:

I've gone for a Ryzen 5 3400G with 16gb 3200mhz ram which Youtube confirms will hit 60fps min at 720p (plenty for them), a playable 30fps at 1080 low, and will be perfect for the kind of non-demanding games they would be interested in otherwise, platformers, puzzlers etc.

I'll be getting one 1tb SSD for this build, either SATA or M.2 but I've heard it can be a bit complicated to set up an NVME as your OS drive?

He'll be a complete first timer at building but he's a clever lad, just I know it's a very straightforward process with a SATA drive and I don't want to give him too much of a headache, it's a present after all so as close to plug & play, the better.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's no more complex than any other drive. It will show up in the windows installer.

At least mine did.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Issue is with old boards, if he's buying contemporary its no problem.

Advertisement