Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

Nozebleed wrote: »
    i agree..trump is an absolute simpleton. but this problem was here long before trump. personally for far too long the african american community have turned a blind eye to whats going on in african american society. and now you have these white liberals constantly pushing the false white supremacy/privilege aginst white society, the race agenda in america is constantly in the media. its false to suggest white supremacy is the root of all evil when it comes to black america...its simply not true.
    The media in America are largely responsible for such racial division imo. The media in USA is just absolute political propaganda, they don't care about the people they just want to turn everyone against their poitical opponents and calling Trump racist is the angle they chose and it's created even more division in an already unstable population. I feel bad for the people who can see the media for what it is, surrounded by idiots so their voice can't be heard. There's no hope for that country anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's funny when you see the videos and it's 70% blacks doing the looting and beating and destruction yet there's a tendency to focus in on and blame white males.

How does that work?

70% is your expert professional math?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

splinter65 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1267250164277764097?s=21

This guy is breaking up the pavement in the hope that peaceful marchers will start to throw pieces of concrete at the police and shop windows. Decent people hand him over to the police. This kind of thing gives me hope.

I would not be surprised to find some agent provocateurs in there.

Complaints are normal for cops. They are meaningless IMHO. If he had any kind of criminal past or accusations of same it would be much more indicative of his character

But every scrap of information on a negro to call him a thug right?

Vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

walshb wrote: »
    We can speculate here, but it wont be until it gets to court that every nook and cranny will be thrashed out

And sadly, as is well known, time passes, and people 'forget.' It's not as raw in their minds. All this helps Chauvin's case.

Yeah the not fresh in people’s minds really played out like this when the police were acquitted of beating Rodney King. The people of LA had forgotten alright.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,248 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Are we going to have to suffer Guy:Incognito quoting several of his own posts every second page?

You can stop, your posts are not that interesting.
    Lundstram wrote: »
    Report it. Five times he's done that now.

Quoting his own posts and dumping random Twitter posts with no explanation is killing this thread.

You are both guilty of backseat modding. Do it again and you can expect cards and a threadban

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

salmocab wrote: »
    Yeah the not fresh in people’s minds really played out like this when the police were acquitted of beating Rodney King. The people of LA had forgotten alright.

I know

I was more speaking about the actual trial and possible verdicts...

Time passing could possibly see a desensitized type jury feeling...It may help Chauvin

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭delboythedub

In My opinion after watching this video George Floyd was dead even before the ambulance arrived and those cops knew that if the spectators knew this there might be trouble so therefore kept his knee on the corpse . The video appears to shows the ambulance man asking that cop to get out of the way in order to put the body on stretcher. Any first aid person will know that this is not the correct way to correctly use a stretcher . The ambulance crew did report that there was no Pulse on George at any stage while he was in the ambulance. That cop and the victim did work together as security in a nightclub .May he rest in peace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgZncve_fDQ&bpctr=1591015892

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Trump and his man Barr meeting today to discuss the riots. They've both already been blaming democrat governors and anti fascists so it will be interesting to see where Trump takes it.
    We saw how much kick back their was on folk kneeling during the anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

walshb wrote: »
    I know

I was more speaking about the actual trial and possible verdicts...

Time passing could possibly see a desensitized type jury feeling...It may help Chauvin

A lot of video evidence to back up the prosecutions case.. where as the defence can only create a story, I believe all 4 have pleaded the 5th so they don't incriminate themselves.

I was reading a case yesterday of a car chase that resulted in the death of a suspect, all cops pleaded the 5th even when they weren't directly involved in the death. These instances are scummy, basically protecting their boys in uniform from having any bad evidence against them.

Cops have their 1st amendment of free speech removed from them when they wear the uniform yet can have the 5th even when not directly involved. Cops are there to bare witness to events and report them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just an observation from watching American news over the weekend and even the ones I listen to regularly have to cop on a small bit. Yes, the images from the past week are frightening and disturbing, but the problem is if you call everything frightening and disturbing then the moments that warrant that discription don't feel that way because it's just another video or report.

And unlike what was suggested on CNN over the weekend, the last people who should be commenting on this issue is Hollywood because while I appreciate the talent of those people, they are so far removed from the issues as anyone. Ricky gervais was right. The things they say while probably well meaning they ring hollow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

yeh. im aware of that. and both are equally as ridiculous. so called white privilege doesnt exist for 99% of white folk. its money that brings much of this privilege..no'one in america rioting these last few days can say theyre not privileged. these people come from the richest country in the world..have everything provided to them on a plate and still..they act out like this.

there's a lot of videos of black on white racism..shop keepers and the like being assaulted. i think its time the african american community leaders come out and acknowledge it. call an end to it.

This is another one of the most inaccurate posts on this thread. It exposes your lack of understanding of what white privilege refers to. Here's a clue: money has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's painful reading the wilful ignorance when there are opportunities to educate yourself easily at the tips of your fingers as well as having been explained here already. Posts like this are irresponsible, spreading misinformation which further damages society when we need to be responsibly and appropriately informing ourselves and each other with FACTS. This site needs a live fact checker... absolutely SHAMEFUL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Shing example of the two tier policing system in the US coming from Huntington Beach.

Anti lockdown protest - police focus on NOT making arrests, get in physical altercations with heavily armed protestors but look to calm the situation and allow the protest to carry on. This link has a video embedded of scenes from this protest - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8279447/Thousands-anti-lockdown-protesters-ignore-social-distancing-swarm-Huntington-Beach.html

Floyd George protest - police shut it down, call it an unlawful assembly of people, do not initially respond to request for comment, and when they do make vague references to violence but never seem to have explicitly said there was any occurring at this specific protest. Here is a video from said protest - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lgywi_HSryk

Shing example of the two tier policing system in the US coming from Huntington Beach.

Anti lockdown protest - police focus on NOT making arrests, get in physical altercations with heavily armed protestors but look to calm the situation and allow the protest to carry on. This link has a video embedded of scenes from this protest - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8279447/Thousands-anti-lockdown-protesters-ignore-social-distancing-swarm-Huntington-Beach.html

Floyd George protest - police shut it down, call it an unlawful assembly of people, do not initially respond to request for comment, and when they do make vague references to violence but never seem to have explicitly said there was any occurring at this specific protest. Here is a video from said protest - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lgywi_HSryk

Exactly.

you say that...but its not trump supporters or the so called alt right smashing up the cities across america....its the left leaning types and thugs. all of whom are living in the richest society in the western world. but all seem to think they are victims of something or another.

i laugh when i hear white supremecy being touted in the media..its complete nonsense. white supremacy/white privilege is not the problem in african american society.

And this one. When the opposite is actually true. I really hope people reading here decide to do their own independent research and do not rely on anything you read here because that post above is categorically and easily proven to be false. This poster has a clearly biased and racist leaning agenda, ignoring the real impacts of white privilege, white supremacy, and systemic racism in US/Euro-colonial society. I will even say don't take my word for it. Please, do your research and take time to understand what's at play here and how we can all help to combat what is happening there and all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Stateofyou wrote: »
    This is another one of the most inaccurate posts on this thread. It exposes your lack of understanding of what white privilege refers to. Here's a clue: money has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's painful reading the wilful ignorance when there are opportunities to educate yourself easily at the tips of your fingers as well as having been explained here already. Posts like this are irresponsible, spreading misinformation which further damages society when we need to be responsibly and appropriately informing ourselves and each other with FACTS. This site needs a live fact checker... absolutely SHAMEFUL.

let me guess...you want to be the fact checker. :rolleyes:

white supramacy = nonsense
    white privilege = nonsense............neither exist in society

...what does exist. people with an inferiority complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

markodaly wrote: »
    Cute and all, but 'who' exactly is saying that marching on the street is not the right way to protest?

Trevor Noah is a tool though, and an American supremacist at that.

Exactly how is Trevor Noah a "tool" and more importantly explain how he is an "American supremacist"?

FatherTed wrote: »
    Exactly how is Trevor Noah a "tool" and more importantly explain how he is an "American supremacist"?

That post baffled me so much I just backed away slowly.

let me guess...you want to be the fact checker. :rolleyes:

white supramacy = nonsense
    white privilege = nonsense............neither exist in society

...what does exist. people with an inferiority complex.

I literally said in my last post, "and don't take my word for it." I know you can read so try do better next time. We are all our own fact checkers. I am comfortable with that because I'm secure in the knowledge that once people reading look into this themselves, they will know that you are spreading false information. Shame on you, because real lives are being damaged by white privilege and white supremacy, though clearly it doesn't affect you so you don't care.

Folks- that quote I bolded above is SHAMEFUL and totally FALSE. Please do your own research if you have any doubts about this issue and what those terms actually refer to, and how they impact people of colour in the US.

I literally said in my last post, "and don't take my word for it." I know you can read so try do better next time. We are all our own fact checkers. I am comfortable with that because I'm secure in the knowledge that once people reading look into this themselves, they will know that you are spreading false information. Shame on you, because real lives are being damaged by white privilege and white supremacy, though clearly it doesn't affect you so you don't care.

Folks- that quote I bolded above is SHAMEFUL and totally FALSE. Please do your own research if you have any doubts about this issue and what those terms actually refer to, and how they impact people of colour in the US.

you direct all these irrational accusations toward me..claims of racism and privilege and yet you dont know whether im white or black. ive nothing to be ashamed about. you might given you're emotional state.

people dont need you or anyone else dictating how to feel about themselves..

• Advertisement

And this one. When the opposite is actually true. I really hope people reading here decide to do their own independent research and do not rely on anything you read here because that post above is categorically and easily proven to be false. This poster has a clearly biased and racist leaning agenda, ignoring the real impacts of white privilege, white supremacy, and systemic racism in US/Euro-colonial society. I will even say don't take my word for it. Please, do your research and take time to understand what's at play here and how we can all help to combat what is happening there and all over the world.

This statement is in fact a form of American Supremacism in itself. European countries are not involved in some kind of colonial enterprise these days, unless dragged along by the US empire as vassal states. In fact most were never colonial to begin with. Many, not just us but most of the Eastern Europeans, were colonised or part of an empire.

The US empire is the one killing millions in the middle east, and destabilising Europe to boot, and all of its population is responsible for that. Black, white, pink, brown. The Serbs, Scots, Irish and Hungarians - not so much. Not at all.

In fact this whole thread is testmount to American Supremacism itself, a police killing in Brazil wouldn't get a mention here.

you direct all these irrational accusations toward me..claims of racism and privilege and yet you dont know whether im white or black. ive nothing to be ashamed about. you might given you're emotional state.

people dont need you or anyone else dictating how to feel about themselves..

No, they are not irrational just because you don't have a rational response to your fake and false information. If you were a person of colour, you would be living with the impacts of white privilege and white supremacy and oppression DAILY so that's how I know you don't know anything about it - as you clearly showed yourself up here.

State of you is disgraceful. What people don't need is your SHAMEFUL and fake news. I'll pull you up every time. Get used to it.

FVP3 wrote: »
    This statement is in fact a form of American Supremacism in itself. European countries are not involved in some kind of colonial enterprise these days, unless dragged along by the US empire as vassal states. In fact most were never colonial to begin with. Many, not just us but most of the Eastern Europeans, were colonised or part of an empire.

The US empire is the one killing millions in the middle east, and destabilising Europe to boot, and all of its population is responsible for that. Black, white, pink, brown. The Serbs, Scots, Irish and Hungarians - not so much. Not at all.

In fact this whole thread is testmount to American Supremacism itself, a police killing in Brazil wouldn't get a mention here.

Ha look! The poster of this and the people who liked it are all the same ones posting racist and biased and inflammatory comments here on this thread, shocker!!

American supremacy isn't a real thing, lololololol. Look at this absolute garbage, making up terms to suit your agenda and then trying to gaslight in order to draw attention away from the real issues, the false information being spread here, and accountability for that. More whataboutism too to round it out. Pathetic show here. So obviously desperate to change the subject because you haven't got a leg to stand on. Take note of those usernames especially and where you see their posts on this thread, I would encourage people to do their own research. Absolutely disgraceful.

Many Brazilians on Boards? Many people on boards who have traveled to Brazil, live in Brazil, work in Brazil, study in Brazil or have family who do the same?

Because, we can say a lot of that of posters and the United States. As well as Australia, China and Hong Kong, and lots of other places.

This thread is the first time I recall hearing the phrase American Supremacy before.

No, they are not irrational just because you don't have a rational response to your fake and false information. If you were a person of colour, you would be living with the impacts of white privilege and white supremacy and oppression DAILY so that's how I know you don't know anything about it - as you clearly showed yourself up here.

State of you is disgraceful. What people don't need is your SHAMEFUL and fake news. I'll pull you up every time. Get used to it.

as a result of this heatwave were having..i now identify as a person of colour. :D but im normally a regular magnolia. not a racist magnolia..just regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

y........

i laugh when i hear white supremecy being touted in the media..its complete nonsense. white supremacy/white privilege is not the problem in african american society.

What is the problem then?

Overheal wrote: »
    Many Brazilians on Boards? Many people on boards who have traveled to Brazil, live in Brazil, work in Brazil, study in Brazil or have family who do the same?

Irish people arent in fact all that related to people in the US these days. It's American hegemony that makes internal US news so dominant. Less so news about the rest of the Americas. There are Irish people in Brazil of course. I lived in Mexico for a while.
    Because, we can say a lot of that of posters and the United States. As well as Australia, China and Hong Kong, and lots of other places.

And a lot aren't. To those of you in the US, start protesting US actions externally as well as internally.
    This thread is the first time I recall hearing the phrase American Supremacy before.

Which is fcuking appalling. It means the US is so dominant it appears, not only to its own insular population that its the only country in the world, but also to outsiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

FatherTed wrote: »
    To be honest, when I see a post like that it's just kind of obvious that the truth upset the poster a little and they didn't know how to handle it.

And I say that as someone who doesn't really like Trevor Noah much - they should have just ended the Daily Show after Jon Stewart left (or replaced him with John Oliver).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

yeh. im aware of that. and both are equally as ridiculous. so called white privilege doesnt exist for 99% of white folk. its money that brings much of this privilege..no'one in america rioting these last few days can say theyre not privileged. these people come from the richest country in the world..have everything provided to them on a plate and still..they act out like this.

there's a lot of videos of black on white racism..shop keepers and the like being assaulted. i think its time the african american community leaders come out and acknowledge it. call an end to it.

I live in a very diverse city in the US where people of all races support each other and get along quite well. And yes white privilege is a real thing and I've seen it. I've seen it at work, how my kids' black friends are treated at school and even neighbors having assumptions when they see some black kids riding bikes in my area.

Either you are trolling, have your head in the sand or you quietly condone what happens. Either way you are just plain wrong about this.

• Advertisement

It means the US is so dominant it appears, not only to its own insular population that its the only country in the world, but also to outsiders.

The only thing this made up term proves and the context of using it by attempting to gaslight and throw attention off the real issues and false information being spread here- is that the hatred and xenophobia towards the US is still alive and well in some.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement