Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

walshb wrote: »
    You obviously have difficulty reading what you are quoting...

All the evidence needs to be taken and examined, not juts video footage of what we have here.

There was no resisting arrest as you suggested there may be. Just clarifying that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'm not even going to bother replying to you anymore.

Ok.....glad we cleared that up, so....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

All the evidence needs to be taken and examined, not juts video footage of what we have here.

The other footage was edited. I wondered how he ended up on the ground after being moved from his vehicle to the wall. This video shows he was placed there without fuss and again was picked up without fuss and led away. Other than a split second at the very end nothing is shown other than him complying with the officers. I think its 99.9% clear this man did little wrong. Maybe a bodycam shows the split second why they ended up on the ground but I can't see it being ground breaking for the officers involved.

All very strange

Why did the cop keep kneeling on the neck when he knew he was being filmed and the man had stopped breathing at about the 4 minute mark.

Something had to have happened between Floyd being sat at the wall and ending up on the ground at the end of the car with three cops pinning him down.

Floyd was no snow angel either and apparently was involved in forgery at the time of arrest - what that involves is unclear but could be something sinister as credit card fraud or impersonation?

You think police need a valid reason for being heavy handed with a black man?

History would suggest not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

All very strange

Why did the cop keep kneeling on the neck when he knew he was being filmed and the man had stopped breathing at about the 4 minute mark.

Something had to have happened between Floyd being sat at the wall and ending up on the ground at the end of the car with three cops pinning him down.

Floyd was no snow angel either and apparently was involved in forgery at the time of arrest - what that involves is unclear but could be something sinister as credit card fraud or impersonation?

This, this **** right here is exactly what is wrong with the world.

Something HAD to have happened? Why? Because he's black? Maybe just overzealous cops?

Mr Floyd was no angel because APPARENTLY he was involved in some form of forgery? Something sinister involved?

Jesus ****ing christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

KiKi III wrote: »
    There are two videos, from two different angles as well as bystander witnesses.

Nothing will ever be enough for some people. No amount of evidence will do.

I got the evidence. I remarked on it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Have you watched the 10 minute video?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Something HAD to have happened? Why? Because he's black? Maybe just overzealous cops?

Mr Floyd was no angel because APPARENTLY he was involved in some form of forgery? Something sinister involved?

Jesus ****ing christ.

No need for curse words.
    Floyd was not squeaky clean and the cops were arresting him for a reason - that much is not up for debate

Jesus ****ing christ.

What has his colour to do with it?

Plenty examples of all colors being restrained all different ways...and ways similar to this....

Had he been white there would still have been a chance that this is what would have happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,753 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hold on here..

I never said he was resisting arrest. I asked a question on it due to the mentioning of it on the video....so quit that crap accusing me of lying...

Was he resisting arrest? That is a question, not a statement...

I also said that it is being reported (via video on page 1 that he may have been resisting arrest). That is not me telling lies....

And a lie is not always someone getting something wrong....educate yourself on what exactly constitutes a lie...

Is that right?
    walshb wrote:
    The level of force/restraint can depend on the situation and the individual that the police are dealing with

Had this man not resisted arrest at all and cooperated, then it is very likely he would not have been restrained like this....

It is very sad that he died, of course, but the police officers involved may have felt that the force needed was justified, given the circumstances...

I doubt that they wanted to kill him....

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Is that right?

Yes, and I should have put a question mark at the end of my statement.

I asked the question.....was it possible that he resisted arrest....?

Anyway, even if I did make a statement that turns out to be wrong that does not make it a lie.....a lie is the "deliberate" intention to deceive and mislead by uttering a falsehood....

So let's be clear here.....I did not lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Anyway, even if I did make a statement that turns out to be wrong that does not make it a lie.....a lie is the "deliberate" intention to deceive and mislead by uttering a falsehood....

Okay, you just keep insinuating that the man provoked the police somehow when all the available evidence suggests he did not.

Why?

No it seems pretty clear that you did lie.

No need for curse words.
    Floyd was not squeaky clean and the cops were arresting him for a reason - that much is not up for debate

But it had to be something sinister? Couldn't have been something trivial like him handing over a forged bill which he had received elsewhere and didn't realise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

People claiming Floyd somehow deserved this or had it coming are just as bad as those drumming the racist angle in my eyes.

Both are without evidence and divisive.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Okay, you just keep insinuating that the man provoked the police somehow when all the available evidence suggests he did not.

Why?

Well, because before I'd sack or jail these officers, or that one particular officer, I'd like to have ALL the facts.....

I am not ready to decide based off videos appearing on the web; not saying the videos can not be considered, of course they can.

But it had to be something sinister? Couldn't have been something trivial like him handing over a forged bill which he had received elsewhere and didn't realise?

It doesn’t matter what it was, a bad note or a bad cheque or a bad card, or a forgery, or a counterfeit. That’s not a crime that warrants police brutality or death in custody.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,542 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well, because before I'd sack or jail these officers, or that one particular officer, I'd like to have ALL the facts.....

I am not ready to decide based off videos appearing on the web; not saying the videos can not be considered, of course they can.

Given the evidence you have so far

Do you think he was resisting arrest? If you do believe this then please explain why you believe it.

It’s not surprising that there are racists trying to suggest it was Mr floyds own fault.

2u2me wrote: »
    People claiming Floyd somehow deserved this or had it coming are just as bad as those drumming the racist angle in my eyes.

Both are without evidence and divisive.

There is a ton of evidence that police brutality is felt more keenly among the African American community than among white people.

It happens at judicial level as well. Judges hand out harsher sentences to black people than white peoples convicted of similar crimes.

This is well documented whether you want to believe it or not.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    No it seems pretty clear that you did lie.

Ok, so what is the definition of a lie?

It's not that difficult to google it....

There was no intention on my part to utter a falsehood to mislead anyone...

As it stands, nobody knows yet if the person resisted arrest. That will be established only by an investigation....

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Well said Brendan.

Let’s gather the facts and ALL evidence before crucifying men who were doing their job.
    Floyd was involved in forgery and didn’t end up On the ground for no reason, that much is established

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Hypothetically speaking, what is it that Floyd could have done to warrant treatment like that from the police?

Let's say the the police come out saying they have video evidence to prove their treatment of Floyd was justified, what would that evidence be?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

BloodBath wrote: »
    Fired isn't enough. They should be charged with murder.
    This wasn’t murder. It was manslaughter.

Murder is when you intentionally kill someone.

This wasn’t an intentional killing. The officer attempted to restrain him in a way that was completely wrong and ended up killing him. This was due to negligence and incompetence.

What facts would exonerate them in your opinion, to the extent that you’d have them back at work on Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,542 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

2u2me wrote: »
    Hypothetically speaking, what is it that Floyd could have done to warrant treatment like that from the police?

Let's say the the police come out saying they have video evidence to prove their treatment of Floyd was justified, what would that evidence be?

Even if he had "resisted arrest" once he was face down and handcuffed he wasn't a danger to anyone.

Given the evidence you have so far

Do you think he was resisting arrest? If you do believe this then please explain why you believe it.

From what I have read and seen I think the man was not resisting arrest....but there are levels to this.....what is resisting? It's not all that clear cut. What is resisting to me may be different to others....

Hence the need for a proper investigation.

That is why ALL the details and evidence need considering.

Well said Brendan.

Let’s gather the facts and ALL evidence before crucifying men who were doing their job.
    Floyd was involved in forgery and didn’t end up On the ground for no reason, that much is established

Why did he end up on the ground? How has that been established?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ok, so what is the definition of a lie?

It's not that difficult to google it....

There was no intention on my part to utter a falsehood to mislead anyone...

As it stands, nobody knows yet if the person resisted arrest. That will be established only by an investigation....

You said you didn't say he was resisting arrest. A quote was showing you did.

You then claimed you meant it as a question .

Very convenient that one very significant line is all that you made a mistake in phrasing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭A Consonant Please Carol

Dirty racist scumbags. It's systematic in American police forces. Same in the UK for many years. That's not to say there's police in the UK and US that aren't racist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement