Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Given warning hours after deleting relatively harmless post.

Options
  • 26-05-2020 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,612 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I got a warning for a post which I made and then deleted. It was over on the MMA forum.

This was the post that I made and deleted a few minutes later.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113555211#post113555211

I can't see it any more because I deleted it a few minutes after making it and I made it in response to what I perceived to be a smart arse (backseat modding) remark from a poster who it appeared had followed me over from a different thread where he had called me stupid
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113555018&postcount=3058

Now in fairness the poster later said that he wasn't calling me stupid in that post and I accepted that.

Granted, I did make the post that I was warned for and I then decided to delete it because I couldn't be arsed getting into an argument. I thought it was harmless anyway. I am sure that there are timestamps on it that the mods can see to see I deleted it fairly soon after I made it.

I contacted the moderator and he basically said it didn't matter that I had deleted it. It was a few probably 5-6 hours later when he warned me so I have no idea why he was looking at deleted posts.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Very difficult to follow the sequence here but I think I have it now.

Can you just confirm that you have discussed the card with the moderator and given him adequate time to engage?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,612 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Very difficult to follow the sequence here but I think I have it now.

Can you just confirm that you have discussed the card with the moderator and given him adequate time to engage?

Sure. his last message was

Appeal away, you are fully entitled to.

But just because you delete something doesn't mean you can initially post something insulting someone and then delete it a few minutes later to avoid getting a card.

I'm not upset at all, I'm not the one offended by the comment.

You have said you are going to appeal it so we are done discussing it here.

Sequence was that I was annoyed at one poster on another thread.
    Then poster made what I thought was a smart arse remark on MMA thread.
    I made a quip in response.
    I subsequently thought better of it and deleted it (I can't remember exactly but I think only a couple of minutes)
    5-6 hours later I received a card for it.

I did make the post, but I deleted it.

I also apologized to the same poster on the other thread because he said that he was not calling me stupid and I had thought he was. Here was that

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113555092&postcount=3062

I just thought it was a bit harsh to get a card for what was a fairly harmless post that I had already deleted myself anyway.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Ok, thanks.

I will flag this for CMod review.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi,
    I'm taking a look at this for you.

To remind you, your post was:
    That time of the month?

Steve wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm taking a look at this for you.

To remind you, your post was:

Yes. Correct. I have it in the messages from the moderator. That is where I was able to retrieve the link from.

The other poster had made an insulting remark and asked if I could say something that was even funny. So I made a quip. Then decided to delete it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi DT.

I have reviewed this.

1) I 99% believe your account of the timeline. Going on the timestamps of the reported posts, it was more than a few minutes but I don't believe it was much longer than 20 mins before you deleted it. I can't see an exact time on that, I can only see a log of when a mod deletes a post.

2) What you posted was most certainly actionable. It was a personal attack on another user. It was certainly seen by other forum users before you deleted it (because it was reported several times) and to add to that, anyone who is email subbed to the thread will have received an email with the content regardless of whether you subsequently deleted it. In addition to that, two posts previous to it was also off topic (as in non MMA related) and actionable and it was let slide.

3) I believe you when you state you had 'poster remorse' after you posted, and that's why you deleted it (and the previous post to it). Credit to you there.

4) The time lag between you posting and the card is understandable. Mods are not on here 24/7 nor are they expected to be. Obviously we aren't going to make public when they are on but any mod action within a reasonable timeframe is valid. Certainly 48 hrs maybe more, it depends on what was posted.

5) What you should have done was report the posts that annoyed you instead of reacting and responding to them. As you said above, it was all really started by a misunderstanding that was cleared up afterwards. Yet, here we are in DRP. I've had to put some hours into finding out what went on, the mod has had to explain all his actions to me, all because you 'reacted'.

Given the above, I'm prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt here if you take on board that what you posted was not the right thing to do and you'll think more carefully before you hit the 'post' button in future.

Back to you..

Yes. I am genuinely sorry for causing you the work. I did not realise that it would take hours work. Thank you for taking the time to look at it.

I know I shouldn't have written it - that was why I deleted it.

I was annoyed by his post and it was a rush of blood on my part but I genuinely do not want him to be warned for his one or anything. Saying it was a rush of blood is not an excuse because I still should not have reacted. His post was not that big a deal looking back. I was just annoyed at the time - mainly on the other thread and I shouldn't have let it spill over. Please do not take my posts here as reporting his. I am fine for his to be left at it is.

I had apologised to the poster on the other thread for misunderstanding him there. I thought he was calling me stupid there. I am happy to apologise to him too in some other manner as in on that MMA thread or by IM or even on here -

I will stay off that MMA thread for a while. I will think more in future and take a break before replying to things in the future.

I'm actually going to take a break from posting altogether for a while. I don't like causing trouble. I do it and then I genuinely regret it afterwards.

Thanks again for taking the time to read through all the stuff.

Admin: Members are reminded that you are not allowed to post in a DRP thread unless invited to do so by an Admin.

Thanks for your honest replies.

If you want to take a break from posting, that's your call. However, I think you have self learned a valuable life lesson here. Build on that and it will stand to you.

Stay safe.

S.

• Advertisement

Before this is closed, yeah I saw the troll invasion. Will deal with that later.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thank you both

Marking resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement