Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these Acer's in trouble? Should I do something?

Options
  • 26-05-2020 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I've planted, in front of a recent wall I did (backfilled with soil), 3 Acer's, can't recall the specific type. But I've noticed at the base the bottom branches look like they're really struggling. Trees are about 1.5 weeks old. Should I leave alone and the tree will recover in time or should I do something with them? I'm not watering that much, maybe twice since planted, as the soil is still damp there. Pictures attached

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

To me, the close-up photo seems to show that you've planted them too deeply, I'm sure someone else will confirm or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Acers like acid soil, what soil type have you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jashar99

I think it is possibly from the strong winds of last week and the plants got burnt as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Oh yeah, it was fairly windy up here (top of a valley). The soil is more or less neutral, I think, I haven't checked it in years. Should I being giving the trees some sort of plant food supplement?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no need to do that for a tree usually.
    the wind would have been a problem, we're not particularly exposed and some fresh growth on my beech got a bit wind scorched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Those acers really do not like wind and are easily damaged. I think you will find that, whatever about their current situation - and they do seem to take a while to settle - once their heads appear above that wall they will be very susceptible to damage from the wind coming down the slope. If they are a very small variety that may not be an issue.

I don't think the soil type is that significant, I have grown a very nice acer in very average, non-acid soil. Another one, in similar soil was more exposed even though in a completely walled garden and it suffered badly from weather.

Agree with NH that it looks a bit deeply planted, not sure if that would be a major issue though, usually trees are upset by too-deep planting.

Love your walls btw, they look very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Thanks all, appreciate the advice. Looksee, yeah, am very happy with it. It's a bit wonky but looks nice. I had to roam around looking for suitable stones, eventually got a farmer to send me some. It used to just be a steep slope. I've lined the top with perennials which hopefully will spill down over it and I'll plant a border of lavender across it today.

If I had enough stones I would have gone higher to create a more level area but was worried with the stones being too small the wall would be unstable with the kids playing and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

no need to do that for a tree usually.
    the wind would have been a problem, we're not particularly exposed and some fresh growth on my beech got a bit wind scorched.
    What is Wind Scorch?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's when the soft leaves of a plant look like shrivelled and often black as if they've been scorched by a flame, but it's actually damage done by the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Do they just fall off and regrow then? Similar looking leaves on my ash tree at the moment and I can't tell if it's because of the wind over the weekend or ash die back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Do they just fall off and regrow then? Similar looking leaves on my ash tree at the moment and I can't tell if it's because of the wind over the weekend or ash die back

There was an unusual constant easterly wind for a week or so which caused quite a bit of scorch. They should naturally recover over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

I've planted, in front of a recent wall I did (backfilled with soil), 3 Acer's, can't recall the specific type. But I've noticed at the base the bottom branches look like they're really struggling. Trees are about 1.5 weeks old. Should I leave alone and the tree will recover in time or should I do something with them? I'm not watering that much, maybe twice since planted, as the soil is still damp there. Pictures attached

Sangokaku/Senkaki..very nice.
    Agree that it's wind scorch/ adjusting to a different environment but they don't look too bad. Give the leaves a spray when watering.

Advertisement