Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lining Wall for painting

• 26-05-2020 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭

I've one wall in a room that had vinyl wallpaper on it and since I stripped it the wall looks like a map of the world. I thinnk there was paint underneath the paper. Anyway, I want to try lining paper rather than getting it skimmed just now so was just wondering if anyone has any tips for this.

Mainly I'm just wondering if it's best to paste the wall and stick up the paper or paste the paper. I'm only planning to paint it white once it's up.

Also, if there are brands you'd recommend over others.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I've one wall in a room that had vinyl wallpaper on it and since I stripped it the wall looks like a map of the world. I thinnk there was paint underneath the paper. Anyway, I want to try lining paper rather than getting it skimmed just now so was just wondering if anyone has any tips for this.

Mainly I'm just wondering if it's best to paste the wall and stick up the paper or paste the paper. I'm only planning to paint it white once it's up.

Also, if there are brands you'd recommend over others.

Thanks

I'd advise you to get 1000 grade paper, 800 is probably to light and 1.200 is to heavy. No particular brand really most are similar.
    As for paste, I'd normally suggest premixed paste, but normal packet paste will do the job.
    Give the wall a light sand to remove and loose paint. Than you will need to "size" (a watered down version of the paste) the wall prior to papering it. This will allow the paper "slide" so you can easily move it to edges and ceiling etc.
    Loosen off and plug sockets or light switches, so you can "tuck" the paper behind them.
    Measure the width of the paper, and mark out how many sheets you need for the wall, normally 3 drops per roll, for standard ceiling height
    Working from one side mark the wall using a level or plumb line to get a vertical straight line approx 2cm less that the with of the paper. This will give you a straight line to work from and make it easier to hang further sheets.
    Liberal paste the paper, make sure the edges are pasted, then fold into 2 or 3 section and leave it to absorb or a few minutes. ( it should stated what is the recommended time) hang your 1st sheet starting from the ceiling and straight line and work back into the corner of the wall. Use a brush to smooth out any bubbles working from the center to both edges. Trim the paper to the ceiling, skirting using a snap off blade. Mark the paper with a pencil the whole way down the corner of the wall and cut the pencil line with a scissors. Hang your 2nd sheet to the edge of the 1st one and again work the paper to ceiling and straight line and continue from there.
    Ensure you wipe off all excess paste from the ceiling, wall, skirting and paper with a wet/damp cloth.

Sound a big job but once you get going you'll be fine ;)

Wait at least 24 hours before painting over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

Ceepo wrote: »
    I'd advise you to get 1000 grade paper, 800 is probably to light and 1.200 is to heavy. No particular brand really most are similar.
    As for paste, I'd normally suggest premixed paste, but normal packet paste will do the job.
    Give the wall a light sand to remove and loose paint. Than you will need to "size" (a watered down version of the paste) the wall prior to papering it. This will allow the paper "slide" so you can easily move it to edges and ceiling etc.
    Loosen off and plug sockets or light switches, so you can "tuck" the paper behind them.
    Measure the width of the paper, and mark out how many sheets you need for the wall, normally 3 drops per roll, for standard ceiling height
    Working from one side mark the wall using a level or plumb line to get a vertical straight line approx 2cm less that the with of the paper. This will give you a straight line to work from and make it easier to hang further sheets.
    Liberal paste the paper, make sure the edges are pasted, then fold into 2 or 3 section and leave it to absorb or a few minutes. ( it should stated what is the recommended time) hang your 1st sheet starting from the ceiling and straight line and work back into the corner of the wall. Use a brush to smooth out any bubbles working from the center to both edges. Trim the paper to the ceiling, skirting using a snap off blade. Mark the paper with a pencil the whole way down the corner of the wall and cut the pencil line with a scissors. Hang your 2nd sheet to the edge of the 1st one and again work the paper to ceiling and straight line and continue from there.
    Ensure you wipe off all excess paste from the ceiling, wall, skirting and paper with a wet/damp cloth.

Sound a big job but once you get going you'll be fine ;)

Wait at least 24 hours before painting over it
    Thanks so much for all the detailed advice. Got the 1000 grade paper today so will see how I go. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Thanks so much for all the detailed advice. Got the 1000 grade paper today so will see how I go. Thanks again

No problem. Best if luck with it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭J.R.

When fully dry if you get some slight gaps between the sheets from shrinkage you can fill them with filler and sand lightly to blend into paper.

When painted you wont even notice the joints.

Advertisement