Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1267230274468929537

Suppose all those people were looting the motorway?

Bit of a sensationalist title mind,it didnt plough in to the people, they got out of the way. It was trying to, mind. And the road had been closed for an hour.

Any comment on this one?

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1267241824898473985

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

2u2me wrote: »
    They are essentially reporting from a warzone. If they get too close they will encounter some shrapnel. The article you cited mentioned:

So I was talking about the animosity the crowds/demonstrators have towards the media.

Plenty of riots in Northern Ireland over the years, and rubber bullets used often. Journalists reported there but were never Targeted by security forces.
    This is more than caught in the crossfire, or "encountering some shrapnel"

• Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don’t like seeing homeowners shot by police for standing at their own doors. I know Manic Moran disagrees, or at least sees the silver lining. That it’s quick and low impact policing. Though he is incorrect to say nobody is injured.

It reminds me, before body cameras there was a lad in Ireland who filmed the Garda from his front door. They weren’t even dealing with him but came into his property to accost him for doing nothing unlawful. I reject it as a reasonable use of force. It’s terroristic imho. Homeowners have every right to roam on their land however they please, especially of all if they are just standing there watching and filming the world around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BoroMan32 wrote: »

The first comment id make is why did he go at the woman helping the woman on the ground and she had to run away? Looks to me like a guy swinging a hockey stick at people.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

The first comment id make is why did he go at the woman helping the woman on the ground and she had to run away? Looks to me like a guy swinging a hockey stick at people.

He went after the women ROBBING the woman they'd just pushed off her bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishJedi75

#Everybodyslivesmattter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Why are loads of them getting arrested?

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1267235423752826880

I wouldn't say loads. So far I've seen two. One CNN reporter who was asked to move twice and now a huffpost journalist who covers "the far right, disinformation and hate,"

I wouldn't be surprised if he again was not complying with police orders.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he set out to get arrested to sell a story.

I would accept the narrative that the police are brutalizing the journalists if I saw more evidence.

I guess we'll have to wait for more information.

joe40 wrote: »
    Plenty of riots in Northern Ireland over the years, and rubber bullets used often. Journalists reported there but were never Targeted by security forces.

Your use of the word targeted implies they are seeking out journalists. That's just insane.

And the reporters aren’t being melodramatic about it when it’s not aimed at them.

We were laughing a bit the other night because your one on CNN was so calm and collected as she kept reporting while she’s cuing her cameraman to sidestep fresh tear gas rounds. She was so focused on reporting cars and banks etc. burning outside that nothing appeared to phase her, except people trying to jump into her shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1267230274468929537

Suppose all those people were looting the motorway?

Bit of a sensationalist title mind,it didnt plough in to the people, they got out of the way. It was trying to, mind. And the road had been closed for an hour.

How did it get onto a road supposedly closed is a big question.

• Advertisement

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    He went after the women ROBBING the woman they'd just pushed off her bike.

Im not even seeing anyone in the comments saying that?

Im not about to spend hours digging though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I swear it's surreal in a sense at the sheer anarchy that's broken out over there from some of the video's being recorded. Also hillarious they blame "far left" groups for this, I would be suprised if it's far RIGHT groups doing this in the same way the SS and such pulled back in the 30's.

#Everybodyslivesmattter

This sentiment is just read as gaslighting. It’s veiled in its way of saying “you are selfish to say black lives matter, because all lives matter.”

If someone tells you, Black Lives Matter, consider just admitting “yes, they do.”

I wouldn't be surprised if he again was not complying with police orders.

Still pushing that? Days after they were released within 90 mins with an apology. ****ing hell

Overheal wrote: »
    This sentiment is just read as gaslighting. It’s veiled in its way of saying “you are selfish to say black lives matter, because all lives matter.”

If someone tells you, Black Lives Matter, consider just admitting “yes, they do.”

If all lives matter, they should be up in arms about the black people being killed.........

Your use of the word targeted implies they are seeking out journalists. That's just insane.

It is insane but it is happening. Not “seeking out” as in going out of their way, but some police are clearly not considering journalists as a protected class of neutral presence in all of this.

Overheal wrote: »
    It is insane but it is happening. Not “seeking out” as in going out of their way, but some police are clearly not considering journalists as a protected class of neutral presence in all of this.

well, theyre being told from up on high that the media are the enemy of the people.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Infini wrote: »
    I swear it's surreal in a sense at the sheer anarchy that's broken out over there from some of the video's being recorded. Also hillarious they blame "far left" groups for this, I would be suprised if it's far RIGHT groups doing this in the same way the SS and such pulled back in the 30's.

There is no sense to it whatsoever.

Far Left, Far Right, Centre and everything in between. Every facet of society is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I would have thought so as well but reading the newspaper article was quite shocking. Over 50 complaints from media workers on social media. A journalist blinded in one eye. It is terrible.

I have copied the article again.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/31/george-floyd-protests-reporters-targeted-by-police-and-crowds

It is dangerous enough in those situations for journalists

Still pushing that? Days after they were released within 90 mins with an apology. ****ing hell

If you can't accept the duress the police are under to release him I can't help you undererstand it.

But why not just leave it at that rather than bringing it up again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,563 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Robbing EyePhone shops make the protesters look like scrotes.

Infini wrote: »

These riots where they are happening are getting past the point of left or right. We see all stripes in the crowds. In Columbia, SC, MAGA was linking up in front of police lines counter-protesting/harassing the Floyd demonstrators,, for example. Police use undercover cops as a counter insurgency method. We’ve even seen a few ambiguous videos and reports that suggest false flag acts of violence are distinct possibilities as well, in addition to lots and lots of rage from people at the cops. Stereotyping whole throngs of people at this stage into either monolithic group A or B is a disservice to truth imho.

well, theyre being told from up on high that the media are the enemy of the people.............

One of tens of thousands of pieces of tinder here. Pyres for George Floyd have lots of company in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

All lives matter. But, the only one we seem to need reminding on is black lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This shyte isn't organised. Its just many disaffected and frustrated people seeing a focus for their rage and sense of imprisonment in ane economy falling apart during a public health crisis. Also, scumbags will always scumbag.

There'll be plenty of blame to go around by the time this peters out and Antifa will be the least of their worries. Cops, street gangs, libertarians, racists and neo-fascists, 2nd amendment-ites, college students, tea partyers and plain old common or garden opportunist looters and rioters.

Robbing EyePhone shops make the protesters look like scrotes.

There are counter-looters, too.

All lives matter. But, the only one we seem to need reminding on is black lives.

I wonder why?

If you can't accept the duress the police are under to release him I can't help you undererstand it.

But why not just leave it at that rather than bringing it up again?

You brought it up. Im not just going to let you make up your own narrative unchallenged.

The police are kicking **** out of people , shooting them with rubber bullets all over the country, but they are afraid to push through a completely legitimate arrest?

Yeah, ill go with all the actual evidence thanks. The video showed plenty, the arrest was bogus. They were released without charge , with an apology, 90 minutes later.

It is dangerous enough in those situations for journalists

If the Guardian hadn't been advocating for violence a few days ago perhaps things would not be so bad.

The uncomfortable truth is that, sometimes, violence is the only answer left

• Advertisement

You brought it up. Im not just going to let you make up your own narrative unchallenged.

The police are kicking **** out of people , shooting them with rubber bullets all over the country, but they are afraid to push through a completely legitimate arrest?

Yeah, ill go with all the actual evidence thanks. The video showed plenty, the arrest was bogus. They were released without charge , with an apology, 90 minutes later.

I'm done replying to you in future. The reason I brought it up because I have only seen 2 journalists arrested, so didn't think it meant there was systematic oppression against journalists. That's why I brought it up. In a new point entirely. You are rehashing the same crap over and over maybe just to get likes while entirely ignoring the durress the police were under to release him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement